1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBSSPORTS: Rockets Could Be Facilitator in Melo Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I told you it was insured. (somewhere!)

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You did good sir, that was the first thing I thought about....ooooh, I am going to hear from Deckard.

You were right......

I hope Les lets DM trade the contract though, I mean for a team that wants cap relief, that contrct is GOLD !

DD

3. Happii

Happii Member

We are not going to acquire Melo end of story. Only if Melo would sign an extension(which he would only if he were to go to NYC or NJ) we would accept him. If he doesn't, why trade all of your assets for a rental...

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That's a might big contract too. I thought before though injured players can't be traded, but i guess the player and the contract is two different thing. And Carter was just traded too which will need surgery. Man that contract is gold.

5. Asian Sensation

Agreed 100%

He would be a big part of the rotation and I don't think he'd stunt Lowry or Brooks' development (granted 1 of them are traded) because of the combo's you can throw out there with him.

Worst case scenario Harris would be another nice asset added to the team that you could use as part of a bigger trade down the line.

6. Happii

Happii Member

This is actually a pretty good trade deal. The Nets get their beloved Melo, Rox get a long awaited center and SF, Bobcats receive the PG they were searching for and the Nuggets receive a pretty solid group to rebuild on and also some picks along with it. Everyone goes home pretty happy on this trade.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

People are way overrating Birdman. He gets some blocks and maybe a few more rebounds than average, but he has nothing else. Not as good as Chuck Hayes.

8. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Thank you, sir. I thought it was a pretty good trade myself. :grin:

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Thats exactly how I see it.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Les won't risk Yao playing somewhere else, even if all he ever does is suit up and rot on the bench for his new team.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree, but hat would be completely contradictory to what Morey said about Yao in the SI article.

Maybe Morey will get Yao to agree to get traded for the good of the team and sign right back with the Rockets after his deal is up. ;)

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Wow, if we can get him for cheap, BIRDMAN would be great!!!

13. jump shooter

Their actually different defenders. Chucks real value to the team is coming off the bench in situational type scenarios for defensive matchups. Chuck is not a rim protector and at 6'6 with no hops, he never will be. Chuck is an insanely intelligent defender and is extremely valuable to the team especially with the small size of his contract.

14. jump shooter

Agree 1000%.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting. The question is, what piece does Daryl want, and is it likely that he just wants an asset to flip? The Nets will have atleast 36 million coming in If Billups, Melo and Harrington go to the Nets. I have a feeling that we are in this deal. What does Daryl want?

My guess is that Devin Harris will be our starting PG very, very soon.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Nene is a strong Center but only considered only as a moderately good one.
    Not good enough to play the traditional Center which the Rockets needs. :p

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I wonder if the team trading for Yao can then cut him, and still get the insurance money? Probably not likely. If so though, the deal could be yao's contract and his insurance money, then he gets cut to sign back with the Rockets. The team trading gets huuuge relief essentially, Yao gets another mil or 2 for his consent to go along with trade and then sign back with us, and Rockets get a player....like I said, I doubt it works like this, but this is likely the only scenario Rockets trade Yao, I don't see Les agreeing to trade him otherwise... :(

18. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Not sure Bobcats want 5 PGs on their roster nor would the Nuggets want 11 forwards on theirs. This just seems like a good trade deal for the Nets and Rockets so methinks (and hopes) that the Bobcats would not two PGs and Damion James for GW and UPS.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am still trying to wrap my head around what part we would play in this. We arent really in a position to absorb salary w/o taking atleast 10+ million in tax consequences. Add in whatever the sweetner salary is and we are looking at a lot of money spent.

Maybe Bima could throw out a hypothetical.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You don't want Devin Harris. He's an above-average point guard, but he's not elite or great by any stretch of the imagination. He also has trouble staying healthy. For his price tag, he doesn't give you much more than Lowry does.

What would be interesting is if we used our trade exception to take back a long contract.. and asked for our 2012 1st rounder back as compensation. This would still leave NJ with 3 first round picks to deal with Favors and it would give us more flexibility in offering 1st rounders in future deals.