1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He will be an all star or superstar.

2. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

That's actually a helluva point.

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

You not watching actual NBA games and seeing people play.... Why am I not surprised

Why stop there... Why not a hall of famer or goat

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This story may have been posted here, so skip it if you have read it before.

When Jeremy realized that neither Stanford, nor UCLA was interested in recruiting him, he turned his attention to IVY schools, to satisfy his parents' desire of him receiving a good education, and to get to play basketball. To his surprise, only two of the IVY schools showed SOME interested in him, Brown and Harvard, and neither of them actually send anyone to Palo Alto to take a look at him.

So when he was in Vegas for an AAU tournament that year, one of the Harvard basketball person happened to be there to scout other players. He watched part of a game Jeremy played, but came away unimpressed, didn't even bother to take any notes. The next day when he went to watch other perspectives who happened to play Jeremy's AAU team, he was shock to see that Jeremy dominated those highly recruited players, but even then he couldn't tell if Jeremy did anything differently from the previous game.

Anyway, he immediately called the Harvard coach, and the coaches flight to Palo Alto to meet Jeremy's parents the next day, then watch several of his games, include the "upset" of the national ranked opponents in the CA Stage title game, with Jeremy came away as the MVP.

The point I try to make is that Jeremy's game is not flashing, you won't see many from the ESPN highlight, bust just fundamental solid, and the guy is a winner at every level he has played, and I expect him to do the same thing as a Rockets.

5. Omron

Omron Member

I've seen every single one of Lin's games and my projection of his ceiling is ... *DRUM ROLL* ... Goran Dragic. Seriously, you guys need to bring expectations down with the top 5 PG top 10 PG projections. I am rooting for the kid but you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment. And it's not fair to the kid either. You were excited about handing a 27 year old Dragic with a $34M contract ($8M/year) so if you're getting a Dragic-clone you should be content.

I've seen every one of Lin's games and one thing I will call now.. he will always have a turnover problem. Since HS, college, he's always been a TO-prone player. It's not something that'll go away.

On the positive side, in case you guys think I'm a hater which I'm not, I have to say he's also always been somewhat clutch. He's very ballsy and has an uncanny ability to make the big shots in the 4th qtr and to do well when the lights are bright. If you look at his PER in the 4th qtr, he's like top 10 in the league I think.

6. David Stern

David Stern Member

Stopped reading there

1 person likes this.
  7. roxxy

roxxy Member

His PER in the fourth quarter I believe is 2nd in the league to CP3. And I actually disagree. I think his ceiling is much higher than Dragic. This also considers the fact that Lin is 24 and Dragic is 26. Lin has played in 64 NBA games and Dragic in 271. Lin learned from Baron Davis and Mike Bibby and Dragic from Steve Nash. But that is just my opinion.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...sum=0&p1=linje01&y1=2012&p2=dragigo01&y2=2012

8. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

I fail to understand how is ceiling is Dragic. Dragic is only marginally better than Lin at this point. His main advantage is him being a better defender. Lin is only 23 with minimum NBA experience. If your saying Lin will likely only be as good as Dragic that is fine but to say that is his ceiling is stupid.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

His defense is excellent. I would say it is average with the potential to be a lot better. He has a defensive mindset though. Meaning he values the importance of defense and wants your defense to fuel your offense.

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

I watched him play plenty of times. His defense is averagish and some even say its below average. He is good at getting steals but I have seen people blow by him plenty of times. He has gotten better though.

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Start watching then.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah. One of the things people don't remember was that he was playing on a team with Amare Stoudemire and Melo. Those guys aren't exactly defensive juggernauts. Way to many games where Amare's man would set a pick/screen on Lin and then the opposing pg would just blow by Amare. Under Woodson that all changed because the team was playing improved defense. Lin and Baron themselves said that the big men were being a lot more vocal. ie. Melo and Amare stopped being defensive liabilities/lazy defenders respectively. Also, Woodson was holding everyone accountable and Lin seemed to respond well to that.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Edit: Isn't excellent.

14. bongman

bongman Member

Just like any other job in this world, your credentials that got you that job, will not dictate how successful you will be. It is what you do once you get the job is what determines your place in that organization. Most, if not all players that enter the league has the upside of being a hall of famer. John Stockton, Steve Nash, Dennis Rodman are the ones that first come to my mind. You cannot measure potential by looking at just physical attributes or what they have done in the past. Anything can be achieved if you work hard enough.

15. thisiscaketown

Dragic's not a bad guy to be compared to, and I'd say both Dragic and Lin are capable of getting 20/8 with their current level of skill and experience. I would give the edge on defense to Lin if he improves his stamina, as he's a relentless ball hawk.

Barring the rise of younger star Point Guards, once Steve Nash retires and Tony Parker declines, I think both Lin and Dragic will have a chance of being chosen as All-Star reserves if they can maintain 20/8 throughout the season and help their team get to 8th or 9th seeding or better. Lin obviously has the edge over Dragic as far as All-Star voting goes, so if Lin does well, he'll probably be an All-Star starter with the votes from Asia.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Is that you Stephen A?

17. conquistador#11

what if I told you CPflop was a bad three point shooter his first couple of years?
    I think some poster has to go to lin's twitter and tell him to get off his arse, stop working on damned math equations, and get to the gym to shoot a billion three pointers. ha.

I think the holy trinity of gogi, ham and lin will all have stellar years. I'm excited about the upcoming season. Haven't been this excited since we got ron ron.

18. littletigers10

Jeremy is definitely some player only comes once in a decade.

He hardly played before this past season, so this past season basically= his rookie season. Obviously, he had the motivation and pressure to carry out his best as he was going to be cut again at knicks;
    with the perfect system for PG and the freedom coach D'A gave him on court, he definitely played at his best (@knicks) in February. (He was limited after melo got back.).
    After coach D'A left, media reported that 'he is down to the earth' since his stats went down, but the truth is, with melo and woodson running the show, Jeremy was greatly limited in March.

His stats went down just because he was limited and played less minutes:
    He took a lot less shots, since he tried his best to feed others instead of create his own shots; and he had quite some bad shots since he took shots only when he absolutely had to, such as clock running down, he had no where to pass etc.

With rockets and coach kevin, it will be a totally different story. With no limitations on court, we can definitely expect him to play the way he played this past February at least. Plus, he will definitely improve as time goes on. He is a hardworking and smart player. He uses his brain more than his skills to win games on court.

He will gain more experience and work even HARDER to improve his weaknesses. If we can't expect him to surpass his records he set this past February, we can expect him continue to play at that level if coach give him the freedom.

But, I believe his best season yet to come and houston rockets will have his BEST 3 years.

19. battousai

battousai Member

well, to me it doesnt matter what Lin can or cant do or what is his protentials. My concern is will he be able to play with guys present and future rockets in order to win a championship. No team is going to get 5 superstars at all 5 positions. Lin at this point is a poor man Tony Parker, or some would even considered him as a 3rd string PG. Regardless, if u were impressed or not so impressed by his short tenure with the Knicks, one thing for sure... Lin can play at NBA level and be a solid starter. Which is what he get pays for by the rockets.

20. littletigers10

Agree! His ceiling is NOT dragic. He played BETTER than dragic if only comparing stats (not mentioning making others better and the excitement he created)

Per 36 Minutes Last Season
    Pts Ast
    Jeremy Lin 19.6 8.3
    Kyle Lowry 16.0 7.4
    Goran Dragic 15.9 7.2