1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How replaceable is Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Assuming he's not traded, how replaceable is he on this current team?

He's going to become a FA this offseason and we also have Dmo to worry about.

Young, two way big men like Dmo will likely cost at least 10m per year and Bev will cost around 6-8m per year. I highly doubt we are going to have PatBev next season unless it's a very very team friendly contract (2 year with a team option on the 2nd)

With that in mind, how important is he to this team? And can we easily replace him? We have young guards in Canaan and Nick Johnson along with the NOP pick.

Morey has said that the most efficient contracts are Rookie and Max contract players.

2. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

With the way he is playing this year, very.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Is he a championship caliber PG... if you say no then the answer is quite obvious.

Morey will always be willing to upgrade, thus he is very much replaceable.

I can name 10 PG's off the top of my head I'd rather have, but if his contract doesn't handicap team. I'd keep him.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I hope he will become better or else, as much as I love his mentality and toughness, I think he's on his way out. I will not get too attached to him, that's for sure. Morey sure won't pay much for him, since he wants that third star so bad he can taste it!!

5. alethios

alethios Member

Which will drive his trade value down, unless he suddenly becomes a better facilitator.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

He's better suited off the bench, his main asset is his defensive intensity.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He's playing the best ball of his career. Three point average over 40%. Averaging the most points, rebounds, and assists of his NBA career.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Mario Chalmers would've been perfect on this roster. He's a good defender (not as good as Bev) but he can distribute the ball pretty well

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I want him to be here when we play for a ring. I get the sense he's the kind of dude that would rise to that occasion.

Plus...I just love dudes like that. Guys that are a pain in the ass.

Dishman
    Maxwell
    Bev

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Keep in mind the point guards the rockets have behind Beverley...

Canaan: Will be paid the minimum next year, and is a better shooter/creator
    Johnson: Will be paid the minimum next year, and has better athleticism
    Llull: Better facilitator, probably a better shooter, and will likely be paid less than Beverley next year.

None of these guys is perfect, but then again, neither is Beverley.

He's primed to be traded, and I still think Cleveland makes a lot of sense.

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

As much as I am a big fan of Beverley, these past games have proven that he is very replaceable. I always knew he wasn't a real PG but wow, it's pretty bad right now. I thibk he can be a great back up though. But if we can't get him for 3-4 million a year, then let him go.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Has Llull even showed any interest in coming over? He even signed a long term extension over there not too long ago

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Someone said that the thought has always been that 1) he wants to win a championship in Europe and 2) 2015 made a lot of sense from a contract standpoint.

Gentile probably won't be over here until 2016.

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

He is very replaceable. His defensive intensity and rebounding is very good but in terms of PG play, it is very limited offensively.

He's very adept at bringing the ball down the court without turning it over and running plays but he doesn't have great play making ability. He cant breakdown his defender on the dribble that can create opportunities for his teammates.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

To my post that I quoted I forgot to mention that I think Mario Chalmers as well would be a better fit here. :)

16. jumpshotjones

jumpshotjones Member

Play Canaan more

17. AKVerse47

AKVerse47 Member

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Like him, but he is not a "rare" commodity. He is a "mid range" PG that is replaceable. Hopefully with Goran Dragic who is much better.

19. baubo

baubo Member

I don't see the point of the question unless you're talking about Canaan or Johnson. Even if you think Beverley is replacable, you'll still have to pay probably MLE money to find a replacement. So why not just give Beverley that money instead? I personally don't think Canaan or Johnson can replace Beverley. So I'm definitely on the side of paying Beverley his market value.

But if we're talking trade, and Phoenix wants Beverley in a package for Dragic? I'm all for that.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Canaan won't get any playing time until its garbage time.

Nick won't even get playing time now because he is in the Vipers.

Llull? in PG? LLOLL

Out of these 3 guys, Nick MAY have a chance to be a serviceable PG in couple years but Rockets are in win now mode.

So no, there is no body in the current Rockets lineup can replace Bev, and you can name anyone next year with less than 6 mils in the open market who you think the Rockets can sign and be better than Bev in this team.

We will see.