1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Illustrated] Chris Ballard Piece on Daryl Morey - "Moneyballsy"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jimes

Jimes Member

Are moneyball and trying to get the best player in the league exclusive? :confused: Moneyball would say to get the best player in the league since he's worth more than the max contract.

Since we do not have the best player in the league, then if you rule out tanking, moneyball seems a great way to incrementally get better.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I picked up a copy of the latest issue of SI. It was definitely a fun read and I encourage others to read it in print.

Some things that were interesting to me:

• Morey once drove to Tracey's house and showed him a powerpoint presentation titled "Tracybeaggressive", which was about how his failure to attack the basket made him less effective.
    • Morey estimates that the Rockets spend 10 times the next team when it comes to quantitative analysis
    • Chuck Hayes was particularly beloved (Hinkie has a poster of him in his office). And as for Morey's apparent soft spot for undersized bigs who get by on hustle and effort, there's a funny possible explanation for that ("... In the years that followed, Morey stopped growing. By the time he was a senior, he was the size of a guard but stuck with big man skills. Morey has lived out his remaining hoops days, from intra-murals at Northwestern to pick-up games with Rockets staffers, as the quintessential undersized four ...")
    • The Rockets knew drafting White was a tremendous gamble, but the team considered him one of the top 5 talents in the draft.
    • The Rockets embed accelerometers in their players jersey's during practice to measure their ability to accelerate. Lin, by far, is the quickest accelerating. Harden wasn't in the top 3.
    • What sets Harden apart isn't his physical attributes but rather his scoring efficiency because the vast majority of his shots are 3-pointers, at the rim, or free throws (which constitute the three most efficient ways to score). Harden's 66% true shooting percentage, posted last year, was the second highest in league history for a high-usage player.
    • Yes, there is a Clutchfans.net mention in there in case you're wondering.
    • Around the league, some execs have a lot of respect for Morey ("smartest GM in the league", according to one), and others not so much ("He has good intentions, but that's not how I do business" regarding his openness with the media). According to JVG: "A lot of basketball people want to see Daryl fail, not because they don't like him, but because they don't like the numbers movement."
    • Every few weeks, Morey has seven staffers and an independent evaluator rank the top 35 picks for the upcoming draft. He tries to combine a mix of old-school and analytic types to avoid groupthink and come up with an objective listing of the top 60 players. The Rockets believe second-round draft picks are the most undervalued asset.
    • Morey was once ranked in the top 100 players nationally under 21 for ping pong. He apparently won the NBA table tennis tournament last year.
    • Les Alexander says "two years" when asked how long until he knows if Morey's current approach will work. The implication seems to be that if the Rockets don't achieve real playoff success within the next two seasons, Alexander will go in a different direction. Not sure if that means switching GMs or asking Morey to try something different.

#62 durvasa, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    8 people like this.
  3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Great read, thanks for the snip durvasa. Did the quoted part mean the quickest on the Rockets or the quickest in the NBA?

4. durvasa

From the article, I think quickest on the team. Probably he's amongst the tops in the league too.

5. nbafever

nbafever Member

Thanks a lot, durvasa. Been waiting for this.

I'm still trying to figure out how we can get a copy here in the Phils. Hope more snippets will come out.

I LOLed at Morey being the quintessential undersized 4. I surmise Rockets are the only NBA team whose GM commands 'superstar' attention. Every interview yields something fascinating and his every move is analyzed to death. Of course, he's also very polarizing in the league and media.

I love that panoramic shot of the HOU five going downcourt! Morris in instead of PPAt.

Thanks a lot again.

6. nbafever

nbafever Member

I think Les Alexander is just keeping Morey on his toes.

That said, when did DM first get to HOU? Will he be 10 years in HOU in 2014?

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Do you have any facts to support that statement?

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Stupendous post!

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's a crazy list. Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade were definitely regarded by many as better than Dirk before the season he won the championship. But it seems you need to be reminded how good Dirk was/has been throughout his career, so check this out:

NBA Champion: 2011
    NBA Most Valuable Player: 2007
    NBA Finals MVP: 2011
    11× NBA All-Star: 2002–2012
    12× All-NBA Team: 2001–2012
    4× First Team: 2005–2007, 2009
    5× Second Team: 2002–2003, 2008, 2010–2011
    3× Third Team: 2001, 2004, 2012
    Three-Point Shootout Champion: 2006
    2× Western Conference champion: 2006, 2011

That said - let's look at the rest of the list:

Kevin Garnett - Garnett had been on the decline for years and was definitely not better than Dirk. Not for years. Honestly, it's arguable as whether he was better in his best years. it is definitely close, but they both only won one MVP and they both only have one ring. Honestly, I might give the edge to Dirk simply for the fact that he won his ring without the aid of another star player (much less two).

