1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Notes from Daryl Morey's Q&A with fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 17, 2011.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I read it completely differently. I think Adelman's rotation is in a holding pattern for Morey's sake until the deadline, trying to showcase some players and to not sacrifice any short-term wins to playing new guys so we can be within striking distance should Anthony come. Then here Morey offers up an excuse for Adelman's decisions. After the deadline, I expect the rotation will change a lot, partly because of who leaves and who comes, and partly to develop some of the young talent.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The rotation will have to change since there will be (likely) multiple in/multiple out. And it will be a good excuse to start over with a fresh new coach.

I don't know if Turner is the ultimate answer but I do believe he will get the opportunity; and I think he'll 'run with it'!

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's it for me - Morey Mancrushed.

4. worzel gummidge

[​IMG]

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good to see him say they are planning more for the future than going all in to make the playoffs this season.

its what i've been begging for since yao went down, and i think there is a growing number of people who have joined that band wagon with me.

the part about trading for a pick that can potentially be high was particularly appealing to me. brooks for the kings pick?

6. worzel gummidge

Does keeping Yao's contract allow the Rockets to take on 25% more plus use their TEs to absorb extra salary.

If they dealt Yao's contract, therefore without the insurance money, would they be looking at a deal or deals where they can get under the tax?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It may be a good excuse, but I still don't believe Morey is unhappy with Adelman. And, for Adelman's part, I think his prospects for his next gig will be better if he waits until the day after the season is over to quit.

Maybe if the Rockets were interested in giving Turner an audition for a possible permanent gig....

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Completely with you - I'd prefer it if we somehow kept Martin/Scola....but past that, I'm game for a major overhaul/rebuild.

If the Kings traded for Brooks, I can guarantee any pick coming back would be a second rounder. Especially with Evans on their roster.

Got to find that combination of (a) awful, (b) bloated payroll, (c) really bad contract.

I'd circle:
    Washington (Lewis, Hinrich)
    Philly (Brand...maybe playing himself out of poison status){also - probably won't be in the lottery...}

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If Morey ends up trading Brooks to the Kings, I can't imagine how pissed Demarcus Cousins will be after games.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I read'm my way, you read'm yours. I believe the 'divorce' will be handled in a clean way with no effect on either party. And yes, it gives ET a chance to prove his other worldliness as a head coach.

11. stmeph

stmeph Member

I was the guy that pestered Morey with a bunch of questions, and stuck around a bit after the photos to ask him a few more. Some of it is paraphrased:

You mentioned that we lost tonight's game because in part of their transition offense, but we also shot 10 free throws less than our average. A lot of Kevin Martin's game is based on free throws, and it seems like he goes more for the foul than the shot. Is that why we tend to play him less in the 4th, when referees are less likely to call those fouls? What's our best option when he's not getting calls like tonight?

DM: Rick will look at who is refereeing. I think of Kevin as more of a "weapon."​

Does Adelman use a lot of your statistics?

DM: Rick doesn't. Our defensive coaches do, but Rick thinks, rightly, that he's got a pretty good handle on offense.​

It's well-documented that Battier gets a stat sheet for his assignments before each game. Does anyone else get one?

DM: Sure: Courtney, Patrick, Chuck. (There was a 4th person, and I want to say it was Kyle, but I'm no longer 100% sure.)​

I would have asked way more if I could. Such a great opportunity. :(

At least he signed my hat. :cool:

3 people like this.
  12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting that, stmeph. You were sitting second row, first seat on the left side? I believe you asked Morey about Adelman's contract. If that was you, I think you did a good job with your questions -- they were certainly more in-depth and knowledgeable.

You can't draw that conclusion from anything I wrote. You got a 50-50 shot of guessing it, just as you did before the piece. :)

It wasn't that big of a deal... I'm just respecting what was asked of me.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yao's contract is growing more valuable by the hour.......

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That team may very well be the Nuggets. The curent proposed Melo deal does not get them below the luxury tax line. But if a team could absorb some more salary for them, say around another $4-$5 million, then they could be off the luxury tax roles.

Who could do that for them?

So, what if trading for Nene required us to take on Harrington's contract? Would you still do it?

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Turner is a good call. I think it is important that they keep a "Princeton" themed coach...

16. thejav

thejav Member

id morey doesn't deliver a dominant center in the next week i am officially off the bandwagon..no other spots need to be filled at this time..all other moves can be done in the off season..

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This league only has one dominant center, and I don't think Morey is going to get him next week.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a tough one, jopatmc. Harrington's contract is one I do not want at all -- the length is brutal. On the hook for nearly $8 million in 2015? Yikes. That's pretty risky when you consider that Nene can opt out in 4-5 months and sign elsewhere.

I'm "hoping" that the Rockets can get Nene in more of an assets type deal, then make a second contract-absorbing deal to get someone else. Granger was one I know for sure the Rockets had their eyes on, but sounds like the Pacers' play under their new coach is decreasing that chance. Fantasy, but I think someone proposed a Rashard Lewis+Wizards lotto pick type deal... paying Rashard $23+ million (what were the Magic thinking???) in 2013 is plain scary and a contract I suspect the Rockets would avoid (because it's huge and goes beyond 2012), but I'd love to get a lotto pick.

19. thejav

thejav Member

u know what i meant.. just get us a young center except for thabeet..not really high on that guy..

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I guess that could be LA's true test regarding LT territory. It's one thing to float around the boundary yet be in position to get below it at the deadline with some clever maneuvering like we've done in the past. It's a whole different ball game whenever one player will take up 1/3 of your payroll (pretty much making LT territory a certainty).

But yeah, sign me up. :cool: