1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBSSPORTS: Rockets Could Be Facilitator in Melo Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This was in the dish but I thought it was Rocket relevant enough to put here as well.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26583993

I do not believe for one second would want Harrington for anything. But I think their might be some merit to us being a facilitator in this Anthony deal.

The immediate and most likely scenario would be us taking on Nets contracts to give them more room to add more players to suffice Anthony's desire to be competitive.

So your mission if you choose to accept it would be to determine what players the Rockets would trade for using their trade exceptions or expiring contracts of Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries or even assets like AB or Budinger and Lee. The difficulty is there are probably other teams involved but still the most likely our involvement would still be to take the Nets junk or not junk to give them room to take on more salary. For example we could take travis outlaw from the Nets and send AB and Jeffries to Denver and Denver adds chauncey Billups to the Nets. (bad example but you get the picture)

2. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I hope we get a damn center out of this

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I believe Smith and Harrington are just examples, not saying the Rox are targeting either. If Rox are going to use the DPE or T/E in this manner I can see them going after Birdman, dude is EXACTLY what we need. I can aslo see Nene as the other obvious choice and Morey being ready to take advantage.

4. Old Man Rock

I agree 100%. Birdman is a player I covet that could help us immediately. The problem is taking on Nuggets salary doesn't help the Nets to acquire more players since in all likelihood they will be recieving more than they send out.

Still I would do Birdman as a side deal if he is on the market. He is not the beast that Nene is but he is a veteran that brings a defensive toughness and shotblocking that we are sorely lacking. I might even rank him ahead of Varejao, who many love on this board.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ehhh Birdman next to our set of good looking clean players just doesn't look right.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Birdman would really help the rockets interior defense big time. In fact I could see Birdman starting alongside Scola, Battier, Martin and Brooks.

7. Old Man Rock

Okay their are some rumors floating around that Anthony wants billups to come along with him. There is no way this could begin to happen if the Nets don't dump Harris's salary to start. The problem is we don't have a te large enough to absorb that. SO we could ship Jeffries and ish and 1st round to make that happen. (I have an idea Denver may be ready to do a complete firehouse sale. Which means they want to dump so much salary to start all over if Anthony is gone) SO they want young assets and picks.

There is also the Toronto option. They have a humongous TE. We could Jeffries and AB over to Toronto. We get a larger TE and the Net send us Devin Harris. Just thoughts.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If he'd stay healthy, it would be worth it but given Birdman's past, he'll be sitting next to Yao.

But I do believe they will be involved in the Melo trade when it goes down. I believe it NYK or bust though. That's why I've been posting trades with NY/Rockets/Nuggets in the trade thread. I think it will happen before the year end. But I think they may wait until the 27th when a few more Nugget players can be traded.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If Billups goes with Anthony, the Hornets may as well put Chris Paul on the market now. And if Melo really wants Billups to go with hiim, then I think we can actually become players in acquiring the Melo/Billups package. Scola/Battier/Jeffries/Hill/Brooks/2011 pick swap/2011 Clips second rounder/future pick/ plus either Chuck's expiring or one of Courtney Lee or Terrance Williams is enough salary to do the deal, plus we can also take back additional salary in the form of our trade exceptions to help Denver get under the lux tax. Compare this package of talent and picks to New Jersey's trade. New Jersey's offer is like expirings plus Favors plus Golden State's 2011 pick (likely lottery) plus their own 2011 pick (possibly lottery but probably not lottery once Melo busts into New Jersey) plus 3 other likely lower first round picks.

Favors
    Golden State's 2012 first rounder (top 7 protected)
    New Jersey's 2011 first rounder (likely non-lottery if they acquire Melo)
    Lakers 2011 first rounder (bottom first round)
    Houston's 2012 first rounder (top 14 protected)
    plus a future first rounder (likely non-lottery)
    expiring contracts of Murphy, Humphrey, Sasha

versus
    Scola (quivalent of lower lottery selection, mid first-rounder)
    Battier (expring that Denver could extend)
    Jeffries (expiring)
    Brooks (very tradable for Denver) (another first round equivalent)
    Hill (lottery pick)
    the 2011 Knicks pick swap (very possibly lottery if Knicks fail)
    the 2012 Knicks pick
    plus a future first rounder (just like New Jersey's)
    plus either Lee or Chuck's expiring and Budinger

If you were Denver, which would you take?

#9 jopatmc, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  10. University Blue

A Martin / Harris backcourt would be exciting.

11. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Wow, if we get Birdmans energy in Houston, teams better fear us come playoff time!!! This guy is a beast when it comes to being agressive.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

'Birdman' is a tool, I don't want his punk ass (or for that matter, JR Smith) on our team.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wins > Team Image.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LuaP-MGFu1U" frameborder="0"></iframe>

15. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Birdman is EXACTLY the type of big man that we need...

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They already have been a facilitator in the Melo deal by dealing a first round pick to the Nets in the Terrence Williams deal.

I still believe Morey and the Rockets have invested interest into seeing that Melo-

A. Does not end up with the Knicks

and-

B. Does not end up strengthening a division rival.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

an injured one???

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

An injury prone one?

19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

all this b-llsh-t distractions cos one guy decides he wants to leave a pretty good team to go play somewhere closer to NEW YORK. not cos he wants to go to a good team to win a championship, he just wants to go to ny. f-ck melo. at least lebron's talents warranted his asinine behaviour.

20. Old Man Rock

I have a feeling Morey is playing a big role in all of this dealing. I don't mean he is calling trying to see how we can benefit. But he really is acting like a facilitator.

There isn't another that has the staff to crunch numbers and contracts like the Rockets. I could see Anthony tell the Nets, "I don't want to be a part of a losing team". If I am going to come over I need to see a future". ANd Moreys on the phone with the Nets saying look if you send us Harris and this guy we can absorb those contract and sent Denver these assets and toronto these asssets and you can also have room to get this guy fromm this team. SO your starting five is this and this. ANd then they present it to Anthony he says yeah that's a start. So then Morey says well we can addthis guy and this other team will throw in this guy but you have to throw a first over to this other team.