Amar'e Stoudemire - Absolutely insane. At no point during Stoudemire's career has he ever been widely considered better than Dirk. Dirk is a former MVP of both the regular season and the Finals. He's also an 11 time All-Star who has led the Mavericks to 12 straight playoffs appearances. Amar'e is a 6 time All-Star who has never even been in the running for MVP and the closest he's been to the Finals is the Western Conference Finals on a team in which he was the second best player.

Derrick Rose - He wasn't named the MVP until the year Dirk won a championship. He was never considered in Dirk's league before that season - which is what you are claiming. And even now, after his injury, it's not certain he'll ever reach anywhere close to the heights Dirk has.

Carmelo Anthony - Right now - today - would be regarded by most as better than Dirk (who is old now). But in the 2010/11 season, Melo was on the block. Here on Clutchfans, people were spending all day every day arguing about whether or not we even wanted him. He was considered by many to be fat, lazy, selfish and a loser. I don't really agree with those assessments - but I can't even remember the last time I've heard Dirk's game criticized. Also, in his 9 NBA seasons he's been an All-Star 5 times. Never sniffed an MVP award.

Chris Paul - Constantly injured. Never sniffed an MVP. Never been out of the first round of the playoffs. Seldom even made the playoffs. Enough said.

Manu Ginobili - I love Ginobili, but this is absurd. He's never even been the best player on his team. He is a two time All-Star. Nowitski won the MVP in the NBA. Ginobili won the MVP in the Italian League and his biggest individual achievement in the NBA is winning the 6th man of the year award.

A quick rundown of your honorable mentions:

Kevin Durant - should have been in your top 10 even though he was still very young.
    Steve Nash - Old and on the decline (and was the second best player on the team when he played with Dirk but his two MVP's definitely give him a case)
    Tony Parker - the third best player on his team.
    Tim Duncan - Obviously the better player for his career, but was already on the decline and only averaged 17.9 ppg that year.
    Pau Gasol - I'm really tempted to just say 'GTFO' and move on here, but instead I'll say this - Remember that list of all of Dirk's accomplishments I included above? Well this is Pau's:

2× NBA champion (2009, 2010)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (2002)
    All-NBA Second Team selection (2011)
    2× All-NBA Third Team selection (2009, 2010)
    4× NBA All-Star (2006, 2009, 2010, 2011)

Now GTFO.

Russell Westbrook - Not only was he not perceived as better than Dirk that year, I doubt he'll EVER be perceived as better than Dirk was at any point. In fact, I seriously doubt he'll ever be an MVP candidate.

In summary, it's absolutely undeniable that Dirk was a top 10 player that year and he was arguably a top 5 player still. For crying out loud, the man averaged 25.9 ppg and 8.4 rpg while shooting about 48% from the field and 90% from the free throw line the prior season.

1 person likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who the hell does Morey play against in these games when 6'4" 290 lbs is undersized as the 4?

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the undersized 4 reference only applies to Morey's early hoops career, not after.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

93-95 Rockets.

[​IMG]

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So a undrafted fa is gonna turn into a 2 time mvp and all time great? Gotcha!

14. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

yeah why not? Is there a law in the universe saying that's not allowed?:grin:

15. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

thnx nice analysis...this was very informative...btw can you also make a quick list of your today's top 10 players?

16. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Went out and picked up SI today and it was a great great read. A lot of interesting stuff in there like they have "accelerometer" technology on there practice jerseys to see who's the fastest on the court and surprisingly it was Jeremy Lin. Also they have some type of camera sensor (cant exactly remember what they called it) all in the rafters and track all different type of stats on all the players.

Great read, if you can everyone should go out and pick it up!

17. durvasa

18. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Why is that surprising? Lin was considered very quick last season, among all players -- there isn't anyone on the Rockets that would be quicker. No Rose or John Wall here.

19. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

20. durvasa