1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] For Jeremy Lin, a jagged journey back to Houston gives him reason to trust again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Nov 14, 2012.

1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

OP, this was a very interesting article. Lin has always been disarmingly honest and humble, unfortunately sometimes to his detriment.

2. zdrav

zdrav Member

In America, "Asian" is a salient identity, and if you reject it, you probably have some kind of racial insecurity issues going on.

You can identify yourself by your race AND your ethnicity.

A Japanese-American who emphatically denies that he is Asian sounds like someone with identity issues.

3. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

So you just consider yourself a Japanese only? I don't ever hear
    someone saying Lin is a racial miracle. I don't understand why you say this.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I have a question for you, are you an American? Do you even live in the United States? Have you every played pickup basketball as the only player who's not white or black?

Because Jeremy Lin is an Asian-American. He's not Taiwanese/Chinese, whatever; he's an American first. He's a role model and inspiration to all Asian-Americans in this country regardless of what country their ancestors lived in once upon a time.

Look at the quote in the article given by Lin:

[rQUOTEr]"I've always been a target," Lin says. "Everyone looks me and says, 'I'm not going to let that Asian kid embarrass me. I'm going to go at him.' That's how it's been my whole life. This has been different, though. Now, I was on the scouting report. People started to pay attention to what I could and couldn't do.

"But a target? I was used to that. I'm not saying I get everyone's best shot, but I would say people don't want to be embarrassed by me because of my skin color."[/rQUOTEr]

It's something that every person who's Asian-American has felt at least once in their life; entering into a situation where everyone looks at you and you know that they're thinking in their head "he doesn't belong here, I'm going to show him up." Asian-Americans have been fighting this perception for years; the patronizing label of "Model Minority" always being used as a way to ensure that no matter whether an Asian-American has been born and raised in this country, he's always going to be an outsider.

Every night Jeremy Lin goes out and shows he belongs in the NBA, Asian-Americans cheer for him not because of his skin-color, but because we know he went through the same experiences we did in being underestimated and disrespected but he has the talent to shove it back in the establishment's face.

1 person likes this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Did I just read that Japanese people aren't Asian.. what..

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

So my question is: IF I'm full Japanese and I'm about to fill out some type of college application that ask me for my race/ethnic background, which one do I check?

Options usually are:

Black
    White
    American Indian/Alaska Native
    Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
    Asian
    Hispanic (of any race)
    Race and ethnicity unknown

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You are White

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Technically, you can check anything you want, but if you check Asian, you will likely have a heck of a harder time getting in than checking anything else. Of course, the colleges might already know about you and your ethnic background, so it might not matter what you check.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Usually when my wife and I are about to eat out, I would ask, "how about some Asian?" Her reply would sometimes be," some sushi sounds great!"

If Japanese people are indeed NOT Asian, someone please enlighten me. I have no intentions of disrespecting the Japanese culture by assuming they are Asians.

10. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Japanese don't associate themselves with people of Chinese descent. This I know of.
    And vice versa

11. mirus

mirus Member

I've never faced those discrimination myself,but i did know a poster who is one himself,has been very bitter and any slight news /posts will be viewed by him as racism(even if it's not).My question is it racism part of your everyday life?

12. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Well said. I tell you a funny story. When I first emigrated, some
    white or black kids called me "chink", and I was curious why they called me
    "chink" when I was Korean. I thought they should call me "kink". Then it dawned on me that this was the denigrating term used for Asians, but because Chinese emigrated to US in mass, that's how the term originated.

13. mirus

mirus Member

Colj,you seems to be someone who watches lin's game a lot,how was he like before?

14. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

In Golden State and NY, he was an attacking point guard/slasher, which is exactly how Lin describes himself - when he is playing his game, in those days.

He doesn't play anything like that right now...

He isn't a shooter, never has and never will be, and isn't a pure floor general either. An all round player you could say - dabbles a bit in everything

1 person likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I guess it's some weird thing like some Brits don't consider themselves to be yuropean.

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Many Asians just don't like being lump all together. It's nothing new. Filipinos, Koreans, Japanese, etc. Maybe because Asians are always portrayed as weak, geeky, nerdy, or for whatever reason. Asia is just a continent hence Asians.

17. mirus

mirus Member

thanks colj,saw u b4 at other site. every guy i know that watch him earlier always says he plays an all round game(and always associated it with harvard)

18. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Are u fing kidding me. Calling a Japanese Asian is racist? Not going to debate with an idiot. Whether the Japanese think they are Asian or not, it doesn't matter. U are Asian ...omg.

19. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

I'm an Asian which encompasses Japanese, Korean and Chinese:Taiwanese along with Filipino, etc. if the Japanese feel differently, that is their stupid complex. Don't try to instill a false logic to the rest of the world.

So when a Japanese apply for a job or college, they don't check off Pacific Islander/Asian? GTFO.

1 person likes this.
  20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I thought so. Solid post.