ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Notes from Daryl Morey's Q&A with fans
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, dance, daryl morey, houston rockets, nba, trade, yao ming Tags
Clutch is offline Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1407/daryl-morey-qa/

I had a few private conversations before and after this session, and while I don't have anything to say that you probably didn't already know, I did come away with a stronger impression that the Rockets greatest strength going into the deadline is not their young "assets" but rather their willingness to absorb salary. I had my doubts before, but I could see Yao getting dealt if a good enough trade presents itself. So I think you have to focus on attendance numbers and financial bottom line, because the million dollar question remains -- what team is going to get desperate enough to sell the farm next week?

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
htownrox1 is online now Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
htownrox1
htownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #43851
Thanks Clutch! It seems that Morey, as usual, is hiding his hand. But this year it seems different. He pretty much admitted that this team needs a franchise superstar, and he's working hard to get one.

Last season, he wasn't as outright like he is this season. But of course the need is staring him in the eyes. I just hope we can pull off a good trade and not be screwed. A change is definitely needed...

Convictedstupid is offline Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Convictedstupid
Convictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boardsConvictedstupid is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32678
So Morey really likes Jimmer... Hmm

DaDakota is offline Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
That was an excellent piece, it made you feel like you were right in the room with him.

I am glad he is looking out for next year, I know we need a center, but there is no need to go out and get one if it costs too much when there are so many of them that will be unfettered as free agents.

Just a small list off the top of my head.

1. Tyson Chandler
2. Kendrick Perkins
3. Kyle Fesenko
4. DeAndre Jordan (restricted)
5. Nene Hilario (early opt out)

Just to name 5 that Morey could target in the offseason without giving up ANYTHING.

I would like to see him clear the log jam at the wing position, just to free up some time to get a player to take that leap he is looking for, it is hard to leap forward when playing time is parsed out so sparingly.

Got to be on the court to get better.

Great read, would love to hear what he said about the Jimmer, but understand leaving it out.

Thanks,

DD

xiki is offline Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch

I had a few private conversations before and after this session, and while I don't have anything to say that you probably didn't already know, I did come away with a stronger impression that the Rockets greatest strength going into the deadline is not their young "assets" but rather their willingness to absorb salary. I had my doubts before, but I could see Yao getting dealt if a good enough trade presents itself. So I think you have to focus on attendance numbers and financial bottom line, because the million dollar question remains -- what team is going to get desperate enough to sell the farm next week?

Sir, this is professional sports, the NBeffingA: the million dollar question

is more like a ten million dollar question or even fifty million dollar question.

00rocketgirl is offline Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
00rocketgirl
Contributing Member
00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here00rocketgirl is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45196
Thanks Clutch!

MrJason is offline Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
MrJason
MrJason is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch

Touche. I think that was reported in the CBS Sports report yesterday.

Quote:
Execs are monitoring the intentions of Houston, Portland and Utah -- all tax-paying teams that will be deciding whether to go deeper into the tax or pull back from it. Money is no object to the Rockets, as long as it makes them better
Gotta love Les and his trust in Morey!

And thanks for the Q&A Clutch!

OmegaSupreme is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
OmegaSupreme
Contributing Member
OmegaSupreme is James Harden -- racking up the pointsOmegaSupreme is James Harden -- racking up the pointsOmegaSupreme is James Harden -- racking up the pointsOmegaSupreme is James Harden -- racking up the pointsOmegaSupreme is James Harden -- racking up the pointsOmegaSupreme is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2003
Member: #11426
thx, clutch. adelman question was interesting.

Spacemoth is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Spacemoth
Contributing Member
Spacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchSpacemoth is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24898
I like that he's keeping his options open. One thing the Rockets haven't done is commit themselves to bad contracts. Right now all the other GM's in the league that have done that are being sourpusses about it; they might hate Daryl for his fiscal responsibility but come the trade deadline they're going to spit in his face while they trade us their all-stars/picks to get the Rockets to take those bad contracts off their hands.

rockets934life is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
Good stuff, thanks Clutch.

