1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

War on Terror Stops Missile Smuggling Plot In NY

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 12, 2003.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It looks like the war on terror has scored another success. Excellent job by the FBI and other government groups involved in catching this missile smuggling ring. It's now been almost two years since 9/11 and their have been no Al Queda or any other major terrorist attacks on US soil. Nice work.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The FBI arrested three people Tuesday for allegedly plotting to smuggle a shoulder-launched surface-to-air missile into the United States, government and law enforcement sources said.

The missile was successfully smuggled into a port in New Jersey from Russia, several U.S. government sources said.

FBI agents arrested a British citizen of Indian descent Tuesday afternoon in Newark, New Jersey. Law enforcement sources said he was an independent arms dealer and had sold weapons to al Qaeda in the past.

Authorities also arrested two Afghans who work as gem dealers in Manhattan. The law enforcement sources said they were to be the "money launderers" of the plot, taking care of the cash between the buyer and the seller.

The arrests came at the end of an undercover operation in which U.S. agents posed as terrorists seeking to buy a shoulder-launched missile from the British man, who advertised his ability to buy such weapons, U.S. government sources said.

After the undercover U.S. agents approached the man, he made inquiries in Russia about purchasing a missile, the sources said.

Russian authorities became involved and posed undercover with the U.S. agents in several meetings with the man in St. Petersburg and Moscow, the sources said.

With U.S. approval, the Russians provided the man with a Russian-made shoulder-launched SA-18 missile, several U.S. government sources said. The man arranged for the missile to be shipped to the United States, without explosives, with full knowledge of the United States, the sources said.

While sources could not give a dollar amount for the missile, they estimated it would probably sell for about $100,000 on the open market.

The man arrived over the weekend to complete the cash transaction, those sources said. He was expected to be in court Wednesday around 10 a.m. The FBI in New Jersey plans a news conference for around that time.

Besides the Russians, the British also played a large role in the sting, U.S. government sources said. Search warrants in the case were executed Tuesday in Britain, but it was unclear what they yielded, the sources said.

The Department of Homeland Security estimates there are 750,000 shoulder-fired missiles in the world. They are easy to obtain on the black market. They are portable, easy to use, and inexpensive.

Each missile weighs about 30 to 40 pounds and could fit inside a golf bag, counterterrorism expert Brian Jenkins told CNN.
    Failed attempt a 'wake-up call'

A failed attempt in November to shoot down an Israeli charter jet with a shoulder-fired missile as it took off from the airport in Mombasa, Kenya, was a "wake-up call" for U.S. intelligence agencies, several officials said, underscoring the vulnerability of airliners.

The attempt occurred within minutes of an al Qaeda-claimed suicide bombing at a nearby Israeli-owned hotel that killed more than a dozen people, and authorities believe both attacks were coordinated.

The Department of Homeland Security has asked eight government contractors to come up with plans for anti-missile technology that could be put on airliners to prevent a missile strike.

An interagency task force likewise has been assessing additional security measures that can be taken at airports, such as fencing.

"These things [missiles] are effective up to several thousand feet in altitude, and you know the angles at which aircraft approach runways is pretty shallow, so they would be within effective range of these things for several miles before touchdown and for several miles after takeoff," said David Ochmanek of the RAND Corp. think tank.

And during takeoffs and landings, planes often fly over densely populated areas where a shoulder-fired missile could be hidden, Ochmanek told CNN earlier this month.

The Bush administration is trying to stem the proliferation of the missiles by encouraging other nations to better control their inventories and by reinstituting buyback programs in some high-risk countries.

The Department of Homeland Security also has been evaluating about a dozen overseas airports to determine their vulnerability to attacks with shoulder-fired missiles. (Full story)

Assessments have been completed at airports in Athens, Greece, Istanbul, Turkey, and Manila, Philippines, and new security steps have been taken there, the department said. Experts also were looking at Iraqi airports in Baghdad and Basra.

Department officials declined to reveal what other countries were involved, but said they were nations where U.S.-based carriers make frequent flights and countries of strategic interest that were willing to work with the United States.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It was all a setup. This really never happened. Its another lame attempt to make bush look good :rolleyes:

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Good job.

Question for texxx, how many years before 9/11 was the last terrorist attack on US soil?

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

texxx: Isn't this the FBI's job? Do we really need a 'war on terror'* for the FBI to do their job?

(* Copyright Bush 2004 campaign)

I know you guys are desperate for good news, but the FBI and the CIA have huge budgets and huge staffs. This is what they're paid to do. I hope you're not suggesting that this great victory was a result of Ashcroft or Ridge's grand strategies. Cause I'm pretty sure they're past busy reworking the color codes -- pretty much the only palpable thing they've done, which has worked so well they're inventing it all over again.

5. bigtexxx

Wow what a cynical response. I'm surprised you're not happy that we stopped this potential threat. Do you not want what's best for the country? Or at this point are you just interested in getting support for Dean at the country's expense?

