1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Being a great coach doesn't make you a great evaluator of talent. Brown is a massively overrated coach. He has won on championship in the ABA and has a career nba win record of less than 55%. I prefer the opinion of the GOAT PG.

3. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

"The biggest thing to me is how everybody missed it," Bryant said before the All-Star Game, via the New York Post. "They all would be fired if I was owning a team. I hear this stuff, 'It came out of nowhere.' I think it's a load of [garbage]. You can't play that well and just come out of nowhere. There has to be something there and everybody missed it. So heads would roll [if I was owner]."

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

You cant compare seven footers to small point guards. 7 footers that show at least some talent almost always get drafted.

5. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

Hello. A New Yorker here and I've watched pretty much every Lin game. As a self proclaimed Lin fan boy and a now Rockets follower (I'd be doing you guys an injustice if I said fan), I will say this. Contrary to many other fan boys, I'm not going to say he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He has potential and no one knows how high his ceiling is. But, I don't think anyone can deny that Lin can ball. Even when Woodson took over and Melo came back, Lin still had good numbers. So, he's not 100% a product of the D'antoni system.

The way I see it, he'll probably develop into a poor man's Tony Parker with some time. He has a lot of room to grow. His handle can be much better and he has to cut out those TOs. In the right offense, he'll probably be a border line all star calibre player.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. And hopefully your boards won't get overrun with Tim Tebow-esque Lin fans. They're annoying as heck.

cheers.

6. theaesirsfinest

Ethos appeal: I watched all of Linsanity due to being bored on a Saturday, looking up the Knicks vs. Nets game, and following the story till it petered off.

Positives:
    1) I dislike the term, but "clutch" fits him. He was active and successful in crunch time.
    2) He's oddly great at finishing through contact. Perhaps this was magnified by the bad defenses of some of the teams he played against, but he had quite a few and-1s during that stretch. He has a variety of shots too, like stopping in the lane for a pivot fadeaway, floaters, etc.
    3) I believe he got better at shooting as the games went on.
    4) Great PG influence on the team - made everybody pass more, hustle more, and so on.
    5) Good passer himself.

Negatives:
    1) Has trouble against smaller, stronger, faster PGs (i.e. the Heat PGs). The smaller aspect lets them get lower to the ground and poke the ball away. The stronger aspect lets them rough him up and knock him off his game. The faster part again lets them steal the ball from him more easily.
    2) Sometimes too foolhardy on his drives. One of the major causes of his TOs was when he literally ran into people, didn't get a call, and lost the ball.
    3) Now, I don't know if this was his fault and/or his teammates' fault, but he got freakin' destroyed on pick and roll defense. Way too often did he get blindsided by a screen. Could be due to his teammates not calling the screens or his own inexperience. Either way, fixable problem.
    4) Occasionally lets his guy score due to focusing too much on team defense. He's gotta find a balance. Otherwise, he's an acceptable man-on-man defender since PG defense is so dependent on team defensive schemes.
    5) Not black (kidding).

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Call me a racist or whatever, I don't see see being anything more than starter quality. I'm not saying its a bad thing,but how could every gm and scout miss 60 times? Not only that, it takes a learning approach to do 82 games night in and night out,not on occasion. I like his step and he's decisive, but his decision making on the move is not good. He's a below avg defender. He sticks to screens,get beat by quickness, and doesn't close on shooters. When under ball pressure,he picks up his dribble and makes bad decisions.

Look, I hope he plays well as a rockets fan since 78, but when I read some of thses post in this thread, I can't do anything but shake my head. Posters also know if I'm wrong,I will admit it too. Lin won't be the only reason the rockets might suck, but he will be part of it. When people used to say stat padder on a bad team, lin will fir right in. I mean mo williams was 20-8 before he got with lebron. Lin will be lucky to duplicate that as a player.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No team drafted him. Look at the draft and see how many picks are wasted on euro stashes or limited college players. I mea peterie koppen was drafted and he's a pg. Sergio lull whom we haven't brought over was a 2nd rd pick. No team drafted him now he has all star potential?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think most people would agree that any player that can average 14pts and 6 assists in the NBA for any stretch of time with that kind of media focus on his every move should have been a first round pick. Anyone that doesn't believe that has an agenda that's not related to evaluating talent.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, I think he started out as a SG in hs and was forced to evolve his game as a PG during college. Expectations as an elite PG in the wild wild West is a bit premature.

Lin has some weird upside. His success has definitely come from the training he's undergone during his rookie years, but how he adapts his game to his new body is anyone's guess.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Were these the same scouts that selected Kwame Brown. Or the same scouts that ignored Manu Ginobli who was a second round pick? He sticks to screens because his teammates were not being vocal and calling it out. Specifically Amare and his matador defense. Baron Davis and Lin pretty much said it in an interview that guys were communication a lot better on the defensive end under Woodson. And notice how under Woodson Lin's defense significantly improved. Coincidence maybe. Yes I have seen him get beat by quickness but his best defensive game was against Derrick Rose whose quickness makes him very hard to defend. Lin defended him the entire game and Rose scored 32 points on 28 shots approximately. You are right though he does need to work on his ball handles when under pressure. And yes the team will suck but they will develop together and go through growing pains together.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

He was a SG in college. The guy who played PG was older than him and couldn't play any other position. But even then the entire offense ran through Lin pretty much. He was more of a combo guard than a SG. He ran the pnr, passed, scored did pretty much everything for that team.

13. langal

langal Contributing Member

sometimes it's his teammate's fault. pay attention to Amare

[​IMG]

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

By that same logic, Lin had no business playing college basketball.

Is Lin overhyped and overpaid right now? Hell yes. Overrated? That is hard to say when so many people right still think he's a scrub.

15. M4-Nightvision

Jeremy Lin Knicks vs Branden Jenning Bucks 2012

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlkYuCcY-qk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlkYuCcY-qk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'm excited, can't wait what the Rockets are cooking this NBA season :D

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I watched this game. Never seen such bad pnr defense in my life. Parker went off. Amare doesn't open his mouth on the defensive end to communicate with his teammates. He pushes the other guy into Lin. Even the Spurs commentators said that Amare is leaving Lin out to dry with his matador defense.

17. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I'm another one who's watched Lin in almost every game with the Knicks............ It's amazing that those who have watched all Jeremy Lin's games have a much higher opinion of his defensive play than those who haven't watched him in full games....... I personally think amongst starting PGs, Lin's defense is maybe top five in the entire league. (His defensive points-per-possession also bears this out.) The only starting PG who I think is clearly better defensively is the Heat's Mario Chalmers. Who happens to be the only PG who shut down Lin last season.

18. M4-Nightvision

Amare was never known for his defense , but his defense did improve a little under mike woodson lol..:grin:

19. M4-Nightvision

I agree, JLin defense is pretty good. i hope he is 100% healthy.:grin:

20. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

It is rare Lin gets caught in a screen this bad..... He's one of the best in the business in evading screens........ Could be why Amare wasn't ready in that particular play.

Amare played most of last season with a bad back........ (When he's healthy, he's a decent defender. When hurt, he's awful.) The Knicks fans wanted to crucify him almost as much they wanted to crucify Carmelo Anthony.

Lin will draw a lot of "moving pick" fouls on the opposing screener. He'll also break up a lot of opposing "pick and roll" plays as well. He's almost as fun to watch defensively as he is to watch offensively.