1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale 14th Best

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2015.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Scott Brooks got done bad. Mchale ranking is moreso respect for him as a person as not as a coach.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

That's about right. If the team goes deep in the playoffs, he should break the top 10.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

might be because in reality he's not as bad as people believe he is

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

He's not the best coach and hes not the worst. So 14th is fitting for him and what I just said.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think McHale is a good motivator and someone players want to play for. But I'd still take Karl or SVG. Then again, if we had SVG you'd have a butthurt Dwight & Smith...

1 person likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Only 3 playoff teams coaches are worse. ;)

14. Kevin McHale(3rd)
    19. David Blatt(2nd)
    20. Scott Brooks(8th)
    26. Randy Wittman(5th)

Full List
    1. Gregg Popovich
    2. Mike Budenholzer
    3. Steve Kerr
    4. Rick Carlisle
    5. Tom Thibodeau
    6. Erik Spoelstra
    7. Terry Stotts
    8. Doc Rivers
    T-9. Brad Stevens
    T-9. Frank Vogel
    11. Dave Joerger
    12. Jason Kidd
    13. Dwane Casey
    14. Kevin McHale
    15. Jeff Hornacek
    16. George Karl
    17. Stan Van Gundy
    18. Quin Snyder
    19. David Blatt
    20. Scott Brooks
    21. Steve Clifford
    22. Brett Brown
    23. Lionel Hollins
    24. Monty Williams
    25. Flip Saunders
    26. Randy Wittman
    27. James Borrego
    28. Melvin Hunt
    29. Byron Scott
    30. Derek Fisher

#8 J.R., Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

All white

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think that's fair. McHale is not going to singlehandedly pull out wins with his strategy. He's probably going to get intellectually roasted by anyone in the top 5. But he runs a good system and players seem to want to play for him.

Does anyone think the Coach Bud hype train might be moving a little too fast? I can see top 5 as somewhat reasonable - he's a great coach - but vaulting him right over Carlisle and Thibs and planting him as #2 in the world? He didn't even have a winning record last year.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sounds right to me too.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well you do have lots of coaches on that list that has done more in the playoffs with less talent. I think Kerr is a little overrated because he has really really great assistant coaches. Mchale what is his niche as a head coach? All really good coaches have it?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup still a bit early on kerr. GS has yet to see the true test of any adversity. lets see what happens then. the playoffs will be a good start so well see.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

based on that criteria McHale is ranked way too low and a lot of coaches are ranked way too high based on past performances.

People I would rank below or at the same level as Mchale that are currently above him

Doc Rivers has underachieved with that Clippers team and its talent

Brad Stevens has done well but I do think McHale has done better than him

Casey had the raptors the surprise team last night and they came out of the gates but have come crashing down of late -

Terry Stotts - I do think he did a good job last year in Portland (though he had historically fortunate luck with no injuries last season) and probably has been more impressive this year with all the injuries they have gone through.

Joerger and Kerr I think shouldn't be ranked so high just yet - they are huge beneficiaries of stepping into great situations with a lot ground work and foundation left by the previous coach.

Basically I do not think there has been any other western conference team that had to juggle so many different lineups throughout the season. This team has had its projected starting five only twice this season (the first two games at that!) and despite all the criticism McHale receives on this board he has grown from last season to this season and this team is in 3rd place in the highly competitve west and 4th overall in the NBA. Of course a lot of that is on the shoulders of one James Harden but to say that the Rockets are winning despite of McHale is a complete insult to McHale. The Rockets just need to win 4 more games this season for McHale to overtake Rick Adelman as the Rockets coach with the highest average winning percentage. This too with massive roster turnover year after year -- that doesnt happen if he is really the horrid coach you all make him out to be.

1 person likes this.
  14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Mchale has coached fantastic this year, i dont care what any of you haters say.

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Jeff Hornacek should be higher.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I disagree. He was pretty underwhelming this year. Quin Snyder should be higher IMO

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Steve Kerr being ranked that high is quite surprising to me.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Blatt is better coach than McHale, can guarantee. Hornacek I think he is, as well as Stan Van Gundy, Quin Snyder and Monty Williams.

Anyway that confirms the Rockets don't have an elite coach, which is what you need to get to the finals.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

All of whom wanted Karl, SVG and Hollins as McHale replacements. ;)

16. George Karl
    17. Stan Van Gundy
    23. Lionell Hollins