1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Former Rockets coach Bill Fitch talks with ClutchFans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Should've asked if he ever wanted to choke Ralph. lol. I'm sure he would've answered it diplomatically. :) Nice job, Clutch.

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Listening now.........as a younger rockets fan always nice to hear about the history of the rockets.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Petersen was more of the backup back in the 80s IIRC. He was a hustler, solid fundamentals; I wouldn't really clarify it as a "combo". It would be like calling Dirk and Brendan Wright a "combo" (obvious differences between the two "combos", but just trying to show the difference in production/talent). Obligatory:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iKWl9aBVOzc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Wow great memories, thanks!! I remember Fitch well. Going up AGAINST him with Moses Malone in the finals and then joining the Rockets. Really great times. So glad he is still around.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HOLY COW !!

This place is awesome - that was amazing Clutch !!

Thanks.

DD

7. MONON

MONON Member

Peterson was quick & nimble on his feet as seen in the clip. He was a decent 15 to 18' shot. A little thin for a good rebounder IIRC.

8. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Yes, some team out on the West Coast :p

Clutch, great work. Thanks.

There often seemed to be some tension, even if just mild, between Bird and McHale. Bird was deadly serious much of the time and put in incredible practice work. When Jordan came into the league, one of his coaches (Kevin Loughery?) took Jordan to the Boston Garden hours before the game to show him Bird running laps around the arena and let MJ know that if you wanted to be great, you had to do what Bird was doing.

I remember hearing an interview years ago where someone asked McHale about Bird and McHale, I think, said something like "Bird's contributions to Boston's success has been discussed enough." As in, I'm tired of hearing about Bird and how great he was. Something along these lines, if I remember correctly.

Jim Petersen was a solid backup to Ralph Sampson and I think he may have also backed up Hakeem some. Scrapper, pretty tough, good guy to have on your team.

9. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Great interview Clutch. That's how you do it. Keep it about the man and his experiences not outside stuff. Let the shock jocks ask those questions. Thanks as always.

10. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Great Interview!

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Great job Clutch!

Asked evocative questions and then just got out of the way, that's how you do an interview.

Encouraged by what Fitch said about how no team has the personnel to match up with a Twin Towers lineup. He seemed to think it could work so long as the bigs could run.

12. TheDr34m

Listening to Bill Fitch talk about the 1986 season made me want to go back and watch Ralph Sampson shot against the Lakers.

I forgot totally that in that game 5 against the Lakers Hakeem got ejected because of the fight he had with Mitch Kupchak earlier in the game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LF740MqYbOs

Classic Houston Rockets Memories!

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Correct, I remember him hitting decently from 15-17 but never had 3-point range (few big guys did in that day). He was more of a power forward though, as he had zero shotblocking ability.

14. TheDr34m

27 years later Hakeem screwed Kupchak with a right hook by jacking Dwight from him in free agency :)

Oh the irony!

15. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

This was Jim Petersen squaring off with Roy Tarpley of the Dallas Mavericks in the 1986-87 season. Pretty good example of how he was. Tough guy, would not back down from anyone:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/iKWl9aBVOzc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/iKWl9aBVOzc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

16. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

^ My bad, missed the Petersen fight being posted before I posted it.

Here is a blurb about Bird/Fitch/McHale. Sums things up pretty well, I thought:

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/07/the-nbas-odd-couple-larry-bird-and.html

I don't think Bird cared about much except basketball. He was laser-focused on being the best. That's how I recall him being, anyways.

1 person likes this.
  17. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Nice anecdote on MJ and LB. Love reading things about how great players learn from other great players.

18. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Jordan had, and has, incredible respect for Bird. When Bird made the comment about how Jordan was "God" after Jordan scored 63 points against the Celtics, Jordan said he appreciated Bird saying that because it gave him confidence in his game.

I hated Bird growing up, for obvious reasons. But all the players at the time respected Bird. And as much of a jerk as Bird could be on the court, he also gave respect to players he thought earned it.

It is nice to see the greats interact and look at how they learned from one another.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Man... did I hate Bird growing up too. He sure as hell earned the respect though.

1 person likes this.
  20. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Amazing.

Excellent.

Bravo.