I could see Morey trying to acquire a young talent with major upside while taking on some money to make it happen.

Would Detroit move Greg Monroe if Morey took Hamilton's deal in the process? That would require a MAJOR shakeup but it would be the type of deal i'd see Morey doing.

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

Last edited by rockets934life; 02-17-2011 at 12:20 PM.

GATER is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
GATER
Contributing Member
GATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convictedstupid
So Morey really likes Jimmer... Hmm
They haven't drafted anyone yet (that wasn't shipped out as part of a trade) who was a college FR or SOPH. Once the Rockets are officially out of the playoffs, a gazillion threads/posts will be made about the upside of this guy or that guy. When the rubber meets the road, the $Balls favor JRs and SRs. Book it.

xiki is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATER
Once the Rockets are officially out of the playoffs
Feels pretty official to me I am ready to try and prepare for a good run starting with next season's tip-off.

J.R. is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
J.R.
Contributing Member
J.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32628
Thanks for posting/sharing! Some of those answers sound similar to the one's he gave this morning

GATER is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
GATER
Contributing Member
GATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiki
Feels pretty official to me I am ready to try and prepare for a good run starting with next season's tip-off.
With all of the Stats Geeks running around here...it's a bit to go before it's arithmatically "official".

anchel is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
anchel
anchel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsanchel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsanchel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsanchel is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44813
Thanks Clutch, very interesting.

About Kyle:

Quote:
He’s obviously been awesome. You could argue for a few guys for being our best player this year, I would say Kyle is probably #1, if I had to vote.”
Best last year, best this year. His opinion.

baller4life315 is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13882
Thanks for the read!

Knowing how Morey operates he'll probably find a way for us to absorb a nasty contract to acquire a solid player all the while making a couple moves on the side to lower us below the LT threshold.

chenjy9 is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
chenjy9
chenjy9 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donechenjy9 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donechenjy9 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donechenjy9 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donechenjy9 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donechenjy9 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35375
Well, with the exception of sub par shooting, Lowry is the complete package. He is a decent ball handler, a pretty good passer, solid defender, has a great nose for long rebounds, hustles constantly, is not a distraction, and has a great attitude. On a team full of defensive pasties and first and second years, it is not that farfetched. The importance of Lowry to our team was very painfully shown last year and this year, everyone else finally sees the Lowry that "Start Lowry over Brooks" minded posters have been seeing.

xiki is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
xiki
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATER
With all of the Stats Geeks running around here...it's a bit to go before it's arithmatically "official".
True, and correct. Yet I can not perceive that there could be a turn-a-round sufficient to make the p/o's, let alone advance.

I believe in the future; I am just not rosy on this season.

HMMMHMM is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Thanks .

The "We MUST TRADE FOR PICKS" front must feel relieved that's one of the options Morey's looking at.

anchel is offline Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
anchel
anchel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsanchel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsanchel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsanchel is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44813
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9
Well, with the exception of sub par shooting, Lowry is the complete package. He is a decent ball handler, a pretty good passer, solid defender, has a great nose for long rebounds, hustles constantly, is not a distraction, and has a great attitude. On a team full of defensive pasties and first and second years, it is not that farfetched. The importance of Lowry to our team was very painfully shown last year and this year, everyone else finally sees the Lowry that "Start Lowry over Brooks" minded posters have been seeing.
I recently voted Scola/Martin as our MVP for this season, but the next on my list is of course Kyle. Morey will keep saying good words about any Rockets player no matter his situation, weaknesses or true level... that's just his job. For example, he will keep with the "we are fans of Brooks" or "we loved Landry"... But in the end, the fact that he's picking Kyle as our MVP of last season AND the current season tells you a lot about how they are appraising our players. Not Martin or Luis, Kyle. They are definitely valuing properly (a lot) the defense, competitiveness, leadership... how a player responds at the most difficult situations. Good to know it.