ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract
durvasa is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket...ly-for-a-game/

quote:

For one happy afternoon, Kyle Lowry was like most other Houston sports fans, except rather than watching the Texans on his flat screen, he was there at Ford Field, cheering and tweeting and offering no sign of professional athlete impartiality.

Lowry had left Houston, sent by the team in July to the Toronto Raptors to acquire the first-round pick it would later flip to get James Harden. But part of Lowry still considered Houston home. And given how proudly he has long carried his affection for his original hometown of Philadelphia that was saying a lot.

“I love Houston,” Lowry said before returning for tonight’s first meeting with the Rockets since the trade. “I love the people there. I love the city. They really accepted me as a man and as a player. It will always be my home away from home no matter where I am.”

As he looked ahead to the reunion and back on the three-and-a-half seasons he spent with the Rockets, he thought not of his frustrating last season marked by discord and illness or the late season collapse that prevented a return to the playoffs. He thought instead of good times and personal achievement as he went from a solid backup to a respected backcourt force.

“That’s why I think it will always be a special place for me,” Lowry said. “I started playing well in Houston. The city and organization gave me the opportunity to do things. It will always have a special place in my heart.”

Lowry said he did not take the trade personally any more than he objected to being traded to Houston from Memphis, where he will play Wednesday in the next step of his reunion tour. His former teammates, however, expected to see him at his most aggressive, his most determined.

“He’s going to be coming at us,” Chandler Parsons said. “Knowing him, he’s going to want to have a good game. He’s been playing really well this season, too. It’s going to be a big challenge to have a guy with his mindset and his ability coming in here wanting to play really well.”

Lowry is averaging a career high 18.3 points to go with 6.1 assists in his eight games with the Raptors. He missed six games after spraining his right ankle. He said he is still working his way back, but has been more frustrated by the Raptors’ run of narrow, often agonizing defeats, including Sunday’s double-overtime loss to the Spurs to drop to 3-11.

“We have talent,” Lowry said. “We have to put it together. If we can get a three-game, four-game streak, we’ll get to .500 by the break. We have to keep playing and get over that hump to win these games.”

With that in mind, Raptors coach Dwane Casey – a finalist for the position in Houston in 2011 – has leaned on Lowry to lead his young team.

“At times, like most young teams, the first time something goes wrong, the first thing that goes down are your shoulders,” Casey told the Toronto media last week. “You don’t see that with Kyle. Kyle is always up, always saying ‘come on, it’s a close game.’ We need that. We’ve got to have that from Kyle.

“He’s been a pitbull. He’s given the rest of the players a swagger. He kind of identifies how we want be: tough, a little grimy and that’s what he’s added to our team. That’s his personality. “We’ve heard that from other coaches. Talking to Lionel (Hollins, who coached Lowry in Memphis), Kevin (McHale) in Houston, that’s just his leadership. He’s one of those guys who’s like a Pied Piper in those situations.”

Lowry had been open about his disagreements with Rockets coach McHale last season. Knowing this, Casey has sought to make Lowry a partner in guiding the Raptors’ rebuilding.

“We have a great rapport to try to make the team better,” Lowry said. “People say that me and coaches never got along, but I only had a few coaches. I think he’s a guy that wants to say we worked together. That stigma, he wants to break that and I’m with him.”

There was a time he had the same role with the Rockets. Patrick Patterson spoke of copying Lowry’s arrive-early work habits. Jeremy Lin praised him as underrated and said “There wasn’t one thing he couldn’t do.”

They also expected that the competitor they knew would want to hit them with everything he had.

“I’m anxious to see how hard he’s going to play,” Patterson said. “When he was with us, his motor was running 24/7. Kyle loved being here in Houston. He loves us on this team, me, Chandler and Marcus (Morris), the guys he knows.”

That much has not changed, Lowry said. The Texans are not the only Houston team that stirs his emotions.

