1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Nets backing out on Carmelo: "It put us in the game there a little bit"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 20, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey:

5 people like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

LOL! DD faints!

4. Houston_Rockets

You tell me, if DM sounded like he is going for a Melo rental......

PeAcE

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

time to prepare the ipad......

1 person likes this.
  6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

It sounds to me like Morey is open for business and is ready to play some high stakes poker.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

By "in the game" he probably means the Rockets will find a way into a Melo to NY deal where they take on Anthony Randolph or Wilson Chandler.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Not at all. He's talking about having a crack it the real thing.

9. HMMMHMM

I don't want to open another Melo thread, since all those things are more or less connected, so I'll post this here.

Marc Stein brings up an interesting point regarding an NFL-style "franchise tag" provision, which might get included in the new CBA and would enable a team like the Rockets to keep Melo, even if he'd rather and go to New York.

Now I'm not sure you want to keep players against their will, even though putting a franchise tag on a player essentially isn't any different from matching the offersheet of a restricted free agents.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Nuggets-110120

10. Roxs-Redemption

@HmmmHmm

Don't you think Dallas have to many players [stars]? Then Dallas will be over-overrated :eek: ..similar to Heats last offseason

11. Rockets_4_life

I forgot where I read it, But I remember reading that the Clippers might go after Melo with a trade package of Al-Farouq Aminu(2010/8th pick), Chris Kaman, and Minny 2012 Unprotected pick...

And if true there's no way the rockets can match that package..

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I doubt LAC would give up a package like that....

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill Simmons/Marc Stein/ESPN

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

But are they willing to do it without an extension? THATS THE BIG QUESTION.

15. gah

gah Member

My favorite part, serves as a tranquilizer for this restless person.

16. Rockets_4_life

Okay I found it, sorry, it was speculation from a season-ticket holder, who is familiar with the organization..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Nuggets-110120

17. HMMMHMM

I'm not really sure what exactly your question is :) .

I don't think the Mavs have the assets to trade for Melo to be quite honest.

If they however somehow were to get a deal done they sure would be up there with the best of them.

18. Rockets_4_life

Okay... Chris Broussard of ESPN, was on TV earlier and said that sources told him that Melo is willing to go to NY this off-season without a sign and trade -saying that he can make up the money through endorsements-

Meaning if we trade for him, he could leave us with nothing in return....but cap space... not worth trading any of our young talent for IMO, if true...

19. Raven

Raven Member

I see what he did!

:grin:

20. gah

gah Member

I beg to differ, I think they do have enough assets for a non-extend and trade (“the Melo rental”) they have big expirings with Butler, Stevenson and Chandler (Tyson is going nowhere though) + promising stud in Beaubois + Multiple draft picks + Cash. Dallas is a scary darkhorse if the Nets stay out of the picture and the Knicks falter.

You have to like your chances if you are Cuban, they get back in contention yet again, and have everything in place to convince Melo to stay for good: Another top player and former MVP+ title-contending team with great winning basketball culture+ deep playoff run this year+ best money on the table with the maxed-out extension+ tax exempt state… Gee I feel overwhelmed now.