1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[82 Games] Jeremy Lin - Statistical Look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

His overall TS% is actually higher at .552, thanks to his ability draw fouls and hit them at 80%.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Those numbers are only for those 19 games.

3. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When, if ever, will you just shut your w**** mouth?

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yeah, I know, I'm just pointing out that he didn't play better than his normal in the 19 games. Still interesting to note that the dip wasn't that much even with more workload, which is a good sign.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Right. It illustrates that except for the turnovers, he was putting up offensive numbers similar to the best point guards in the NBA.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

One other thing to note about he turnovers is that he had more bad pass turnovers than ball handling turnovers, which I think is better for PG's since ball handling is 100% the ball handler's fault but bad passing could be that the receiving end messed up too.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Unless Lin makes huge improvements this year then he is the same thing Lowry and Dragic are; above average PGs that are the fourth (maybe third) best player on a contending team. I'm fine with that.

Even without the off-court perks of being a teammate of Lin, I think he will do more to bring talent to the Rockets than Lowry or Dragic did.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dragic started in 28 games for the Rockets and only 36 games in his NBA career. And people are crying about Lin's small sample size.

I am not saying Lin is better. Just think that the "Dragic is hands down better" claim is a little premature.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Facts" that are ALL stolen from opinion pieces on Bleacher Reports.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1255452-jeremy-lin-why-his-defense-will-be-his-undoing

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1073171-jeremy-lin-breaking-down-the-fact-and-fiction-of-ny-knicks-sensation/page/3

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071977-linsanity-is-insanity-reasons-why-jeremy-lin-is-overrated

You're shameless, Sigmund. A troll AND a thief who passes the words of writers from one of the worst sports sites off as his own.

1 person likes this.
  10. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Agree

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Third best on a contending team for certain. Second best if your star is a LeBron, Durant, Howard caliber player and the supporting cast is good enough.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What's Dragic's sample-size? Morey has a lot of advanced stats that merits the contact offer he received. He gave/matched Lowry's 24M contract when he was merely a "career backup" :rolleyes:

He knew Dragic was a baller and targeted him. I trust Morey's ability to find point guards. Hell, Lin would have been ours to keep last season if it wasn't for Flynn's guaranteed contract.

Btw, he can be an elite scorer. He averaged 25 a game until Melo returned and filled his usual role of being perhaps the biggest ball-stopper in the NBA.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

List of third best PER's in the last few championships:

Chris Bosh - 18.9
    Shawn Marion - 17.0
    Andrew Bynum - 20.2
    Andrew Bynum - 20.0
    Ray Allen - 16.4

Your assertion is about right. Of course, these players were all high efficiency, low usage type players, explaining some of their low(er) PER's.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lets compare Lin and Goran as starters:

Goran 18/8 TS% 61%

Lin 18/8 TS% 55%

I think Goran was better. I would have preferred we paid 8mil for him instead.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's a wash between Lin, Goran and Lowry when you look at production alone -- each has strong points and weak points.

One thing everybody seems to be overlooking: Lin galvanized that Knicks team and turned them into world-beaters until Melo came back. It might have been totally situational, but then again maybe the kid has better leadership qualities than Dragic and especially Lowry. Time will tell.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Added this tidbit in the OP:

The ability to draw fouls and hit them is a major plus in today's NBA because it puts other teams in the penalty early and it is a very high percentage shot (80% FT is the same as shooting 64% from 2). It's no surprise that Morey, who is known to love players who can draw fouls went after Lin.

17. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Very nice analysis, repped.

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Lin's age has me excited. Matching him with our young guns allows them to grow together and collectively get better. It comes with the caveat in that a bad team can fray and become discouraged, but it seems like we have solid personalities.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The the rockets were winning a bunch with Goran before lowry came back and we were a 97% lock to make the playoffs.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

How much Lin-search did it take you to come up with that Lin-fact?