ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract
meh is offline Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
If mods feel this thread is redundant, feel free to merge.

I am probably one of the few people who never watched any of the Knicks games during Linsanity era, only some highlights. But a cursory glance at his stats as a starter in NY suggest a player with elite potential coupled with some problems that you'd expect from a youngster. To put it another way, if he was a top-5 pick that came out of college last year and put up even remotely close stats, people would talking about his future stardom like crazy.

Yet this offseason, it seems mostly fans just talk about him being a flash in the pan, he can't go left, he has too many TOs, he can't shoot, etc. Is there any reason why he can't fix the holes in his game at the age of 24? I mean, he's a Harvard grad, so you'd think he knows how to best improve his game. Is there something in his game that makes people think he's peaked as a defacto rookie?

Just trying to get some feedback from those who saw him play. Because it seems like the general sentiment is that he's all downhill from here. When traditional logic would indicate that Lin would improve on his weaknesses with time and actually become a more polished player while retaining his innate scoring/passing ability.

Sponsored Link
redwhiteone is offline Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
redwhiteone
redwhiteone is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodredwhiteone is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34532
Does Lin have the potential to be a great PG? I don't see this right now. Above average? Yes. I expect him to be an aggressive floor general. I observed NY before and when the pressure is on him defensively, he forces the ball like it's covered in butter.

This team is a young one so I will expect some blunders here and there. I hope he leads our team well when he's on the floor.

haoafu is offline Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
haoafu
Contributing Member
haoafu is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodhaoafu is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18655
I watched every minute of his games in Knicks. It sounds crazy, but I think Lin is a steal at this price for his ability/potential alone and he has excellant defense and clutchness.

Whenever Morey brings a new PG in, be it Lowry/AB/Dragic, the newcomer always surprises us and beat expectations. Be ready for the same thing down the road.

OremLK is offline Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Best case is all star, but not superstar. Could be a borderline top 5 PG in his peak years. He's a good bet to at least be starting caliber.

roxxy is offline Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51508
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
If mods feel this thread is redundant, feel free to merge.

I am probably one of the few people who never watched any of the Knicks games during Linsanity era, only some highlights. But a cursory glance at his stats as a starter in NY suggest a player with elite potential coupled with some problems that you'd expect from a youngster. To put it another way, if he was a top-5 pick that came out of college last year and put up even remotely close stats, people would talking about his future stardom like crazy.

Yet this offseason, it seems mostly fans just talk about him being a flash in the pan, he can't go left, he has too many TOs, he can't shoot, etc. Is there any reason why he can't fix the holes in his game at the age of 24? I mean, he's a Harvard grad, so you'd think he knows how to best improve his game. Is there something in his game that makes people think he's peaked as a defacto rookie?

Just trying to get some feedback from those who saw him play. Because it seems like the general sentiment is that he's all downhill from here. When traditional logic would indicate that Lin would improve on his weaknesses with time and actually become a more polished player while retaining his innate scoring/passing ability.
How often is a players first 25 games there best 25 games? He will continue to grow and develop and really the sky is his limit.

rocketblaze is offline Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
rocketblaze
rocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2009
Member: #41757
Upside: Toney Parker(esq)

raskol is offline Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
raskol
Contributing Member
raskol is Omer Asik -- working the boardsraskol is Omer Asik -- working the boardsraskol is Omer Asik -- working the boardsraskol is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51744
I've also observed every one of his games with the Knicks, and he is gonna be a good one. And he's got that special something about his game. The type that makes hustling' infectious, the type that makes everyone around him better. He's a "winner." I don't know how else to say it. He's ultra clutch and his defense is strangely, very strangely underrated. I can't believe that with all the hype, he is still, so underrated. He was the California HS player of the year and led his underdog team to a state championship and still wasn't offered any scholarships. He broke numerous records and won many awards at college and still wasn't drafted. He somehow made it to the NBA, got his first starts and killed it! Averaged insane numbers all at the young age of 23, and still gets treated as if he hasn't proven anything. Jeez. It's not a coincidence that he turned around his HS team into a champion, completely turned around the Harvard program at college, and turned around an NBA team into playoff contenders. He has the "it" factor and anyone who doesn't think so, I must conclude, has seen only a few of his games, if that. Check out his games guys, we have something to be excited about. I'm telling' ya.

rocketblaze is offline Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
rocketblaze
rocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2009
Member: #41757
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketblaze View Post
Upside: Tony Parker(esq)
fixed

Red.Glare is offline Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Red.Glare
Red.Glare is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2010
Member: #47145
If we go with the young guns, then his flaws won't show as much. This should give him time to improve his game, without the pressure and spotlight he would've had in NY.

Fullcourt is offline Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Fullcourt
Contributing Member
Fullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneFullcourt is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28396
He was basically a rookie last year, and played like a superstar for 2 weeks. He has the ability to be a bonafide stud, we'll just have to see how much he can grow.

pirc1 is online now Old 07-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
pirc1
Contributing Member
pirc1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpirc1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9366
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
Best case is all star, but not superstar. Could be a borderline top 5 PG in his peak years. He's a good bet to at least be starting caliber.
Reasonable. What was Nash's upside when he was in his 2nd and 3rd year?

larsv8 is online now Old 07-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
larsv8
Contributing Member
larsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28004
A less turnover prone Jeremy Lin

Morey is smarter, more aggressive and actually gets big stars that he didn't draft. The odds are against us now. Our FO just doesn't compare to theirs. We can beat them in the draft but the Bulls have never traded for a player as good as Harden or signed a player as good as Howard.

J-Red is offline Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
J-Red
J-Red is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51575
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
How often is a players first 25 games there best 25 games? He will continue to grow and develop and really the sky is his limit.
This. Plus I know everyone says players will learn how to play against him to counter his skill set, but he should be able to adapt as well. If he can get more consistent with his outside shot just a little more, it will open up the game he already has slashing to continue to grow as well.

Chinahype is offline Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Chinahype
Chinahype is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44727
I think it's harder for Jeremy to be less turnover prone because of his shorter wingspan and small hands... if only he was Jerome Lin that would be beast.

iconoclastic is offline Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
A rich man's Jeremy Lin.

meh is offline Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
If these are truly Lin's potential, seems like a good value at $8.3mil/yr then. Not sure why so many people are saying we overpaid. Generally FAs are players which have peaked. If Lin has potential, then he can easily outperform this contract. Heck, if he even reaches Kyle Lowry level, he'd be worth quite a lot more than 8mil/yr.

jaedenky is offline Old 07-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
jaedenky
jaedenky is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #51805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinahype View Post
I think it's harder for Jeremy to be less turnover prone because of his shorter wingspan and small hands... if only he was Jerome Lin that would be beast.
Why do you think he has small hands and short wingspan? he is 6'3" and has the 3rd longest wingspan of any PG his height, his wingspan is equal to someone that is 6'5". His athleticism and physical attributes are very underrated.

But oh yeah, I forgot, just because his eyes are a different shape that means he's scrawny, small, unathletic and has short arms (end sarcasm).

AFS is offline Old 07-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
AFS
AFS is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAFS is Omer Asik -- working the boardsAFS is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47830
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
He's a good bet to at least be starting caliber.
Hasn't he already proven himself to be starting caliber?

FLAGRANT1 is offline Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
FLAGRANT1
FLAGRANT1 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2980
14 pts
7 ast
3 to
44 % shooter
36-38 from 3
more attendance @ Toyota ctr
and a lot of pointless threads

leebigez is offline Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
leebigez
Contributing Member
leebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2700
I watched all his games 3 times and to me his upside is solid starter.

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.