ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets acquire Jason Terry from Kings

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] X-Factor: The Impact of Terrence Jones
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, nba, terrence jones Tags
GBRocket is offline Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
GBRocket
Contributing Member
GBRocket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsGBRocket is Omer Asik -- working the boardsGBRocket is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2003
Member: #11710
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5551/t...ouston-rockets

Sponsored Link
Omer is offline Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Omer
Omer is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16473
Great article, good to see Terrence finally realizing some of his potential. Perfect fit for the team as well.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Jones has underrated smarts too. He loves to hide on the weak side wing until his defender falls asleep before cutting to the basket and receiving the pass from a posting Dwight Howard, a sequence that most often leads to an easy dunk or layup. If his defender sags into the paint, he’ll simply find some open space and wait for an opportunity to spot up.
You can't sleep on Terrence Jones: Not on the court, not on the sidewalk.

WNBA is offline Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
WNBA
WNBA is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodWNBA is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5973
what's the deal of the ugly haircut? lost a bet or a tribute to the stomped bum?

HOUSTONJS is offline Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
HOUSTONJS
HOUSTONJS is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
You can't sleep on Terrence Jones: Not on the court, not on the sidewalk.
YOU WIN YOUNG FELLA

RocketsJumer is offline Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
RocketsJumer
RocketsJumer is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRocketsJumer is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #54368
I fully believe Jones can keep up his play. It's not like he is on a hot streak, offensively or playing his mind out on defense. He is making the smart play: making the right cuts, hustling to get the board, shooting the right shots. He looks to have matured a lot in the off season and is finally doing instead of thinking then doing. He looks more natural and comfortable than last year and last year he looked pretty impressive in most stretches too.

pmac is offline Old 11-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
pmac
Contributing Member
pmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25927
I agree with everything except the Odom comparison. Jones has played with more energy than Odom ever has and has nowhere near the PG and post up skills LO had at that point in his career.

Still, great read. Thanks for posting.

DaDakota is offline Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Loving the user blog contributions.

DD

vince is online now Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
vince
vince is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1075
I havent watched much NBA here but it is good to hear ya'll talk of his improvement. He is the key now.

And when i hear Lamar Odom i hear the unrealistic magic johnson expectations. I hear Cuttino and Francis lobbying for the trade of #1 pick used on Yao for Odom.

I think that a legit power forward was what was needed to be true contenders. And now the team is stacked. Now all rhey need to work on is team chemistry.

shawn786 is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
shawn786
shawn786 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13149
Nice thread & great read - 5 stars

clos4life is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
clos4life
Contributing Member
clos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #29124
Personally, I wish we didn't have to trade Asik. The team is pretty complete right now and I would love to see how far it goes.

Darn shame about Asik pooping on his big boy pants.

I'll stop when we get Love for Harden. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
The James Harden signing is Trevor Ariza magnified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROF2012 View Post
He did not play at star level in the last 3 games.

yummyhawtsauce is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
yummyhawtsauce
Rookie
yummyhawtsauce is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodyummyhawtsauce is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2013
Member: #56513
got excited at the idea of Jones being potentially an Odom type player. I've always wanted to see more minutes from him since last year. Guy showed a lot of fire and potential, which is what the ROckets need.

"money isn't everything, a torn acl (or 2 in this case) affects your ability to live a normal life, let alone play at the highest level of pro basketball that he's worked for his entire life. What if you broke your arm and couldn't continue your career flipping burgers" - DL24

Raven is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Member: #6153
His averages are even more impressive if you only count his last eight games.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S

Raven is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Member: #6153
And check out his contract.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

Look at the production that Parsons and Jones give the starting lineup vs. their combined salary.

Moreyball.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S

Amel is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
Amel
Contributing Member
Amel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16438
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRocket View Post
Nice article

I described him in a similar fashion in the "We have a power forward " thread, and have been a big fan of his game.

"Jones, he is something else. Smooth, athletic, long, very good feel for the game, high IQ and at times sneaky as hell. Carefully watch his game and you'll see this guy will be something special. I can't compare him to Parsons because Chandler is just fundamentally sound, it's like he read the whole book about basketball. Jones is more like the kid who learned basketball the right way in the hood. I absolutely love his game. "

I knew exactly the thread on our forums he was referring to. A user had reacted prematurely to T-Will’s rough first half against the Spurs only to get clowned by the community for the rest of the game as Williams hit 7 of his last 9 shots in the second half.

bongman is offline Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
bongman
bongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebongman is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3931
What is even more amazing is that he has to go against very good players. Zach, Dirk, Love, etc.

Deckard is offline Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota View Post

Loving the user blog contributions.

DD
So am I. Clutch is making a strong effort to bring us original material from members that are excellent writers, and who can make a strong contribution to the Front Page. It's what someone jonesin' for some reading material about the Rockets is looking for, which is exactly how I found this place over a decade ago. I was looking for something to read about the Rockets, some insight, something original, and not the recycled crap one finds on the sites that will remain unnamed, and sites like ESPN. Yeah, I'm loving it as well.

Great job, Mr. Fudge! Man, I hope Jones can keep playing the way he's been playing since getting his first start, and continues to improve. Now if only Donuts could keep from fouling out in 10 minutes, we might have our backup center, and a big 4 when we need it. ;-)-

(doesn't seem right that GBRocket only has 3 of those green thingies, does it!)

hizzobbes is offline Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
hizzobbes
hizzobbes is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2013
Member: #54842
Great read... I'm still not 100% on going for Rondo though (I know, not the point of the article).

Lin said after their summer LA workout that Jones looked amazing and it's good to finally see that on the court in meaningful minutes. As Thorpe said, ranking Jones as the 5th best sophomore, he needs more time to prove consistency. If he keeps doing what he's doing, getting easy bunnies around the rim and taking high percentage shots like the corner three, I see no reason for him to fall off. I also love seeing him able to work the screens and dribble himself right down the middle of the paint for the floater or dunk.

I'm sure we all noticed how much our team blocks went up when he entered the starting lineup, too. He has shown that he can bring defensive value as well as offensive.

In short, I'm totally fine sticking with what we've got now and seeing how things grow together. Jones has given us more ability to hang on to Asik for as long as we want to. This gives Morey the time to work his magic and get the best return value possible.

crash5179 is offline Old 11-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052
Outstanding info. A lot of great analysis in there!

Just to add some numbers... in the 7 games that Jones has started, the Rockets have outscored opponents by 54 points in the 1st quarter alone! That's huge. That means at the end of the 1st quarter so far the Rockets have averaged a 7.7 point lead with Jones as the starter.

Although the numbers are not as staggering, in the 3rd quarter the Rockets are outscoring the opponent by 26 points or an average of 3.7 points. In the 1st and 3rd quarters combined the Rockets are outscoring opponents by 11.4 points. That is a huge advantage and a huge hill opposing teams have to climb to try and stay in games.

By comparison, the Rockets were outscored in the 1st quarter over 8 games while starting Asik by 21 points or for a 1st quarter deficit of 2.6 points.

The difference between Asik and Jones in the 1st quarter is about 10.5 points per game

I hope Jones can keep it up. If so we do not need another power forward.

Last edited by crash5179; 11-28-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Sweet Lou 4 2 is offline Old 11-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Sweet Lou 4 2
Contributing Member
Sweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemSweet Lou 4 2 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28838
It will be interesting to see if Jones can maintain this level for an extended period.

He's always shown flashes but then would revert to literally a D-league player. Let's see what happens.

"If I had to pick a center...I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Ewing…Wilt. It leaves out a lot of people...It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals...For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." —Michael Jordan