ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[Sports Illustrated] Chris Ballard Piece on Daryl Morey - "Moneyballsy"
Tags:  2012, basketball, business, clutchfans, cnn, daryl morey, economy, fail, houston rockets, league, money, nba, roster, sports illustrated Tags
durvasa is offline Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...95/1/index.htm

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/2...8/moneyballsy/

quote:

Chris Ballard on How The Rockets Are Bringing Moneyball To The NBA

Rockets G.M. Daryl Morey is the NBA’s equivalent of baseball’s Billy Beane. He sees basketball differently from most NBA executives, and using analytical methods that many other general managers reject – or even mock – Morey revamped his roster in the off-season, working the margins of the sport’s economy, then unloading players when their value peaked. Morey knows many other executives are rooting for him to fail, but Chris Ballard explores why Morey will risk everything to back up his methods (page 55).

The latest print issue of Sports Illustrated has a piece by Chris Ballard (author of "The Art of a Beautiful Game" -- I provided a summary on the parts about the Rockets in that book here) on Daryl Morey and what the Rockets are doing with their "moneyball" approach.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like his latest piece on the Rockets will appear online. If anyone gets Sports Illustrated, please post on any interesting parts you read from this article.

Sponsored Link
mirus is offline Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
mirus
mirus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52119

Something similar.Not sure if it's part of the article,but interesting

mirus is offline Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
mirus
mirus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52119

mike_lu is offline Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
mike_lu
mike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmike_lu is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16422
Sounds really interesting.

just a word is offline Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
just a word
just a word is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52812
Quote:
Battier believes having good defenders behind him is crucial to what he, or any great perimeter defender, does. This part was very interesting to me:

Battier pauses. "I'm lucky to have a guy like Yao. He's not the best shot blocker, not the fastest, but he's there. Chuck Hayes is an unbelievable help-side defender. It wasn't until I got better help behind and better interior defenders that all of a sudden my reputation as a defender grew. Is it a coincidence? I don't think so." He laughs.

"Not to take away from the great perimeter defenders in this league, he continues,. "I think Ron's one of the best, I think Bruce Bowen's one of the best, I think Tayshaun Prince is one of the best, I think Kobe is one of the best. But they usually have guys behind them that make their job a heck of a lot easier."
Battier's view on this is very different from, say, Nick Anderson, who claimed that he always looked at it like his help wasn't there. He said that his job is not to rely on help, but to stop the other guy by himself. Battier disagrees: "I think the opposite. I don't want to be on Kobe Island, I've been on Kobe Island enough in my career -- it's not a fun place to be. I'm trying to get off Kobe Island." :D
HAHHA yes. Yes this is why I love Battier.

RV6 is online now Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
Ouch @ Luther Head comment.

And the coach is right about Lin's shot. I've said before he was lofting the ball up, rather than guiding it with his follow through. Mario Elie-ish. Ball travels vertically too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a word View Post
HAHHA yes. Yes this is why I love Battier.
Wrong thread, I assume.

Some more tweets:

My feeling is L̶i̶n̶ Motiejunas needs another year, but team direction has shifted and shifted hard. It goes without saying — this is going to be a very important year for J̶e̶r̶e̶m̶y̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶ Donatas Motiejunas.

Last edited by RV6; 11-29-2012 at 11:27 PM.

treyk3 is online now Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
treyk3
Contributing Member
treyk3 is Omer Asik -- working the boardstreyk3 is Omer Asik -- working the boardstreyk3 is Omer Asik -- working the boardstreyk3 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32002
Really great article I recommend picking up the issue. Has luck on the cover.

A few interesting bits.

Quote:
houston is in position to have ample cap room next summer, enough to sign another foundational player. Morey's not picky about w ho it is we can't afford to be he says
Alexander on morey's future: stick with him as long as it works... When will we know? Two years

Parsons: nice to be part of something that's going to be special... Or at least I hope so. (Referring to staying)

GoRockets! is offline Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
GoRockets!
GoRockets! is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6 View Post
Ouch @ Luther Head comment.

And the coach is right about Lin's shot. I've said before he was lofting the ball up, rather than guiding it with his follow through. Mario Elie-ish. Ball travels vertically too much.
My question: if Lin reduces arc on his shot, would he still be able to hit those shots over Paul Gasol and Dirk like he did last year?

Wapzoe is offline Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
Wapzoe
Wapzoe is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2012
Member: #50911
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRockets! View Post
My question: if Lin reduces arc on his shot, would he still be able to hit those shots over Paul Gasol and Dirk like he did last year?
Pau Gasol

And hopefully he doesn't have to.. He'll be able to get his basket around those guys, this is mainly for his set jumpshot

OremLK is offline Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
I can totally see Lin pulling a Steve Nash and just getting better and better the older he gets.

Raven is offline Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Quote:
houston is in position to have ample cap room next summer, enough to sign another foundational player. Morey's not picky about who it is we can't afford to be he says
We're F###ed.

BraveFox is offline Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
BraveFox
BraveFox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBraveFox is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #52628
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
I can totally see Lin pulling a Steve Nash and just getting better and better the older he gets.
barring some injury there's no other way for Jeremy

HMMMHMM is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
We're F###ed.
Key term here is "foundational player".

Morey has already said himself that one of the worst things you can do is spend max money on non-max players.

I don't think we have to worry about Morey giving big bucks to Al Jefferson, Josh Smith or Paul Millsap.

Chef_Monteur is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
Chef_Monteur
Chef_Monteur is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #52624
Morey picked the wrong sport to play moneyball in. You simply cannot win championships in the NBA without having the best player in the league on your team.

Baseball and Football, you can win using sabermetrics. Basketball, you cannot.

D-rock is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
D-rock
D-rock is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodD-rock is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18806
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
Key term here is "foundational player".

Morey has already said himself that one of the worst things you can do is spend max money on non-max players.

I don't think we have to worry about Morey giving big bucks to Al Jefferson, Josh Smith or Paul Millsap.
Josh Smith may not be Morey's first choice, but I bet he is on Morey's short list next season (or via trade).

Lihao is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #16
Lihao
Lihao is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Monteur View Post
Morey picked the wrong sport to play moneyball in. You simply cannot win championships in the NBA without having the best player in the league on your team.

Baseball and Football, you can win using sabermetrics. Basketball, you cannot.

HMMMHMM is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #17
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Monteur View Post
Meh. Having the best player in the league certainly gives you a great shot, but you need a lot more than just one player and you can very well win the title with your best player being a top-5 or top-10 player.

Chef_Monteur is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
Chef_Monteur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihao View Post
The 04 Pistons were an enigma. And they didn't repeat as champs.

If you want any real staying power in the NBA you need the best player in the league to make that happen.

Chef_Monteur is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
Chef_Monteur
Look, if you run down the list of NBA champions you will seldomly find a team that didn't have talent.

In the MLB or the NFL, you can find plenty of teams that win while not being the top 5 most talented team in the league.

With the NBA, you need a superstar. In the other sports you don't.

Chef_Monteur is offline Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
Chef_Monteur
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
Meh. Having the best player in the league certainly gives you a great shot, but you need a lot more than just one player and you can very well win the title with your best player being a top-5 or top-10 player.
Give me some examples of teams that can win without a top 5 player.