1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011: The Kubiak Question

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We know this year is playoffs or bust.
    He does not make the playoffs. . . everyone will want his head

If he does make the playoffs . .. is he off the hook?
    What type of extension does that warrent him.

If 8-8 somehow gets you in the playoffs. . . . does that warrent
    say a 3 year extension?

At this point his record won't mean much . . as long as we get playoffs
    he gets another year . . . . 11-5 and no playoffs. . .people will still
    want him gone. . .

If he goes 12-4 . . i am ok with an extension
    10 - 6 . . .I say another year

My worry is. . . Wade bumps the Defense up.
    The Texans now become a playoff team
    and spend the next 6 yrs at 10-6 and getting bumped in the 1st round
    [not unlike the recent rockets . . Kubes+Wade = JVG era?]
    At what point do you move on from that.

[yea.. . i know .. . let's enjoy it 1st then worry]

Rocket RIver

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=198443

I'm standing by my initial 'what I want' statement.

Give me 9-7 and a playoff win or 10-6 and a first round exit and I'll be happy with an extension.

9-7 with no playoffs and I'll be ok with letting Kubiak ride out the next year to the end of his contract.

8-8 or worse and it's s**t-canning time.

Some of the variables that will factor in are obviously strength of schedule and division record, but we'll have to wait and see on those.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that there are some fans who will want Kubiak gone if the Texans do not win the Super Bowl.

I would be happy with the Texans if they were a 10-6 team, with or without the playoffs. A 10-6 record would mean that the Texans have become an average defensive team.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I think the Texans will go 9-7, and Kubiak will keep his job. He'll still be on the hot seat for 2012, but he'll be around.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My only problem with the possibility that Kubiak gets fired is that Wade is surely in line to take over. That, to me, is worse.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i read this to the tune of Abba's, "Knowing Me, Knowing You."

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We have the 3-4 now. We can hire Bill Cowher.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be worried about that too.

That would be pretty crazy.

If the texans win 10 games and don't make the playoffs, then I think Kubes come backs. There would be an uproar, but given that the 10-6 season was not riddled with the same issues in the past then i'd be ok with that.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Same. If the Texans go 10-6 there is no way anyone is getting fired after the best season in Texans history. Regardless if they make the playoffs or not.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You have NO idea how much worse that would be...

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I live in Austin where there is still only 1 NFL team in Texas. Yes, I do.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Also depends on how the Texans get to 9-7 or 10-6. I don't want to see 5-7 or 6-6 through 12 games.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think that we will miss the playoffs again. McNair didn't want to fire Capers after he went 2-14. I don't think he'll want to fire Kubes either. The question is whether he will bow to fan pressure or not.

So my prediction remains that we'll finish 8-8 or 9-7 and that Kubiak won't be fired. Uncle Bob will come out and say how the offense is good and how the defense made great strides and is turning the corner and that all we need is to give Wade another full year with them.

1 person likes this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my feelings as well although I'm a little curious to see what the Texans "spin" will be if Coach Fixit's defense fails to measure up to expectations.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

something like...It's difficult to install a completely different defense in a very short offseason. We have confidence that with a full offseason and more battlin' we will have a heck of a defense

16. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

For me to keep Kubiak:
    -Win the division. He should still get fired for going 10-6 and not making the playoffs because that means the Texans STILL couldn't win over the Colts.
    -Win the first playoff game. I expect a bye to go to the Steelers/Patriots (and don't expect us to beat them anyways), but the other playoff teams I believe the Texans can win over.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

So damn'ed true.:(

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

miss the playoffs, he will be gone, enter Jeff Fisher and Reese...

Make the playoffs, 3 yr. deal?

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I know it's not quite preseason yet, but... FIRE KUBIAK

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is it? Is it? Really? Do we know this for sure? Despite what the owner may be saying now publicly, I'm sorry but I can't take his word.

Extension? You don't give him an extension for making the playoffs 1 time in 6 years.

No, again, no extension for just making the playoffs. He'll still have a year or two left, if you want to keep him, you ride it out with that 1 or 2 years left, no extension. Extension is not warranted.

11-5, no playoffs, I might be "forgiving" or ok with keeping him another year.

I'll make it clear one last time on how I feel:p, anything less than a Super Bowl win(or appearance) or maybe going undefeated, no extension. Not that its up to me but I'm not giving out an extension for doing something(likely) one time in six tries. No extension for going 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6. No extension for just making the playoffs.

My worry is. . . Wade bumps the defense up. . . and something else goes wrong. It's always something with these Texans that seemingly holds them back.

We didn't have a kicker, we didn't have a defense, didn't have this, didn't have that. And all our stars we're injured, something no other team has ever seen before(!), but we were still out there battlefightin', playing hard! And those close losses, we were so so so so so close!! Enough with all the excuses. Enough with the Head Coach escaping the blame(from the owner). He is the head coach, not the offensive coordinator. Just get the job done! If the job can't get done, sorry Bob but you're gonna have to make the "traumatic" change, and move on to someone else(not named Kubiak or Phillips).