1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] For Jeremy Lin, a jagged journey back to Houston gives him reason to trust again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Nov 14, 2012.

1. akuma

akuma Member

maybe he thinks he's oriental. as opposed to Asian like those Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Israelis, Palestinians, Afghans, Iranians/Persians, Indonesians, Arabs, Turks and eastern Russians who are all technically ASIAN. and don't tell me they aren't. because if they're not, then the term Asian is meaningless. Asian as a race is one of the stupidest developments i've ever seen, and i guess only really works in the US for some reason. i guess in America, Asian only applies to the far east or southeast of the continent. so much mental laziness in America to fix wrong terms; why are Native Americans still called Indians? if i'm correct, Indians originate from India, not America. that ignorant mistake should have been fixed centuries ago. just call them yellow, brown, red, white or black and you'll have some idea of what "race" they are, instead of assuming that everone from a vast geographical location (like a whole freaking continent) looks the same. race is really just a social construct anyway; there are no racial genes or DNA.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Truth. I have never seen anyone refer to a Russian as Asian.

3. jason330i

jason330i Member

how can the japanese not consider themselves asian (east) considering the anthropological history and evidence?

4. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

I have never heard of the Japanese not call themselves Asian. Never. I doubt that guy is Japanese and if he is, he is in some kind of denial.

5. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

ITT: Insecure Asians

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

What a tough life Jeremy has had. Like other posters have mentioned, the article feels contrived. Sounds like an episode of One Tree Hill.

The least Jeremy can do is hit a few shots here and there. It's embarrassing. 24M for an PG that posts mediocre numbers except in steals? Sigh.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

I disagree on this his numbers have been solid in everything but FG%. Run plays for him as the primary ball handler first & then he will hit shots.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

what do houston fans expect? if Lin were to put up 15 points 6-7 assists a game (which would be well worth the 5 mill) at best this is a still a 30-35 win team.

Rocket fans expect to be in every game and in the hunt for the post-season? Get real. THe goal is to grow together, sign a max worthy player and then go from there.

This is one of the youngest teams in the league, only 4-5 players on it would even crack most NBA rotations, and people here are complaining they're blowing games, letting teams come back and make it close. That's like ordering a chicken and complaining it don't taste like duck.

9. beta ticket

beta ticket Member

Here is sampson about jlin from last night postgame talk.
    I thought Jeremy Lin especially was tough on defense tonight. Jeremy is tough; he doesn’t get enough credit for that. He sticks his nose in there and gets on the floor after loose balls and is always in good position and he moves the ball, too. As the season goes on, we’d like to get Jeremy more involved in pick-and-rolls. Teams just on him and force him to his left hand a lot and Jeremy is not as effective going left as he is going right. But as individual development he’s got to continue to work on that left hand so we can play pick-and-roll with him to different sides of the floor.

I didn’t think Jeremy took a bad shot all night. I liked every shot he attempted. I always look at him and give him a little fist bump and tell him, ‘Keep shooting, hoss – the next one will go in.’ I want him to have that confidence because I have that confidence in him. He’s had games this year, I’m thinking about the Atlanta and Detroit games on the road – Jeremy has had games where he’s made those shots. But he’s not what you would call a pure shooter. He’s more of a streak shooter so he’ll have those streaks where he makes those

10. jocar

jocar Member

FYI a guy named Yao was here before Lin was! I think all this prejudice you are implying is coming from a teeny tiny minority magnified by your perception alone.

11. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I find it interesting that the same people who are up in arms about comparing Lin to Jackie Robinson don't seem to protest whenever there is an Asian joke posted on the forum.

Yeah, racism against Asians doesn't exist. Every complaint is called "race baiting", or some other nonsense. Maybe there wouldn't be racism if the people who speak against "race baiting", speak as loudly when there are racist jokes.

Fans from China should take note. America is very racist, but hidden under layers of jokes, stereotypes, media images and such.

http://hypervocal.com/news/2012/racists-flock-to-facebook-to-celebrate-jeremy-rin/

1 person likes this.
  12. Jack Slaw

Jack Slaw Member

"America" is not a person you moron. If you're going to make generalizations like that then China is also racist. It is more culturally acceptable to be racist towards westerners while in China than to be racist towards anyone while in the U.S.

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Every country is racist to some extent. The US is better as a whole than many countries, but at the same time the fact that it is better in certain respects is often used as a shield by those who are blind to the truth and worse by racists who want to perpetrate stereotypes using precisely that shield. I have little doubt that Lin experienced and continues to experience everything he says. He just tells it like it is.

14. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

What he meant is "America" as a nation. Of course, it's not fair to generalize an entire population as having racist tendency, but let's be honest, people shouldn't try to pretend racial problems don't exist today. You'll learn interesting stuffs if you took Asian American Studies in college.

In regard to why some of the Chinese in China aren't too friendly with the Westerners. Well, the answer lies in the past. I wouldn't call them racist, but xenophobic... at least toward the westerners.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

Technically, Europeans are just Far West Asians. There's no logic to classifying Europe (no physical separation from Eurasia, and no separate tectonic plate) as a separate continent while lumping together India and Arabia — both of which have their own tectonic plates and distinct cultures — as part of Asia.