1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White surprises radio station with call, says plan is to join D-League on Feb 11 (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was the entire subtext of that interview. The hosts didn't ask deep questions. White has OK Chi Sao, but it is penetratable. He is happy in is enlightened, teacher role. He is not yet a basketball player.

I won't believe it until he straight forwardly owns up to all of his behavior. Especially for betraying the team's trust as they worked in private to accommodate him.

2. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Well, Royce White was the draft pick that McHale wanted... So he may not run the team but obviously he has input...

3. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

I understand what you're saying, but I do think his comment is being over analyze. I don't think he meant that as though he wouldn't have to listen to his coach. But as far as protocols, exceptions etc. that the coach has just as much say as a player does... None at all.. as if they were equal in that aspect alone.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So it looks like Royce is getting a protocol that the NBA and NBPA have finalyzed, but its not exactly what Royce wanted because they cannot violate the current CBA.... Ok, thats great, but that doesn't necessarily mean that once its written, and presented to Royce that he will agree to it, and come back to work.

All this means is that the lawyers are close to finishing putting together the addendum. Doesn't mean that he's going to sign off on it.

5. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

As long as the Rockets have the right to void the contract at any time, I'm fine with it.

6. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Analyzed*

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Cause he can't.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

White acknowledged this by saying McHale runs "basketball." You're arguing over what a poster said ( "Mchale is literally his co-worker"), but White didn't say it that way. He made a distinction between operations vs basketball.

#88 RV6, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. JeffB

Supporting Member

White very slightly backed off the comment by restricting the observation to the business/operational side of basketball.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'll believe it, when I see it... jus sayin...

11. JeffB

Supporting Member

We'll see. First the bus, then a protocol, then a written protocol signed off by the NBA and union....

The Rockets organization, Les on down, has increased my respect or them on this one.

1 person likes this.
  12. bucket

bucket Member

Has there ever been any evidence for this idea that McHale was the only one who wanted Royce White, other than people misinterpreting that Grantland video?

To clarify, I don't think White's agent was saying that McHale was the only one in the Rockets organization that wanted to draft White. In context (and logically) it seems that he meant the Rockets (thus McHale) were the only team in the top 20 or so that wanted to draft White. McHale doesn't get to decide whom the Rockets draft, and he certainly doesn't overrule Morey. Moreover, if there had been disagreement within the Rocket's draft room, White's agent wouldn't have known about it.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Come on guys. It's Royce White. He's setting us up again.

14. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I tend to think even if he agrees to this, he will find something down the road that he doesn't like and complain until he gets what he wants again.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't remember the source, but some time ago someone posted a report/quote saying that part of the documentary was false because the agent got bad info. I think it started when someone tweeted it to Feigen and he brushed it off by saying it was bad info..

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm gonna chalk up the comment about McHale being a "co-worker" to Royce being an idiot. He clearly doesn't always have a filter between head and mouth. Having seen this movie before, i'll reserve judgement until he starts playing D-League games. That said, it's impossible for me not to feel a bit relieved that he's making at least some sort of a public-facing effort to rejoin the team.

17. JeffB

Supporting Member

When the bus thing first happened, this is what the poster known as "Bill Bradley" said would happen. The claim the was that giving in to White, who the spotter believed was not getting proper treatment, would just enable him and further encourage future demands. With each "victory" White would possibly become emboldened to make a new one.

18. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Manager doesn't always mean superior. I used to have an office manager where I worked - and believe me she wasn't more important to anybody than I was. She got me pads of paper, pens, changed my toner, etc.

If players don't buy in to their coach, the coach gets fired. I don't know of a standard "manager is your boss" company that runs this way.

19. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Totally. What a class organization all the way around.

20. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

According to urban dictionary, "gorillas" refers to South-side gangs.

ROYCE IS IN A GANG!!!! :eek:

:p