1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Illustrated] Chris Ballard Piece on Daryl Morey - "Moneyballsy"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 29, 2012.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

It means progress in two years. Being a team on the rise. Start by making the playoffs and building off of that. It DOES NOT mean tanking.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My reading of the piece is that Les means that in 2 years we'll have enough info to determine whether the current plan is working, both in terms of how the young players perform and improve and in terms of whether the Rockets will manage to take advantage of that cap space to land a major piece.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I still believe Les was holding Morey back from clearing out the roster, so i don't think Morey was that concerned over it. Certainly, the moves will make him feel more comfortable, but i think the 2 yr window would have been there either way.

4. gah

gah Member

Thanks durvasa for posting the link to the podcast. For those who can't buy the magazine Chris Ballard said it will be available online for free maybe tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll be looking up to it.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

awesome read..long...but well worth it

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for the link

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They credited Morey for the Rudy Gay trade. Wait for it...

So, morey uses ipads AND books ;)

Here is our shoutout. I'm almost sure Morey asked him to include it:

#108 RV6, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  9. just a word

just a word Member

God, I really really really hope Morey stands pat on new trades at least until the deadline or maybe even until the end of the season because I'm really liking all our team right now. I want to see what we really have instead of just flipping the team again for an upgrade. :(

And even Parsons wasn't sure if he's going to be able to stay. What.

I hope this just lights a fire under everyone's ass instead of encouraging them to not give a crap.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not picking on you, but it's obvious you're new here. These things already happened last season and we're actually better off now. Patience.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good piece. There are a few factual things that I am not sure are correct, but small quibbles.

For example, he talked about the Rockets having a lot of cap room before the Harden trade. In fact, the Rockets actually didn't have much cap room (only something like $5M) and didn't need any cap room to make the Harden deal-- they sent out more $ than they received. Also, he talked about Clutchfan members have great appreciation for Morey's methods. Some do, but others were calling for his firing before the Harden deal.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

13. just a word

just a word Member

I'm unrepentantly new here and I know it happened last season, which is why I'm worried. Because I like this current group, specifically; I'm not a Houston native, and I refuse to root for the Lakers and while I like watching Griffin dunk, I'm meh on the Clippers in general. I got lured here because of Lin, frankly, and stayed because of Asik and Parsons and Jones and Morris, and the rest of the guys have been growing on me despite my continued surprise and disbelief at Toney Douglas and total uncertainty towards Patterson.

I don't want this to turn into a Knicks situation where they thought two stars would be better than one and used Stat to nab Melo and then Tyson Chandler and now there's a trainwreck whenever all three are on the floor at once. I barely even watched the latter games even when Lin played because half the time I'm yelling, da fuq r you doin? at the screen.

So yeah, I'm trying for patience, and for hoping that Morey's numbers are telling him to stand pat and not mess this up. I don't want him to try for Howard again, let alone Bynum and his knees, because Asik is improving with almost every game, let alone the other young guys. I don't want Parsons to be traded off, and sorta spazzed a bit on learning that OKC originally wanted him for their Harden deal. I don't want our rookies/sophomores leaving before they had a bit more time to try to reach their peaks. :( And frankly hoping that Lin doesn't get traded because I don't have time to follow two teams and he'd BETTER not get traded to the Lakers because I'd flip tables.:mad:

14. MrJason

MrJason Member

[SI Vault] Article on Morey

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206495/1/index.htm

Not sure if it has been posted yet since I don't have the search feature. But if I missed the article, I'm sure others did too. Good read.

Lock if needed.

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I'm pretty sure it was posted before, but not 100% sure.

Great article though

16. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Great read, thanks for the link!

17. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

2 people like this.
  18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

So a guy who studied statistics at MIT values statistics over a bunch of ex basketball players?

In other news, Floyd Mayweather Jnr can punch ok.

19. gengar

gengar Member

Our francise= Above average GM, below average coach

20. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I cant agree with you. Morey has put this team in the best situation to be good right now and great in the future.

As for McHale, I love the way he is using this teams youth as an advantage. I also love the way he is developing our bigs. Asik, Patterson, and Smith are all playing quite well offensively.