ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[Woj] For Jeremy Lin, a jagged journey back to Houston gives him reason to trust again
Tags:  basketball, houston, houston rockets, jeremy lin, nba, new york, new york knicks, yahoo Tags
gah is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
gah
gah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35354
Quote:
HOUSTON – For the monumental lengths the Houston Rockets had gone to wrest him out of New York, Jeremy Lin still walked into this franchise an uneasy, mistrusting soul. Somehow, the $25 million free-agent commitment hadn't eased an impending suspicion of betrayal, a gnawing uncertainty that sides would soon be chosen against him, that welcoming faces could soon turn without warning.

From the front office to the coaching staff, the Rockets found Lin slow to embrace them. New York had built up Lin, torn him down and spit him out far more cynical, far less earnest. In so many ways, he had come to isolate himself with the Knicks. He was wary of management and media, coaches and teammates and, ultimately, even his closest friends.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--af...-14461809.html

Sponsored Link
tzou88 is online now Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
tzou88
tzou88 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44208
Makes it sound like a soap opera.

stylus8088 is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
stylus8088
stylus8088 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32485
Great read from Woj, as always. Again, another reality check for the hardcore fans - Lin is still learning. He's so young and inexperienced that mistakes are expected.

He's still a work in progress but at least in Houston, he can learn his own way.

Karolik is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Karolik
Karolik is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineKarolik is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineKarolik is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44968
WOJ's articles are always so dramatic. Makes it more interesting I guess.

zdrav is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
zdrav
zdrav is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finezdrav is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51828
It's encouraging to read that Lin believes the Rockets' coaching staff to have his back.

Amel is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Amel
Contributing Member
Amel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the pointsAmel is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16438
Lin needs to get back to running at the rim...this is where he will find his confidence

stop passing the ball around the three point line!

I knew exactly the thread on our forums he was referring to. A user had reacted prematurely to T-Will’s rough first half against the Spurs only to get clowned by the community for the rest of the game as Williams hit 7 of his last 9 shots in the second half.

jaedenky is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
jaedenky
jaedenky is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51805
Jeremy Lin is the modern day Jackie Robinson, he's been underrated, hated on, called racial slurs, spit on, physically intimidated, assaulted, insulted, betrayed by his own team, fans and media. Guys like SAS have made it their personal mission to destroy his character.

Don't trust them Jeremy because quite frankly these brutes are not civilized or honorable human beings. They only see the shape of your eyes, the color of your skin, they see an enemy not a person.

There will come a day when Asian athletes will not be discriminated against in the NBA, but today is not that day. Jeremy Lin is a paving the way for others, he's bearing the cross just like Jackie Robinson did. Thank you for your contribution Jeremy, it takes incredible strength of character to overcome such discrimination, racism and hatred. You do it with class. I commend you brother.

cdain3 is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
cdain3
cdain3 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecdain3 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecdain3 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaedenky View Post
Jeremy Lin is the modern day Jackie Robinson, he's been underrated, hated on, called racial slurs, spit on, physically intimidated, assaulted, insulted, betrayed by his own team, fans and media. Guys like SAS have made it their personal mission to destroy his character.

Don't trust them Jeremy because quite frankly these brutes are not civilized or honorable human beings. They only see the shape of your eyes, the color of your skin, they see an enemy not a person.

There will come a day when Asian athletes will not be discriminated against in the NBA, but today is not that day. Jeremy Lin is a paving the way for others, he's bearing the cross just like Jackie Robinson did. Thank you for your contribution Jeremy, it takes incredible strength of character to overcome such discrimination, racism and hatred. You do it with class. I commend you brother.
Don't ever compare Jeremy Lin to Jackie Robinson. Makes you sound idiotic.

Second_Cousin is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Second_Cousin
Second_Cousin is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51950
Coaches are marginalizing his talents, hiding him in the corner, and he is too nice to say anything about it, proclaiming McHale cares about him. Don't buy it. And Jeremy is being naive once again. Would anyone be surprised to see a story someday about Lin on ESPN's 30 for 30, and his time in Houston being his downfall?

Air Langhi is online now Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Air Langhi
Contributing Member
Air Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAir Langhi is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1843
Quote:

Wow. I didn't realize Lin grew up during segregation. I didn't know he fought for this country in a segregated unit. I guess Lin must be getting a lot of death threats as well. Hopefully he wins the MVP and Becomes a hall of famer.

Postcall is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Postcall
Postcall is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52284
Quote:

Please stop baiting people.

Coban Hutton is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Coban Hutton
Coban Hutton is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51769
Overly dramatic article. The Knicks treated him like garbage, ingrates that they are -- but Melo's inarticulate statements to the press are always blown out of proportion. JR Smith is a moron, so who cares what he says. Woodson is a good coach and used Lin cleverly, but maybe his style is more abrasive and critical than MDA who is hands-off. Idiots like JR need that, I guess, or he'd be tweeting dick pics like Anthony Weiner.

