1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON.COM] : Rockets get man in Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vibe, Aug 22, 2005.

1. vibe

vibe Member

Rockets get man in Anderson

Dogged pursuit pays off as guard agrees to contract

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Eight months after the Rockets thought they had Derek Anderson, they finally do.

Anderson, moved by the Rockets' long pursuit, agreed to a two-year contract, the second at his option, with the Rockets on Sunday, Anderson's agent Tony Dutt said.

"He's coming here," said Dutt, who is based in Houston. "He's looking forward to the opportunity, a chance to start, to work to earn his minutes."

Anderson, a 6-5 guard, is expected to sign with the Rockets on Tuesday. The Rockets were able to offer him their smaller salary-cap exception, worth $1.67 million the first season, considerably less than many teams had offered. Anderson had narrowed his choice to the Rockets and Lakers.

But the Rockets had been close to landing Anderson in February when Anderson thought the Trail Blazers had agreed to send him to Houston for Maurice Taylor.

Anderson, 31, who wears the word "Loyalty" on everything from clothing to jewelry to a tattoo on his back, was swayed by the Rockets' long efforts to bring him to Houston.

"That's his motto," Dutt said. "Everything around him has it. It's on his license plates, on his wristbands. It's something very important in his life. I think it (the Rockets' long-held interest in Anderson) definitely played into it. I can't say much. But I know he's mentioned to me many times the fact they wanted him to come here last year. Portland just didn't pull the trigger."

Anderson will earn the $18.84 million left on his contract with the Trail Blazers. But because Dutt was able to get Portland to waive the NBA's "set off" provision when releasing a player — the formula used to reduce a team's financial obligation when a player signs with another team — Anderson would have received the full value of the offers he received. That made the difference in the Rockets' offer and other offers more significant.

"It wasn't about the money," Dutt said. "It's about a system that works for him, to get a chance to compete on a high level again and be on a winning team."

Former 76ers guard Aaron McKie agreed to terms with the Lakers, accepting half the Lakers' midlevel exception, $2.5 million, that Los Angeles offered Anderson soon after he was released by Portland on Aug. 3 in the NBA's first luxury-tax amnesty cut.

With the Rockets, Anderson could earn playing time at shooting guard, small forward or point guard.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3319695

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

3. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

So he does give up a lot of money to come here. Wow...

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I guess this means the Rockets are not interested in Nick Van Exel. Maybe he'll take the vet minimum. Oh well, we have a stacked roster that can compete with anyone.

5. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

OK guys we need one of you computer guru's to find us some DA highlights to watch. I myself would prefer the mpeg form but i'll accept any I can get :p

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=100694&page=2&pp=30

The last post of that page I think it still working. If not there's reupped on page 3.

7. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

the "website that shall not be named" is still adimant about a 2 for 1 sprewell trade going down. that is not the bad part. they envision a scenario where spre could get paid $13 mil for 1 season. if that were to be the case, he is really jvg's favorite pet. :eek:

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

I thought a S&T had a 3 year minimum for the new contract? If so then that would be 13M for 3 years or 39M for Spree. :eek:

I guess he can feed his family afterall. :rolleyes:

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

cant be done for 13M with only 2 players we have unless you include Tmac

we dont have Spoon any longer(who had our largest expiring contract[5.89M]) adn the next largest role player contract is Howard @ 5.4M, Wesley @ 4.45M, Mooch at 3.85M, and Baker @ 3.5M.....remaining ones are Sura @ 3.2M, James @ 3.1M and WArd @ 1.7M

We would have to send more than 2 players to make up 13M.....which I can GUARANTEE you that we will nto give Spree...IF we give Spree 13M...Ill quit posting here...that is how sure I am that newsflash is a HUGE load of BS.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

happy to have someone who can do the analysis ;)

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

not that difficult man....just need a little logic and the numbers. ;)

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=9&year=2004-05

is a good place to start for the numbers....Patricia's site[ http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts ] is another great resource.

I didnt crosscheck the numbers to see if they agree on the amounts...but Im almost positive they are close...the USA Today database is pretty well setup and Patricia's site is where most of our CBA gurus get their numbers.

speaking if which...havent seen GATER or NIKE around lately...anyone else seen em?

12. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

absolutely right guys. that dildo who wrote the article had baker earning 7.4 mil. maybe he meant jh or something.