ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Royce White surprises radio station with call, says plan is to join D-League on Feb 11 (UPDATE)
Tags:  basketball, business, clutchfans, houston rockets, iowa state, kevin mchale, league, lost, nba, nba development league, radio, royce white Tags
Clutch is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Royce White surprised 97.9 the Box this morning with a call-in. It's a good interview. He was definitely unplugged... no filter here:

http://theboxhouston.com/9075216/exc...sorder-listen/

White was asked how long he could continue to do this, and he said: "We're in the 12th hour of it being over, actually."

"When I say we're in the 12th hour, I mean that we're literally in the 12th hour. I think any hour now, this whole thing will be over and I'm supposed to be returning to the D-League on February 11th. That was the plan. We'll see if it finally goes through, but the last thing I heard is that that's what we're going to do, that's what we're planning to do. We're just waiting for everybody to get the right paperwork done and stuff like that."

Interesting comparison between how Coach Fred Hoiberg is the authority at Iowa State, and he could say yes to something and that was that. In the NBA, it's much different. Obviously the dynamics are different.

"Coach McHale doesn't run this team. Despite what people think, he has very little control over this team. From a basketball point, he runs it, but from a business level and from an operational level, he has very little say. He's almost a co-worker of mine rather than an advisor or a managerial type of position. That's one of the big issues here."

(Props to danoman for the heads up on this interview. Sorry for the new thread, but I think this is very interesting and would get lost buried in another Royce thread.)

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
GreenLantern is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
GreenLantern
GreenLantern is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43256
Hope this ends positively!!! He is an exceptional player.

SC1211 is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
SC1211
Contributing Member
SC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSC1211 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36568
Great! I still have hopes that Royce can be a contributor.

BigBird is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
BigBird
Contributing Member
BigBird is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBigBird is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBigBird is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBigBird is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBigBird is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBigBird is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2012
Member: #51060
I wonder what happened...did the Rockets threaten legal action or contract termination and pretty much tell him and his associates that they had every legal ground to do so? After the leaking of the letter from Morey and everything that has gone on could this be the case? Or have the Rockets agreed to a revised portion of the #protocol?

I think it is probably the latter, but I'll be interested to see the terms of his return, if they are revealed. Hopefully his return becomes a reality or this will be just another issue in the continuing saga of Royce White.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Another noob making White thread!

Seriously though, interesting news. I wonder if they really will get him back playing this soon. I mean, we heard news of progress before White refused the DLeague assignment. So who knows if this will come through.

Also, I wonder if the recent string of ESPN/HBO/radio interviews reflects that White is in a better place mentally than before when he was actually quite paranoid about the media and was using twitter as his sole mean of communication.

fogo18182028 is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
fogo18182028
fogo18182028 is Royce White -- lots of promise, bad first impression
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45107
Meh he's still a bust

LonghornFan is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
LonghornFan
Contributing Member
LonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7178
Heard Morey ordered some new stickers for their bus.

teebone21 is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
teebone21
teebone21 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49861
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Hope this ends positively!!! He is an exceptional player.
I am still waiting to see what makes him so special, he can shoot, rebound, play in post all i see is fancy passes. I hope this headache was worth it for the rockets

roxallways is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
roxallways
roxallways is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodroxallways is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31458
I'll believe it when I see it. I've been saying it's time to move on from this guy. More trouble than he's worth. I don't care how "talented" he is, with his fragile psyche, he is always going to be a liability and not dependable.

DudeWah is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
DudeWah
Contributing Member
DudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDudeWah is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26035
Dude's a grade A moron. But if he man's up and becomes a productive NBA player who plays really well for us, I couldn't care any less. I'll sing his praises every single game if he eventually helps the Rockets become a contender.

topfive is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
topfive
Contributing Member
topfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchtopfive is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4593
Good. Now let's see if he was worth all this trouble.

pmac is online now Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
pmac
Contributing Member
pmac is Omer Asik -- working the boardspmac is Omer Asik -- working the boardspmac is Omer Asik -- working the boardspmac is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25927
I knew this would pop up here pretty soon. It was hilarious that the woman that called in just before Royce was going on about how he doesn't speak out to local media.

And, this was my first time hearing him speak out about his issues. I've read some tweets and info here but haven't watched any of his interviews. That being said, he comes off very sincere, imo. He's passionate about this. It's not like some low life punk trying to work the system for a free check. Sure, it would be nice if he could make some concessions but I feel better about everything after hearing him speak. So, even if he's wrong it's for the right reasons, if that makes any sense.

RickyNewport is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
RickyNewport
RickyNewport is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #53048
Well, let's see how it pans out because he would probably be the best point guard on the roaster

NL Rocket is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
NL Rocket
NL Rocket is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNL Rocket is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51934
I don't want to be negative but again he says people want to make it out to be Royce White vs. Rockets. He should start taking responsibility with his tweets where he actually uses Morey's name, something he avoids to talk about here. He has a big mouth on twitter but in interviews explains what is really the issue and sounds logical and calm. Not so much through his twitter.

JJ23 is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52752
Oh my...the drama continues....thx clutch

RV6 is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
Royce White said more in this one interview than he has in 5 billion tweets and re-tweets.

I don't understand why it took so long. If he had just came out like this 2 or 3 months ago, things would be very different, including how his fans and supporters view this whole mess. He was responsible for a lot of the confusion that took place and that accounted for a lot of the hate he received.

DarkHorse is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
DarkHorse
Contributing Member
DarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #839
Until I see him on the court, I'm going to assume this is some kind of bait and switch ploy.

KevinG1015 is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
KevinG1015
KevinG1015 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53679
SWEET! I hope this saga does indeed end and that Royce will finally start to play. He has an amazing upside and I could really see him being useful for us.

DreamShook is online now Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
even with all the drama I still want to see him play.

1. disinclined or indisposed to believe in Jeremy Lin
2. indicating or showing unbelief in Jeremy Lin: a lincredulous dribble drive to the left.

Raven is offline Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Raven
Raven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRaven is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Quote:
He's almost a co-worker of mine rather than an advisor or a managerial type of position. That's one of the big issues here."
Like a window into his brain, and what it shows does not look promising.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...2014+NFL+Draft

Countdown to Texans' first game next season.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S