ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner
HI Mana is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
HI Mana
HI Mana is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHI Mana is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHI Mana is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHI Mana is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHI Mana is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHI Mana is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16454
Much like the 11:55 sketch on an SNL episode, I don't expect this thread to go very far. But I came across this short profile on the Rockets' OTHER Taiwanese, Howard Chen, and figured that it might be something different to ruminate on rather than coaching, Jeremy Lin and why the rookies aren't playing.

You might know him as the Asian guy who reads tweets during breaks in the action on CSN. Although apparently from reading this board, most everyone actually living in Houston hasn't due to the Comcast dispute. I must give it up to Comcast for finding something more inane than in-game sideline coaching interviews; I dearly hope that when the Spurs come into Houston they go to the logical extension and ask Pop a question starting with "randomasshat42 tweeted at us... your opinion?".

Anyway, I'm happy to see a competent Asian in the media, and much like Jeremy Lin, has a handle on what his presence means to future generations as a role model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryasianman.com
Who are you?
My name's Howard Chen. I've also been called Ho Chen. Or Ho Chizzle. Or Ho Diggity. Or just a Ho. Your choice. On Twitter, I'm @ho_chenCSN.

What are you?
A dork. A Canadian-Texan dork with parents from Taiwan. Oh, I'm also a sports nut. And a foodie. I loooooooove eating good food. I also loooooooove watching TV shows showcasing good food.

Where are you?
Houston, Texas (to be more specific, I'm in Sugar Land). This is where I went to high school. This is where my family lives, where my old high school friends are. I haven't been back in 14 years, so to be back now doing what I love feels ultimately gratifying. Seriously, the look on my parents' faces is the most priceless thing ever.

Where are you from?
I was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, lived there until I was 11, then moved to Sugar Land, Texas, where my family has remained since. Houston's a great city. This became all the more obvious to me as I chased my dreams and tried to make it back here.

What do you do?
I'm a TV sportsguy who is lucky enough to cover Jeremy Lin and the Houston Rockets for Comcast Sportsnet Houston. I chose the TV route over radio and newspaper mainly because there aren't enough of us Asian males out there representing, and seeing a face on TV is more influential, in my mind, than hearing a voice on the radio or seeing a name in print. I know plenty of Asian Americans love sports. I hope that seeing more Asian-American sportsguys on TV can influence them to chase their dreams. I hope ANYBODY (regardless the race) seeing me reach the place I've always wanted can help motivate them to chase their dreams, whatever they may be. That's what kept me in this game for so long, even though my dreams kept me away from home for so long. The 14 years away were worth what I'm experiencing now. I spent 4 years studying at Syracuse University and then 10 years in Ohio. I missed Houston a ton. And now I'm back. It feels unbelieveable. It helps that everybody at Comcast Sportsnet has been so nice, professional, and genuine.

What are you all about?
Loyalty. Being genuine. Honesty. Giving all of myself. I stay fierce to these principles. People who are this way to me, I return the favor. Every relationship, no matter the type, is mutual. I believe this. I also believe that things happen for a reason.

What makes you angry?
Ignorance. Fakeness. Dishonesty. I love my friends and family, and they have my back. I have theirs. Like I said earlier, I beileve relationships are mutual. All these people believed in me along the way. So much unconditional support. To be living my dream now where I have all of this... it's simply amazing.
http://blog.angryasianman.com/2012/1...ward-chen.html

Sponsored Link
fishguy91 is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
fishguy91
fishguy91 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52329
dont know too much abt thim, seems like a nice guy tho

Sadat X is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Sadat X
Sadat X is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSadat X is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSadat X is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Sep 2010
Member: #47102
He is annoying as fck

MKL is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
MKL
MKL is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51711
Now that you're making him out like a real person, a human being. We'll feel guilty hating on him.

However, the majority of us neckbeards would rather have a hotgirl doing his job. If there is a slim chance she'll flash a nipple, the forum would explode like 15 pages begging for screenshots.

LCII is online now Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
LCII
Contributing Member
LCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20646
He's like the Jeremy Lin of the sports casting world. Watch Chensanity explode in February when he goes on an unexpected run of entertaining sports reporting and make the cover of GQ.

lol jk

Sadat X is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Sadat X
Sadat X is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSadat X is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSadat X is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Yea i dont wanna hear what people are tweeting, Howard! Unless like MKL said: if there were a fine lady, id be ok and listen to every tweet

Sadat X is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Sadat X
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCII View Post
He's like the Jeremy Lin of the sports casting world. Watch Chensanity explode in February when he goes on an unexpected run of entertaining sports reporting and make the cover of GQ.

lol jk
Chensanity

MKL is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
MKL
MKL is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadat X View Post
He is annoying as fck
What did you expect, he went to highschool in Houston. lol. And he was born in Canada. haha. Recipe for failure.

kinein is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
kinein
kinein is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51768
I'm going to have to say I understand that he isn't charismatic and due to that he is going to catch some hate - but there are a lot of local media folks in Houston from the top to the bottom whom also lack charisma - or are just plain tiresome to listen to.

I blame Comcast.

iconoclastic is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
Horrible management decision to put him in the role he's in- he simply isn't good at it. It's like playing Toney Douglas- inexcusable executive decision.

desihooper is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
desihooper
Contributing Member
desihooper is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously gooddesihooper is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2000
Member: #1470
Howard's a good dude; I've known him since we were in Junior High together. He's a big Calgary Flames fan, IIRC. Also, he's wanted to do broadcasting for as long as I've known him, and that's why he ended up going to Syracuse. He's paid his dues in smaller markets since graduating, and I'm glad he's got a chance to come back home and be in a bigger market.

Mr. Clutch is online now Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Mr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7931
Give him a chance.

roxxy is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51508
He is kind of annoying but reading this makes me like him a lot more. I will stop putting my League pass on mute when his segment comes on from now on after reading this. :P

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

Lucky Charm is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Lucky Charm
Lucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52488
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCII View Post
The invasion of HoChen Only Fans is upon us. tinman might have to be put on suicide watch.

ScolaIsBallin is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
ScolaIsBallin
ScolaIsBallin is James Harden -- racking up the pointsScolaIsBallin is James Harden -- racking up the pointsScolaIsBallin is James Harden -- racking up the pointsScolaIsBallin is James Harden -- racking up the pointsScolaIsBallin is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2010
Member: #45932
seems like a nice dude. quit being a dick

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchVanityHalfBlack is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Member: #42029
He's gotten better I think, during the Pistons game, looked more natural/comfortable in front of the camera/ didn't rush his tweets or looked nervous.. Give the guy some time or hire another hot blonde to take over...

Panda23 is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Panda23
Panda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Member: #51490
hes just doing whats hes told to do damn so much hatred

dragonwill is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
dragonwill
dragonwill is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5325
I thought he graduated in Harvard.

nbafever is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
nbafever
nbafever is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50720
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but for a segment that's supposed to be light-hearted, he's not funny at all. That's why it comes off as awkward and sometimes painful to watch.

In comparison, look at how Bull and Bill come off--goofy and corny, but they are funny.

Alex L. is offline Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Alex L.
Contributing Member
Alex L. is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #51861
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Mana View Post
Much like the 11:55 sketch on an SNL episode, I don't expect this thread to go very far. But I came across this short profile on the Rockets' OTHER Taiwanese, Howard Chen....
The Rockets' OTHER Taiwanese? Lin is American and Chen is born Canadian and maybe now a naturalized American.

There are no Taiwanese on the Rockets team.