ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Former Rockets coach Bill Fitch talks with ClutchFans
Tags:  80's, basketball, bill fitch, clutchfans, coaching, draft, hakeem olajuwon, houston rockets, kevin mchale, nba, olajuwon, podcast, ralph sampson, retro rockets Tags
Clutch is offline Old 10-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
This was a personal honor to have former Rockets coach Bill Fitch on the podcast. Some really good insight from him on Hakeem Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson and the early/mid '80s Rockets. We also talked about Kevin McHale getting into coaching and how he accepted the 6th Man role despite being a high draft pick.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5147/p...ch-bill-fitch/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
Carl Herrera is offline Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Whoa! Very much a person I'd love to hear from. Will listen as soon as I get home.

tallanvor is offline Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
tallanvor
Contributing Member
tallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtallanvor is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25649
Well done Clutch.

Ziggy is offline Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Ziggy
Contributing Member
Ziggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #543
Damn, now that's a guest.

Smeg's Fantasy Football Coach of the Year 2013

Haymitch is offline Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Haymitch
Contributing Member
Haymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsHaymitch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2005
Member: #16399
Great interview. I'd be afraid to even ask him a question for fear of it sounding too dumb.

maczmina is offline Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
maczmina
maczmina is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2013
Member: #56588
Great interview.

CXbby is offline Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
CXbby
Contributing Member
CXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchCXbby is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9639
I thought the questions were excellent. Interesting to hear that McHale wasn't the greatest practice player at first, and basically had to get whipped into it. Maybe that allows him to relate to his players more. Not every player's psyche works like a Bird or Jordan.

rockbox is online now Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
McHale has stated the same thing many times. It was Bird that set the example and made everyone play harder. That is why he was a great coach eventhough he didn't handle any of the X and O's when he was with the Pacers.

I see the same thing with McHale. He doesn't have to handle the X and O's, he just needs to teach guys how to win.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

CometsWin is offline Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
CometsWin
Contributing Member
CometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCometsWin is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: May 2000
Member: #1451
Awesome. Congrats on the interview! That must have been pretty exciting.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Nice interview. I wished you guys had more time to get into stuff like specific McHale stories. I read that McHale chafed under Fitch's drill instructor approach to coaching. Wonder if Fitch has any dirt on McHale.

BimaThug is online now Old 10-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
Dammit, Dave!

We were probably going to do another podcast together soon, but how the hell am I supposed to follow THAT act?!

Great job, bud. Amazing guest. Excellent interview.

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

Joe Fan is offline Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Joe Fan
Joe Fan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodJoe Fan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #546
That was excellent.
Really, really enjoyed.

Baba Booey is offline Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Baba Booey
Baba Booey is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBaba Booey is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51875
Thanks again, Clutch.

I really appreciate these podcasts. Keep up the good work!

Clutch is offline Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
I appreciate all the compliments... thank you. It was a great experience for me to talk Rockets, McHale with Bill ... really brought back a lot of memories for me as a fan.

If you have CSN Houston, Bill Worrell's interview of Fitch ("Conversation with Bill Fitch") is airing right now.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Dr of Dunk is offline Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Dr of Dunk
Clutch Crew
Dr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXbby View Post
I thought the questions were excellent. Interesting to hear that McHale wasn't the greatest practice player at first, and basically had to get whipped into it. Maybe that allows him to relate to his players more. Not every player's psyche works like a Bird or Jordan.
McHale acted like a goofball under KC Jones, too, from what I heard. He wasn't a practice guy, but when the game started, he got serious really fast.

Ronnie Brewer is my favorite Rocket of all time!

Carl Herrera is offline Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr of Dunk View Post
McHale acted like a goofball under KC Jones, too, from what I heard. He wasn't a practice guy, but when the game started, he got serious really fast.
I think McHale being a goofball at times is why Bill Fitch told Clutch that he thought McHale may be able to reach Howard and get him to the next level. McHale, like Howard, loves to joke around and have fun but you don't become a Hall of Famer or DPOY without having putting in hours and hours of serious work on a sustained basis.

Books and articles about the old Celtics indicate that Bird was kind of bothered by McHale having too much fun and not being the same sullen maniacal competitor that Bird was. (These teams used to have a split between "Kevin guys" and "Larry guys" with few who were members of both. Bird would also be more generous with praising Parish than praising McHale).

Does the McHale-Bird dynamic remind anyone of two players on a team last year?

jtr is offline Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
jtr
Contributing Member
jtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejtr is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
I appreciate all the compliments... thank you. It was a great experience for me to talk Rockets, McHale with Bill ... really brought back a lot of memories for me as a fan.

If you have CSN Houston, Bill Worrell's interview of Fitch ("Conversation with Bill Fitch") is airing right now.
Another exceptional feather in your cap! Congrats.

crash5179 is offline Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052
Great interview Dave! How the heck did you get Bill Fitch?

One big thing I took from the interview is that Bill thinks Asik and D12 can play 10 - 20 minutes a game together regardless of the opponent.

Zboy is online now Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
Zboy
Contributing Member
Zboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6676
Excellent interview.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash5179 View Post
Great interview Dave! How the heck did you get Bill Fitch?

One big thing I took from the interview is that Bill thinks Asik and D12 can play 10 - 20 minutes a game together regardless of the opponent.
Speaking of playing two bigs together: What was Jim Petersen's game like back in the 80s? Was he a good mid-to-long range shooter? How did the Petersen-Olajuwon combo work?