1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons, chasing the fame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by whoisray, Jul 16, 2013.

1. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Let me start this by saying that I'm a CP fan and love his game. His versatility is great for us and we can see he does everything pretty well. From what we hear, he's a great teammate and locker room guy and hangs out with just about everyone on the team.

I don't know if it's just me but he's trying to get more famous off the court. Basically his face has been everywhere lately, even more than Harden or Howard. Whatever the hot topic in town whether it is Lin, Harden and Howard, CP is always there, online and offline. He's now billed as the Rockets BIG 3. Not saying he doesn't deserve it but our goal is to win a championship, not become celebrities off the court. I get LeBron, Durant, Yao being everywhere but a developing player?

He also recently signed with Dan Fegan, whose DH agent as well so there could be some leverage for them down the line. Is his goal to be a celebrity and get into the entertainment field? Or perhaps raise his profile in the league and sign a near max deal? Will this hinder us down the line?

Normally, I don't care about this stuff but since it's the offseason and we are looking into the future...

1 person likes this.
  2. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

He absolutely is, but I don't see a problem with it unless it affects his game

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's cool. Players get paid based on what they do on the court. If he doesn't play like a star he won't get paid like one.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The man wants to win. He's certainly more famous than he was before..but he's not exactly a household name. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Parsons was Mr everywhere Rocket for the past two years. He is a social animal.
    You just now noticing this because Dwight's presence put Houston back on the map.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Parsons is one of the most down to earth athletes. It's his personality to be outgoing and charismatic. We should all be happy that Parsons, and the Rockets, are starting to get noticed.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's doing that as a public service.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What is wrong with taking advantage of his newfound fame? Guy is clearly not getting his money from his contract. Nothing wrong with padding his savings with some advertisements and face time on TV. Also, he is famous off the court for GOOD REASONS. He is not getting arrested, has no baby mommas, and is always putting the Rockets in a positive light. I'd say go for it Parsons and grab all that you deem yours!

9. conquistador#11

kim k is probably banging her head on the wall that she missed out.
    as long as chandler doesn't get a case of the ronald miller, it's all good.

pay me, maury.

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He got us Dwight. I won't complain.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well, he really isn't getting paid much nothing wrong with getting his face out there and see what it nets him. When your friends are making millions it's hard to not want that also.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

He's basically the reason Dwight is in Houston, so he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Frankly, I don't blame him. He's a good looking dude playing a professional sport, and the spotlight is about to be on his team... as long as he continues to play his ass off on the court, he can chase as much fame as he wants.

13. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I guess he's getting 100% of the credit for Dwight. I'm sure Harden is true reason but not getting any attention.

Some players like Asik/Lin/Harden/DMO/Jones are staying real quiet this offseason... you better watch out for those quiet ones.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes.... and he's smart for doing so.

Chandler is a smart guy, and he's doing what he can to increase his visibility at least nationally.

Also keep in mind that most of this publicity has been done during the offseason, and he's been posting quite a bit about his offseason training, and work he's putting in with the coaches as well in the spare time.

Look, the bigger the name he is, and the more likable of a personality he is, how in the world is that not a positive for the Rockets?????

As long as any side business ventures dont take away from his on-the-court play then I think its a huge positive not just for him, but also the team. Add to that the fact that his side ventures as of lately have been almost 100% soley focused on building the Rockets franchise up both with personnel and noteriety.

From a financial perspective - he's smart enough to know that the better the Rockets do from a winning perspective, the more money he's going to make when his contract is up, and the more revenue he can look to collect off the court through endorsements. Good for him.

15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I think we sometimes forget that basketball is in the entertainment industry. Of course he is trying to boost his own fame! I only hope that he chooses to do so while staying in Houston. Him building his brand now is only good for himself and the Rockets. May him and his hair prosper.

16. Asian Sensation

If you had Chandler Parsons face you'd understand.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's is getting paid like a scrub right now, I have absolutely no problem with a guy wanting to raise his profile to increase earning potential.

Ultimately his next contract and endorsements will be determined by play, but if he continues to perform on the floor all this exposure will certainly help raise the endorsement value.

18. Raiden87

Raiden87 Member

with all this fame when the time come for him to get paid he might get overpaid by a team

19. atwood

atwood Member

I have no problem with it at all unless his performance on count is affected. It's really smart of him to develop his skills on count and raise his fame outside the count. He will be a unique player within a few years!

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

With Harden and now Howard, the Rockets are big time. Since Howard's been distracted a lot lately and Harden doesn't seem to do a lot of media, that leaves Parsons for now. We should be welcoming this and trying to figure out which bench players will become quasi-famous like M.L. Carr or Jerry Sichting.