“It was a decision the Rockets made,” Lowry said. “I never took it personally. It’s just a game, but I am excited to come back.”

Sponsored Link
DreamShook is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
I've only Had 4 favorite players...

Hakeem Olajuwon
Dwyane Wade*
Chuck Hayes
Kyle Lowry

tamericus is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
tamericus
Contributing Member
tamericus is Omer Asik -- working the boardstamericus is Omer Asik -- working the boardstamericus is Omer Asik -- working the boardstamericus is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34434
I miss him..

SF3isBack!! is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
SF3isBack!!
SF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25485
Bring back lowry!! if at all possible, lol.

clutz is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
clutz
clutz is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2011
Member: #48660
So we know Lowry's going to exceed his season average of 18.3 PPG tomorrow night -- but by how much?

Go_Korea is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Go_Korea
Go_Korea is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGo_Korea is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16488
I love Lowry. He hustled every single play. He was my favorite player on the team even when he was backing up Aaron Brooks.

clutz is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
clutz
clutz is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2011
Member: #48660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Korea View Post
I love Lowry. He hustled every single play. He was my favorite player on the team even when he was backing up Aaron Brooks.
I love how he used to drive repeatedly to the hoop like a maniac, partly because he had no (in game) outside shot at the time, but also because his usage rate was lower.

Ricksmith is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Ricksmith
Contributing Member
Ricksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRicksmith is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: May 2009
Member: #41990
I was so upset when Morey traded Rafer for Lowry and Brian Cook... I'm an idiot. I wonder if he has gone back to the Breakfast Klub yet?

roxxy is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51508
Lowry is going to memphis right after also. It is the Lowry tour over the next three days.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

DreamShook is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksmith View Post
I was so upset when Morey traded Rafer for Lowry and Brian Cook... I'm an idiot.
You weren't the only one. I still remember the comments: "We Traded Rafer for a backup!?"

RV6 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
Might be too early for him to say all that....he could easily spend 7 yrs in Toronto and that'll become his home away from home.

He's going to hound the fck out of Lin though...I hope he's ready.

My feeling is L̶i̶n̶ Motiejunas needs another year, but team direction has shifted and shifted hard. It goes without saying — this is going to be a very important year for J̶e̶r̶e̶m̶y̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶ Donatas Motiejunas.

moestavern19 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
moestavern19
Contributing Member
moestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1017
Quote:
I was so upset when Morey traded Rafer for Lowry and Brian Cook... I'm an idiot. I wonder if he has gone back to the Breakfast Klub yet?
I would have been upset, except I was at a preseason game where Lowry dropped a triple double on us. I knew right then that the dude could ball.

I was pretty excited about that trade.

Brooks / Lowry was such a dynamic back-court 2 years ago.

DudeWah is offline Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
DudeWah
Contributing Member
DudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDudeWah is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26035
Quote:

Really? I couldn't have been happier. For the sole reason that Rafer was finally off the team. I didn't care if they traded him for a package of Pringles.

But it turned out great b/c Lowry ended up being an amazing player for us.

Blaster_333 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Blaster_333
Blaster_333 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2012
Member: #50220
I miss the toughness, heart and hustle that Scola,Landry,Hayes & Lowry brought to this team. Everytime I watch games now, I'm looking to see which guys out of the current roster will be the new heart and hustle.

I guess Parsons and Asik are good candidates, hoping Marcus will step up and revive that Philly toughness Lowry showed every night.

rolyat93 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
rolyat93
rolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererolyat93 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47852
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6 View Post
Might be too early for him to say all that....he could easily spend 7 yrs in Toronto and that'll become his home away from home.

He's going to hound the fck out of Lin though...I hope he's ready.
Rockets will look to exploit Harden v Derozan anyway. I don't think we'll see too much Lin v Lowry.