There is no question the war on terror aided in this find. One huge benefit of the war on terror is the increased cooperation among the various law enforcement and protection agencies worldwide. There was excellent communication between US, British and Russian officials on this matter. That's a big improvement from where things were before 9/11. Increased communication lines. I for one am happy about it.

#5 bigtexxx, Aug 13, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

John Ashcroft and Tom Ridge should be congratulated on *another* job well done. I am very comfortable with our nation's safety in their hands. I support the work of these two fine men, and am able to give them praise when they accomplish something as important as this. Sadly, in the liberals' failure to advance a positive agenda for America, and in their joy at the bumps in the road of securing the nation, they can not take pleasure in an American victory such as apprehending those who wish to kill hundreds of innocent Americans.

It is truly a shame that there exist people as bitter and angry as Batman Jones. For him to openly show displeasure at an American victory in the War on Terror suggests that he is so far out on the lunatic fringe that he has lost his bearings. Hateful emotions have overrun his brain, and as a result his policy analysis will be discounted appropriately.

#6 El_Conquistador, Aug 13, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nice typo :).

Glad they are catching some of the crooks, but I hope it's not just the tip of the iceberg.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that we 9/11, and all the errors that happened leading up to it, showed we needed to rethink how the CIA and FBI are working. Maybe you are saying that the FBI should have fixed itself, rather than saying that the status quo was good.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It depends on the definition of U.S. soil. There were embassy attacks in 1998. If you mean on the actual land of the 50 states, then you would probably have to go back to Timothy McVeigh (who many consider a terrorist).

10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Uh, no, I think more than anything Batman is trying to make us all as depressed and angry as he is. What kind of a small person attempts to make everyone feel poorly when they are experiencing the thrill of victory? I'll tell you -- someone who is very bitter and angry at the world. Pathetic. Batman would never offer constructive policy ideas for any Republican in office. No sir. His main focus is riduculing, lying, distorting facts, and slandering people.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

1) Good job by the Feds and Ruskies, etc.

2) Why is it that we will say that things like 9-11 are completely out of the hands of the administration; ( a sentiment which I have consistently supported, and have never blamed Bush for 9-11 in any way) but that when the reverse happens and the Feds do their job we give them the credit. I agree that if you are among those who said 9-11 was Bush's responsibility you'd have to give him a nod on this one, but why is it that people who argued the reverse now say Ashcroft etc. should get the credit but never the blame?

3) "FBI agents arrested a British citizen of Indian descent Tuesday afternoon in Newark, New Jersey. Law enforcement sources said he was an independent arms dealer and had sold weapons to al Qaeda in the past."

British citizen of Indian descent!?!? Godammit, let's invade Syria!!!!

12. bigtexxx

Assigning blame to 9/11 is an excercise in futility. Was it Clinton's administration's fault for scaling back the armed forces and not paying enough attention to operational excellence in the protection agencies for his 8 years? Was it Bush's fault because he was the president when it happened? Was it the fault of a few members of the CIA and FBI who didn't share enough information? Probably the truth is some combination of all of the above.

The point is that the US has overhauled our protection agencies, and it is nice to see some successes ocurring. I'm in partial shock that some people here cannot enjoy their own country's successes.

13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

At least you can say this. Some people are so blinded by hatred that they can't even congratulate.
    Simple answer: The War on Terror should be judged in the appropriate time period. The War had not begun prior to 9-11, so how can one possibly cast judgment on it with regard to the tragedy at the World Trade Center and Washington? It was only after 9-11 was the Department of Homeland Defense created, which Ridge heads, and it was only after 9-11 when the appropriate resources were brought to bear on the situation. There is no question that the intelligence and security teams were not adequately run prior to 9-11. How can anyone expect the Bush Administration to completely overhaul the entire departments necessary after only 8 months on the job? Not possible. I'll say it again -- 9-11 changed the face of the nation's security. We must adapt to a different climate. New rules must be made and stronger policies enforced. Ridge and Ashcroft are providing very solid leadership, even in the face of severe criticism, misguided and ignorant as it may be.

No one is advancing this theory, so don't even try for one minute to accuse any Republican of holding this view. If this was merely an attempt at humor, it wasn't funny.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm not about to get involved with the political talk, as I enjoy reading other members' posts. This is a sort of victory for America. It showed that we are still working hard to protect our values and way of life.

I just have one more comment. I do not understand why Trader Jorge must turn every topic into a Liberal-bashing thread. It's getting old. Anyway....carry on. :)

Cod

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Alto baboso!

You are making the War on Terrorism sound like ABC's Wide World of Sports, and in the process, in my opinion, you are taking a giant crap on the memories of those who perished on 9/11.

No one should never compare terrorism with sports. Not even you.

16. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Uh.... you just compared terrorism with sports, *not me*.

:rolleyes:

17. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Re-read the thread. I didn't jump in until Batman turned it into a partisan affair.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Excellent News.......

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm not the one who used the phrase "thrill of victory", baboso. You did. Check your posts.

On 9/12/01, did you use the phrase "agony of defeat"?

20. bigtexxx

By the way, your spanish is terrible. I'm guessing you're trying to say shut up.