ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Notes/Buzz on Nene, Hayes, Motiejunas and Team Direction
Tags:  basketball, chandler parsons, chuck hayes, clutchfans, donatas motiejunas, hasheem thabeet, houston, houston rockets, nba, nene Tags
Clutch is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1964/h...ck-hayes-nene/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
heypartner is online now Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Crazy reality about the lockout — Rockets players would occasionally call in to the office during the work stoppage, presumably to ask a question or something. Because of the strict lockout rules, the Rockets couldn’t even answer the phone. Caller ID says “Budinger, Chase”? Let it ring. Imagine that – one minute you’re being put up on a private plane and fed prime rib and the next you’re getting your calls screened and ignored (actually, that sounds like some relationships I know).
Haha. I love this kinda stuff. thx, Clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morey
“Morey confirmed that first round pick Donatas Motiejunas is going to remain in Europe this season. The original plan was for the seven-footer to join the Rockets this season, so it looks like this is a casualty of the lockout. Sergio Llull, the 34th pick of the 2009 NBA Draft, also will remain in Europe and could be a guard the Rockets bring on board in 2012.

Both of those decisions are ones that weren’t necessarily just ours,” said Morey. “Both of them are in two of the best leagues in the world outside of the NBA and the Euroleague. They’re getting great experience and at some point in the future we might bring them over.”
Uh oh. OHMSS is going to take this bait and get banned for derailing a Clutch thread. awesome.

Quote:
Remember — this is a guy that Morey’s computers say is responsible for 4-5 Rockets wins a year.
It takes more than one computer to run his stats. Why doesn't he upgrade to Watson?

knote32 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
knote32
Contributing Member
knote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jan 2006
Member: #16408
What makes you think Flynn is going to turn it around Clutch?

J.R. is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
J.R.
Contributing Member
J.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32628
Quote:
Speaking of Thabeet, I may have given up on the guy but the Rockets haven’t — not yet, anyway. They think the fact that he’s in a contract year could help, though they concede he did not have a good year of development last year (word used was “terrible”)
Terrible then, terrible now. Where is coachbadlee at? Haha

azoghbi is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
azoghbi
azoghbi is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18694
great article clutch, i can't tell you how much i appreciate condensing all of the actual, verified, and relevant rockets news into one well written article. much appreciated.

flamingdts is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
flamingdts
flamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereflamingdts is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30398
Quote:
Originally Posted by knote32 View Post
Unlike the other 2009 draft picks that we acquired, Flynn was actually a pretty decent rookie in his first year, after all he was voted in the NBA all-rookie second team.

Of all the 2009 players we acquired, Flynn in my opinion probably has the best chance of breaking out.

Granted, there were bad players like Adam Morrison as well in the rookie second team and it's definitely not an indication that Flynn will be a very good player, and also the fact that Flynn played for the Wolves.

Unfortunately there really isn't much room for Flynn with Lowry and Dragic, but I have higher hopes for him than T-Will, Thabeet etc.

Painting_Shade is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Painting_Shade
Contributing Member
Painting_Shade is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2005
Member: #16279
Quote:
“I think every player should go through that process of the minor leagues, like what we did with Patrick Patterson – and Marcus Morris might — but Motiejunas has a lot of ready-to-play qualities. He’s definitely been one of the top ten players in Europe to this point. I like that he’s getting more minutes there than he would get here, especially this year coming up. I think he’s averaging like 18 and 8 and translated, that’s (impressive). Scola averaged like 6 rebounds over there and he’s like near 8 or 9, so he’s been good.”
OHMSS inc

you don't think Flynn can turn it around?

Clutch is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
I'm not high on any of the four to be honest, but I like him the best. It's a new start with (frankly) a much better franchise -- I think there's potential there. Unfortunately, if it was a rank of playing time opportunity, he'd be ranked 4/4... so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoghbi View Post
great article clutch, i can't tell you how much i appreciate condensing all of the actual, verified, and relevant rockets news into one well written article. much appreciated.
No problem and thanks -- glad you find it useful.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

baller4life315 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13882
Thanks for the read, Clutch.

I'm a little curious as to why the Rockets seemingly consider Nene their only chance to make a free agent splash given that Gasol is younger and also available.

That said, I'm not much of a proponent for signing either really. Just curious as to why they're not considering Gasol as well.

dobro1229 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Quote:

I think One of Dragic or Flynn will def. be traded before or around Christmas. I think Morey would ideally like to use either Courtney Lee or TWill as the third string PG injury barring. At this point Dragic should have good value, both as an expiring contract and a solid PG for a team that can spare a late first or early 2nd round pick. Morey never lets expiring contracts go without getting something back in return.

Clutch is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Clutch
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller4life315 View Post
Thanks for the read, Clutch.