Dei is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Dei
Dei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19029
We miss you too you Ninja Turtle. Trade Lin for him.

roxxy is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51508
Jonas vs Omer is going to be really really good.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

TheMystery008 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
TheMystery008
TheMystery008 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTheMystery008 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTheMystery008 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Member: #51891
Original Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA
As the owners of a roster that has undergone more turnover and transition than any other team in the NBA over the course of the calendar year, the Rockets came into this season as veritable locks to be league leaders in ‘reunion’ games. You know the type: Those contests where Team X faces Player Y, now wearing a different jersey, for the first time since his departure. Houston’s last two games have fit that description with Omer Asik going up against his former teammates from Chicago on Wednesday while Friday featured Jeremy Lin and Toney Douglas squaring off against the New York Knicks (not to mention Marcus Camby’s quiet return to Houston).

Appropriately enough, the Rockets will wrap up their three-game homestand with one more such contest when Kyle Lowry and the Toronto Raptors invade Toyota Center Tuesday night. Little has gone the Raptors’ way through the regular season’s opening month, with the club having dropped four straight games, the last three of which by a combined seven points.

But minimal, if any, blame for Toronto’s 3-11 start can be placed at the feet of Lowry (save for the five games he missed due to a bum ankle). When healthy, the Philly-native has picked right up where he left off after enjoying a career year last season in Houston (a campaign, most will recall, that was also somewhat marred due to health issues), ranking among the top-10 in the NBA in Player Efficiency Rating while averaging around 18 points, six rebounds and six assists per game and hitting better than 40 percent from beyond the arc.

It is that last point that perhaps speaks most to the work ethic that lies at the heart of Lowry’s success and the tenacity to which his former teammates in Houston refer most when his name is mentioned. Lowry did not enter the NBA as a knockdown shooter; far from it in fact. Indeed, for three straight seasons he hit fewer than 28 percent of his 3-point attempts. To rectify that deficiency in his game, he worked tirelessly and today the fruits of his labor are there for all to see.

Those dividends, however, did not arrive overnight. Entire seasons went by while he labored beneath the label of being a non-threat from distance. And the importance of that lesson has certainly not been lost on Houston’s current point guard who, like Lowry, has earned a reputation as a smart, hard-working player who can rebound and draw fouls very well for his position, but one who can also be left alone whenever the ball finds him behind the arc.

How appropriate, then, that on the day before Jeremy Lin’s and Kyle Lowry’s new teams are due to meet, the former was the last player to leave the floor after practice, perspiring profusely while launching one 3-pointer after another a good 30 minutes after Houston’s workout had ended.

“He can shoot the heck out of the ball,” said Lin, remarking upon the incredible transformation Lowry has undergone as a shooter since he entered the league. “I’ve seen as a shooter what I came in as to where I am now and where I want to go to, so definitely he’s is a great example of how hard work can really help you.”

That hard work is essential to ultimately enjoying sustained success is not a newsflash, of course. But Lowry’s career arc represents the significance of something else that’s just as fundamental and important: Good things come to those who wait. Patience paid off for Lowry in his mission to become a better shooter. And Lin’s similarly single-minded dedication to his craft is giving the Rockets reason to believe that, over time, they will reap the rewards of his hard work as well.

And-1s: After missing the Rockets’ past five games, Carlos Delfino (groin) was a partial participant in Monday’s practice. And while he says he’s getting closer to a return, he also indicated he’d prefer to make it all the way through an entire practice session before rejoining his teammates in game action. Acting head coach Kelvin Sampson labeled Delfino’s chances of playing against Toronto as “50-50.”

Terrence Jones and Toney Douglas missed Monday’s practice due to flu-like symptoms. Their status for Tuesday’s contest will be determined closer to game time.

(Beverley - Harden - Ariza - Jones - Howard)

Sen89 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
Sen89
Sen89 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodSen89 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34634
I miss you so, Kyle

teebone21 is offline Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
teebone21
teebone21 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49861
Lowry is gonna kill lin and get him benched before halftime