1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale 14th Best

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on what? him coaching overseas:confused:

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

If the Rockets get to the finals, McHale will be rated as an elite coach next time around. Conduct this poll in 2007 and Mike Brown is almost definitely in the top eight. Basing such an argument on media rankings, which are based largely on results, makes it a circular argument.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Scott Brooks in 2012? Arguably Erik Spolestra with the Heat? (In my opinion, overrated) Doc Rivers with the Celtics?

Elite coaching would be nice but you need at least competent coaching to make the finals. In my opinion, McHale is competent.

Its the players who are going to carry you in the playoffs. Coaching can help the players get in a position to do well but in the end, its the players who really matter.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

was spoelstra an elite coach when they reach the finals all those years? people were calling for him to be fired because supposedly he wasn't a good coach for that team.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Being a good coach is a complex issue sometimes and a matter of situation. Would McHale be a good coach if he were coaching the Lakers or Nets right now? Not likely, he wouldn't be surrounded by stability and bright people. Is McHale a good coach right now, in Houston? I would say overall yes. He is an exceptional leader, good motivator and more of a disciplinarian than fans realize. McHale is also consistent and fair dealing with his players. He has had no real off the court drama and he has kept his team fairly clean.

What about Stan Van Gundy? Well he really knows X's and O's. However he had a player flat out call him mentally weak {Shaq} and claim he cannot handle pressure. You had another player mock him {Howard} and a GM question his stones and replace him {Riley}.

Do I think Van Gundy is a good coach? Yeah and would be even better in an organization like Houston if he could bite his tongue.

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Wow! The Knicks have the worst front office AND the worst coach in the league? From the looks of it they have an idiot for an owner as well! I wonder if Carmelo Anthony slaps his wife every night before going to bed?...:grin:

(P.S.) Totally against spousal abuse!!!!...:eek:

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Hard to argue with the job McHale's done this season. He still needs to prove he's got what it takes to lead this team deep into the playoffs(as do Harden and Howard), but seriously folks. 48-23. A game and a half out of 2nd and the division lead in a brutal Western Conference. When their star center's missed half the season. Their starting PF has missed even more time than that. Their starting PG has missed several weeks(and may not be done for the year). And their projected starting lineup has only been together for 2 games all season.

8. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I love how the rankings are more of a reflection of roster strength. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Are these X's and O's rankings, morale/rallying ability, substitution skills, etc?

What has Doc Rivers done with a bad roster? Spo loses Lebron and his team is still sub .500 in the freaking east. Kerr inherits a loaded roster and he's already above other guys that have won championships. Kidd was horrible elsewhere and he's already a top 12 coach?

I love Thibs, but his offensive coaching ability needs to put him out of the top 10. Terry Stotts is ranked 7th and he hadn't even finished with a team over .500 until he inherited Portland with LMA and Lillard.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol Doc Rivers on Clippers

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...if Thibs comes available this summer we HAVE to make a play for him. We can't go into the playoffs and expect to go deep with a mediocre coach who happens to be in the bottom percentile of worst coaches in the playoffs.

11. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

McHale over Karl. lmao that's a joke

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

No, because the Cavs are expected to go to the final, so even if Tyronn Lue will be the coach, he will be elite and by default better than McHale also.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

McHale is better than 14th this year, but current ranking is not a big deal, a winning in the playoff is a key, not right now.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The playoffs is where coaches earn their money.

So we'll see if he really has improved.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I really can't stand McHale but the adjustment he made last night was brilliant. Gives me a bit of hope he can learn

16. PhiSlammaJamma

McHale is one of a handful of Hall of Fame Players who has had success as head coach. That tells you he can translate his knowledge. Not an easy thing. to get that knowledge, rather than that of a regular scrub player who has less to offer, is priceless.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Has anyone heard from FTW since this was released. I fear he may have hit his head after passing out when reading that the worst coach in the NBA was ranked 14/30.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Let's see there are 16 playoff Coaches and Mchale is ranked 13th.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

+1

I finally signed up in Clutchfans because some of the posters on this site seems to have more basketball knowledge than the average basketball fan. I don't know if these posters are posting less or they're just overshadowed by all the negative nancy.

Go Rockets!!!

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

over 5 seasons as a head coach... and never won a playoff series.... I guess 14 is about right for mediocrity...

1 person likes this.