1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White surprises radio station with call, says plan is to join D-League on Feb 11 (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Alright, I admit without the context I completely misinterpreted the quote.

Maybe he just got a little carried away trying to make his point with the "co-worker" comment.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oh, so he's finally broke, eh?

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm certainly not on the Royce bandwagon, but I took his 'McHale as co-worker' comment to mean that he has no beef w/ McHale. McHale has no power to accept, set, or refuse 'protocol' or whatever else demand Royce has been ambiguous about.

But when asked if he has a problem w/ Morey he dodged it and reframed the question.

In college, coaches basically control the program. And players get coddled a lot more than the NBA, so you just haggle with the coach to get what you want. He was a big fish in a small pond. Now I think he's having trouble realizing the NBA is completely different and doesn't realize he's the small fish again.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If he pulls any crap with the Rockets of the game, I hope we don't waive and pay him. I hope we fine him each and every game and makes sure he does not see a single penny. What a waste of space...

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wonder if he's signed an endorsement somewhere? He looks like he is living in a new home and not the cheap kind. Also driving a later model car/suv. I don't think he has money trouble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#105 RV6, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meh. The hell with Royce White. I mean, it's only a matter of time before he's complaining about "protocol" again or demanding something else, right?

7. DCkid

I realized there can be different levels of manager involvement, which is why I also mentioned "expert lead."

If you have a position where no one tells you what to do, then you're in a different situation than a marginally-hyped rookie NBA player. Also, fixed the above.

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

I want to actually see him in a game first before I start caring again.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is he still suspended?

Out of all the places to confirm you choose 97.9?
    Like I said before, this guy knows how to run the system, just like that annoying spoiled worker. He has the white man mentality.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

my reaction...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Look, has White handled this thing properly? No. Am I and others unhappy with how this has played out thus far? Yes. This said, I'm totally willing to wipe the slate clean and obviously the Rockets are too.

Let's get this thing going, see how it works or doesn't and then draw our conclusions.

I'm actually excited that this thing can end/begin in the positive.

I'm pulling for Royce, hoping he gets it together and becomes a force for the Rockets.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not trying to add fuel to the fire on this manager/co-worker discussion.

But what you're describing as an office manager sounds to me like an acutal "office" manager as in someone that schedules appointments for supervisors and actual company managers. I had one of those at a freight forwarding company I worked for a few years back until she got laid off.

Kind of like Pam in The Office.

13. DCkid

I don't think their coach is being paid enough to have to deal with this.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Royce White is the Power Forward we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

1 person likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree. And what he said about Coach McHale just shows once again that this guy's issues go way beyond the mental illness.

As JV correctly said - this will end badly.

1 person likes this.
  16. deshen

deshen Member

Dang, if white really has his mental sickness, he'd ignore the suspension and continue to hold his ego.

The funny thing could be, after all this, that it turns out that white is not a NBA player even from the bench.

What a waste on the pick and time.

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I saw 97.9, I chuckled. Very non-threatening venue. But, in White's defense, it seems he was just listening to the station when one of the DJs started cracking jokes about him. So he impulsively called in to educate them. Much of the banter was both something one of the radio guys said about a gun in the mouth, to which White spoke of gorillas.

18. Rocket_Man_2.0

I'm willing to be patient and hope and pray Royce White gets it together. Nobody wants a wasted draft pick. You want Royce White to play enough to at least get some value out of him. Him playing in the D-league immediately raises his value. It's not like he's harming the team.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nice Batman reference...

Actually, flip that bro-

Royce White is the Power Forward we don't deserve, but he might be the one we need right now.

20. Cycl1

Cycl1 Member

At least he can form a coherent sentence. Athlete interviews can be painful to listen to.