1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] X-Factor: The Impact of Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Nov 27, 2013.

1. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

A real glue guy

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course you do.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

27 and 16 with 2 blocks his first game out...

5. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

this message forum is full of flip floppers and bandwagoners. i remember everyone in clutchfans saying that terrence jones is too inconsistent of a player to be drafted. he looks pretty consistent to me.

6. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Yeah. TJ is the real deal now. He is a power to reckon with in the paint by Howard's side. Look at the shot blocks and rebounds. He even had more rebounds than Howard lately. And he can shoot 3s also as a 250 lb guy. He will be a double-double machine for years to come for Houston, assuming we have the cap room to keep him. Wow, Les has to open his pocket to retain Parson, Bev and TJ unless he trades both Asik and Lin.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Give him time and he will get even better.
    No sidewalk and pavement shall be safe.

8. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Let's hope McHale will coach TJ some of his own legendary post moves during Celtic days. TJ is agile enough to do some of those moves. So if TJ gets those inside post moves to go with his power and size, then add the 3 pts and the blocks plus rebounding capability, you have a frightening prospect of another Karl Malone in the making. Can't wait to see how TJ plays in a few years.

9. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Our long search of a quality 4 is over. Instead of unrealistic hope to get another Max player in Love, TJ actually satisfies most of our needs, and he has the full upside in him. This team is fun to watch, despite all the complaints in game threads. We are still meshing, and whole starting line up is learning to play with each other more efficiently. We've struggled in many games, and we can do so much better. But record-wise, we are already at 3rd place in the West. That's the scary part.

This is an exciting young core to build on, for the years to come. I don't want us to make big moves for the sake of it. Let the team grow together, minor tweaks for experienced veterans on the bench and locker room vocal leaders are all what we really need now.

TJ has certainly exceeded the expectation of many fans. Keep on improving!

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have to say I liked Terrence Jones early in college, but he didn't seem to develop. I started to dislike him. When the Rockets drafted him, I remember being very surprised at how big he was. He always looked like an under-skilled SF in college to me, but never realized he was big enough to play the 4 in the NBA. As a Rocket, he seemed lost early on and behind DMo on the learning curve.

Late last season, he looked like he started to get it. He is continuing to show what he did late last season. I do want to see more of him as teams adjust to him, but I think he will do just fine.

I don't see how a person changing their mind is seen as a bad thing when new information, not including popular opinion, comes to light. Flip flopping because of opinion is a bad thing. Jones has made a big jump in his play.

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

maybe, but mostly just people having an opinion while learning to understanding basketball.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree with you. I hope we can keep Omer. He still can be a part of this franchise, he just needs to set his ego a bit down.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Difference between him and Kentucky alumni Patterson is that he plays above the rim 90 percent of the time.
    Patterson plays below it.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Their wasting Omer at 10-13 minutes a game IMO. Make him part of a package to get that 3rd star or borderline star and preferably a PG. They won't win a championship with Beverly as their QB. With TJ taking over the 4 spot, Morey just got dealt four Aces in being able to swing for the fences come the trade deadline.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Omer is averaging 17 minutes a game since the Dallas game. In the 3 games leading up to the Spurs game Asik logged:

21 - Memphis
    20 - Atlanta
    23 - Brooklyn

Which saved D12 a ton of ware and tare and allowed him to be fresh leading up to the San Antonio game. Dwight logged 35 minutes against San Antonio. The 3 games leading up to San Antonio D12 logged:

27 - Memphis
    26 - Atlanta
    17 - Brooklyn

Asik has not been wasted.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Clearly, TJ has been the surprise of the season. I know it's early (and he'll have to prove that he can sustain this high level of play); but for right now, he's played well enough for us to stop worrying about upgrading the PF position via trade.

That factor alone is HUGE for us.

Another reason why I am profoundly grateful that Josh Smith ended up signing elsewhere.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

At 17 minutes for one of of your top 3 or 4 players and one of the elite defending centers in the league, its a complete and total waste period. If he isn't gone by the trade deadline then watch and see how much of a stink he's going to make still being on this team, he wants out and Im sure Morey has talked to his agent and will ablige him with caveat its going to take time to find the right trade. They can help this team much more in aquiring another borderline star than playing him under 30 minutes a game.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's not a waste if it helps you win games. The Rockets might not win that game in Memphis if not for Asik and maybe not the game against SA if D12 had been playing 37 minutes a night for the previous 3 games leading up to the SA game. BTW, what boarderline stars are available for trade?

19. Remii

Remii Member

QUOTE=torocan;8473850]I don't think that's exactly true.

Remember, the Rockets spent all of last year developing TJones with the Vipers. TJones was far from NBA ready when we saw him playing last year. With a full season of development and off season work, he's become a much more complete player. Good enough to put on the floor with regular minutes.

I think we often forget how good a development system the Rockets have fostered. So many of our players have spent time with the Vipers learning our systems, improving their strengths and shoring up their weaknesses.

Novak, Brooks, Marcus Morris, Beverley, CJ Watson... and the list goes on. A good number get back to the Rockets and NBA, while some wash out.

This year Covington and Canaan are with the Vipers and we can trust that the Rockets will make sure they work on their games until they can show that they're ready.

The Rockets get young talent and develop it. They are one of the pioneers in terms of creating a viable farm system for their draft picks and young prospects.

TJones got his shot because he showed he was ready. And if we're lucky, we'll get to see his development continue upward.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that... TJ looked good for a rookie when Sampson was in charge last year when he played him for big minutes. And TJ was a man amongst boys in the D-League so not really sure how much that helped. If McHale would have gave TJ 10-15 minutes here and there consistently throughout the season last year _ TJ may would be a lot further along now... McHale sacrificed the development of TJ (and D-Mo) to play Delfino and Morris at the 4...

20. Remii

Remii Member

I don't necessarily believe the Rockets have to get a star player in return for Asik or even if they can for that matter... It's not like Asik is a star player. But if Morey is in a position where he has to trade him he might just have to get what he can get... And Morey has a track record of trading for young prospects off of other teams benches so don't be surprised if he does it again.