I'm a little curious as to why the Rockets seemingly consider Nene their only chance to make a free agent splash given that Gasol is younger and also available.

That said, I'm not much of a proponent for signing either really. Just curious as to why they're not considering Gasol as well.
Restricted free agent, I would guess. My understanding (and BimaThug can confirm this) is to sign Nene or any of these big $$ players this year, the Rockets would have to exercise their amnesty clause on Thabeet. To sign Gasol, you'd have to do that also, but the Grizzlies could then match, leaving you without your amnesty clause to hold on to (there's no need to exercise it on Thabeet).

If he's an option to the Rockets, then he would be an option under trades rather than free agency.

Rocketman95 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Rocketman95
Hangout Boy
Rocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldRocketman95 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #19
you should be the rockets beat writer.

i will absolutely hate purple in another uniform. it will hurt me a lot more than any other player in recent memory. he's a top-5 rocket for me.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
KEEP THE CHUCK HAYES ALIVE!! WE CANNOT LET HIM LEAVE!!!

If need be, lets amnesty or trade somebody for peanuts in order to keep Chuck.

baller4life315 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Restricted free agent, I would guess. My understanding (and BimaThug can confirm this) is to sign Nene or any of these big $$ players this year, the Rockets would have to exercise their amnesty clause on Thabeet. To sign Gasol, you'd have to do that also, but the Grizzlies could then match, leaving you without your amnesty clause to hold on to (there's no need to exercise it on Thabeet).

If he's an option to the Rockets, then he would be an option under trades rather than free agency.
Thanks for the explanation. That sounds plausible.

Granted, Morey seems pretty disciplined with regard to handing out contracts so one might question the need to preserve an amnesty clause he might not ever use, but I get the point that strategically it's ideal to have it (especially whenever you could end up losing for nothing -- all the while sacrificing a player you just mentioned management still has plans for, no less).

knote32 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
knote32
Contributing Member
knote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchknote32 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jan 2006
Member: #16408
Thanks Clutch.

I am holding out hope for Terrence Williams. He is one of the best perimeter defenders and rebounders on the team. I hope the new commitment to that side of the ball gives him a shot coming off the bench. He can be our own Tony Allen, with the additional ability to create for others.

I just love Flynn's attitude and demeanor. Very professional and Lowry-esque. I know he hasn't been the greatest shooter thus far in his career, but his form is damn near perfect. Just a beautiful stroke. I hope he can figure it out and cut his turnovers in half with some Lowry tutoring...

HMMMHMM is offline Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Great stuff as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Good point. I've never thought about it this way.

What I found interesting -- though I may just be reading too much into it -- is that Morey said on 610 today that they had to plan like "if we can do this trade, then we get this free agent" due to the compressed free agency period.

Obviously this could mean nothing, but I do think that the Rockets will look into trading Thabeet (for capspace, I presume) before using the amensty clause on him to sign a guy like Nene or Chandler.
Teams like the Kings that have a lot of cap space and will need to get to the Minimum Team Salary of 85% would appear to be logical trade partners.

ima_drummer2k is offline Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
ima_drummer2k
Contributing Member
ima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldima_drummer2k is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 2002
Member: #7523
Quote:
“We won’t do any moves that hurt the big picture. That will be our focus. We’d like to do moves that help both, but if it ever came down to it, which do we have to prioritize? It’s going to be positioning ourselves in the big picture versus the small picture.”
If true, this is a relief. Don't make the same mistakes the Astros made and try to rebuild in one year every year.

It could be hard to be a Rocket fan (as if we're not already used to it....) for the next few years, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

Last edited by your mom : Today at 12:33 AM.

Rivers is offline Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
Rivers
Rivers is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2011
Member: #49813
I like what he says about D-Mo:
Morey felt Motiejunas could have helped the Rockets and not just the team’s NBDL affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

“I think every player should go through that process of the minor leagues, like what we did with Patrick Patterson – and Marcus Morris might — but Motiejunas has a lot of ready-to-play qualities. He’s definitely been one of the top ten players in Europe to this point. I like that he’s getting more minutes there than he would get here, especially this year coming up. I think he’s averaging like 18 and 8 and translated, that’s (impressive). Scola averaged like 6 rebounds over there and he’s like near 8 or 9, so he’s been good.”

It's all true. Motiejunas could be big impact right away. Damn his contract!

Sooner423 is offline Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
Sooner423
Contributing Member
Sooner423 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSooner423 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSooner423 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3753
It will hurt me deeply if Chuck leaves.

makman is offline Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
makman
makman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5662
Were going to have to settle with a Dalembert type, Hayes will probably go, and we can expect a few minor trades here and there. I try to remain optimistic but unless someone is ready to elevate their game to the next level (star level) this is another lottery season.