Anyway, I'm surprised Lin trusts Houston, where everyone is treated like an asset. Though Morey usually does well by his players in trades.

tie22fighter is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
tie22fighter
tie22fighter is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5022
I am sorry. But there is no way he will be happy to camp in the corner and be the spot up shooter.

Not saying it is a wrong decision. Coach has a legit reason to have Harden as both the initiator and the finisher.

With D'Antoni, Jeremy is both the initiator and (in many times) the finisher.

With Woodson, Jeremy is the initiator and Carmelo is the finisher.

But with our coaches, with the exception of the first 2 to 3 games, he is neither.

He wants opportunity to learn, he got less chance here.

The main part of this article is probably done before the last few games.

Sampson
Olajuwon
Yao

and

Howard

torocan is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
torocan
torocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52386
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdain3 View Post
Lin is Not Jackie Robinson.

Robinson had impacts that went well beyond the racial integration of a single baseball player. He had more far reaching social impacts in the racial discourse of America.

However, Jeremy Lin by defacto has become a torch bearer for Asian Americans, that in some ways follows the finest traditions established by Jackie Robinson.

As one of the pioneers, he has endured racial slurs, and arguably racial profiling to some degree or another.

I refer you to this Article from long before Linsanity became a household name...

Quote:
A Harvard hoopster with pro-level talent? Yes, that's one reason Lin is a novelty. But let's face it: Lin's ethnicity might be a bigger surprise. Fewer than 0.5% of men's Division 1 basketball players are Asian-American...

Some people still can't look past his ethnicity. Everywhere he plays, Lin is the target of cruel taunts. "It's everything you can imagine," he says. "Racial slurs, racial jokes, all having to do with being Asian." Even at the Ivy League gyms? "I've heard it at most of the Ivies if not all of them," he says. Lin is reluctant to mention the specific nature of such insults, but according to Harvard teammate Oliver McNally, another Ivy League player called him a C word that rhymes with ink during a game last season. On Dec. 23, during Harvard's 86-70 loss to Georgetown in Washington, McNally says, one spectator yelled "Sweet-and-sour pork!" from the stands.

In the face of such foolishness, Lin doesn't seem to lose it on the court. "Honestly, now, I don't react to it," he says. "I expect it, I'm used to it, it is what it is." Postgame, Lin will release some frustration. "He gets pissed about it afterwards," says McNally. "I have to tip my hat to him. I don't know how I'd react. The type of dude I am, I might not be as mature as Jeremy."
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...953708,00.html

No, Jeremy Lin is NOT Jackie Robinson. However, I would argue that he is attempting to follow the example of pioneers like Jackie Robinson.

Just because he stands on the shoulders of giants, does not mean he does not carry his own burdens.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/03/22/yo...games-so-what/

makman is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
makman
makman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5662
Modern day Jackie Robinson is just a beyond idiotic statement. It's a cutthroat business and he of all people should understand that after being waived 3 times prior to Linsanity. He'll have $25 mill after 3 years with a starting job in a diverse, understanding city. No pity here, time for him to play up to that.

zdrav is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
zdrav
zdrav is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finezdrav is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Member: #51828
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdain3 View Post
Obviously, Jaedensky was using hyperbole, but the seed of his claim is true: Jeremy Lin's story is one of racial discrimination.

Lin himself has not been shy about talking about this, which I commend him for.

Or is he just a race-baiter?

stl1622dc is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
stl1622dc
stl1622dc is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2009
Member: #41626
And next time on As the Lin Turns(over)...

Will Lin rise from the ashes of that embarrassing air ball?
How will he react when he sees his Ex-coach w/ another team?
What does his arch-enemy, JR, have planned for him next week?

All this and more on next week's episode.

Brought to you by the WOJ.

meh is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Jaedenky seems to be a troll account of a regular here. There's no way anyone would compare Lin to Jackie Robinson without purposely trying to get a rise out of people.

dchoye is offline Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
dchoye
dchoye is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52803
Awful article in my opinion
Too over dramatic
This was purely business decision by upper management
Coach Woodsen and Knicks team would have negotiated and have Lin the first Knick resigned in the offseason if they could do it
Lin still needs to play better to have all the Rockets fans warm up to him

NY fans still luv Lin
I sure he's going to get cheers pregame when Rockets play Knicks at MSG

Solidz75 is offline Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
Solidz75
Rookie
Solidz75 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52622
While Jeremy talks about his race being part of the whole disrespect, he continues to play the stereotype and wants to be a docile, quiet Asian boy, while it is apparent to the rest of the fan base that the coaching staff is not playing to his strengths.
Well if that is what Jeremy wants as this article points out, then so be it. If he is just content to be the role player and shy away from asserting himself then I'm not gonna defend him anymore. Quite disappointed in his statements but maybe it just isn't part of his genetic make up.