1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBSSPORTS: Rockets Could Be Facilitator in Melo Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 22, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Nene is the one he wants to come with him to nj. I can all but guarantee anyone on this board the rockets are not going to take salary without salary going out. If the get in on this deal, it will be to get them under the tax which is smart to me.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is Harris really all that better than Brooks? If he comes over here he'll want to start. I would rather develop Lowry.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree with this. So, if Melo goes to Nets, they are likely a playoff team in the East this season, since they are really only about 4 games out now. So, that increases the odds of the Knicks pick turning into a lottery selection.

Morey is holding a lot of keys here. He's got the keys to both New Jersey and New York. Not to mention a ton of options to go a number of different directions with other trades.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's overrated in my opinion. Lowry is easily outplaying him right now.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

"The notion of Anthony going to a contender -- or to the Nets, for that matter -- without signing his three-year, $65 million extension is exactly what New York Knicks officials are hoping for. "

It would amaze me if Anthony doesn't force a trade and sign a three year extension. With the CBA in limbo, he is easily risking 10 million dollars.

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

You could play Brooks/Lowry or Lowry/Harris together. I'd like to see Brooks be a spark-plug off the bench. You could even play Harris/Martin together. What ever the case is, Morey has a lot to work with. Harris is a bigger guard who also plays a little defense. He'd match up against Williams, Kidd of the world much better.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I actually like Harris but I agree that Lowry should be developed. He has shown me enough to have confidence that, with minutes, he can develop into the ideal PGuard for this team.

I can see Charlotte being involved in this, they love Harris and apparently aren't happy with DJ. Not sure if Morey has talked to Charlotte about AB and possibly what it would take to get Wallace out of there but there is another possibility.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

If Harris is a target, what will they do with Lee and Budinger or Williams. To me they'd have to be included in any deal especially Budinger.

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From everything I've read, Charlotte is ready to blow up that team. They have a lot of money tied up with to many guys. I think you'll see them try and get rid of a few contracts come the trading deadline.

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah it is pretty funny watching a non-superstar and perennial loser demanding trades.

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Harris. I was really big on him two years ago but he has health issues. When healthy though, he can be deadly PG because of his size and his speed.

I don't see Houston going after Harris. I think Morey has already made his mind up on keeping one of our PG's that we have right now. I can't see us keeping both Brooks and Lowry with Brooks looking to get paid come next year.

I like both guys because they bring something different to the plate. AB's outside shooting is a very deadly weapon to have but I think he lacks composure when the team is losing. He gets to frustrated and it showed in the Golden State game on Monday. Although I know he's coming back from injury, you have to show more poise then what AB has shown me this year.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yea, that team is close to quitting on Brown, Wallace and SJax are history pretty soon I think. Personally, would love Morey to look into Wallace using AB and some expiring contracts like JJ and Shane.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Harrington and Anderson have to be the main dump targets for the Nuggets - Martin and Smith are expiring, so why bother. Maybe Smith for a TE (cash him in early for tax reasons)....but I don't believe our Ariza TE is the $6.3M the article quoted, pretty sure it's $4.9M (Ariza MAKES $6.3M, and Lee $1.4M)

Can't combine TEs. The Yao exception would be $5.8M.

No sense in switching out JR Smith's expiring for a Jared Jeffries expiring. Only makes sense if he's swapped for a worthwhile player....and I don't see sense in moving a young guy for an expiring deal when we aren't getting significantly under the cap anyway and it's clear that we aren't luring elite franchise FAs to town.

I'd be happy about bringing in Anderson for the Ariza exception. Reasonable deal, brings a lot of hustle and passion at the F/C position.

I'd be iffy about bringing in Harrington for the Yao exception. Not an atrocious deal, but overpaid with too many years on it (30 years old). I question his desire and focus. He can explode on a team for 30, and then go AWOL for a few games. In the absolute best case, he replaces Landry for us, but there's not a lot of minutes for him unless he and Scola find a way to be on the court together. If we take on his deal, I definitely want to see a good pick come our way.

14. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

I've been saying for a couple of years that we should get Birdman, the dude is all energy, great inside pressence, tough guy (in a certain sense). He could instantly help our team out down low, and anyway to get rid of Jeffries I'm all for, Birdman could even start a few games, depending on the opponent that is.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We used an older TE to pick up Lee, I believe, so that we did in fact receive a full $6.3 million TE for Ariza. If we take J.R. Smith off Denver's hands using the TE, that saves Denver $6 million in luxury tax, while costing us $6 million in luxury tax. So we should get a huge asset in return for essentially writing a $6 million check to Denver.

The article mentions that Dallas might have to trade Tyson Chandler to get the deal done (i.e. to match Melo's salary). I would love to see him flipped to Houston as part of a three way trade. I think he would fit in perfectly with our biggest need, protecting the paint for our defensively-challenged starters, while being the recipient of an alley oop or two per game.

16. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Agreed. I think the player we'll take on will be a bad contract compensated by assets, with Harrington being my first guess.

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Remember Morey was after Butler last season and Chandler this past off season.

18. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

My main concern right is how DM will get us a Center..

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe we absorbed Lee with another TE and "then" sent Ariza to New Orleans, even though, for all intents and purposes, the trade was simultaneous. So I believe the Ariza TE is actually the full $6.3 million.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I strongly dislike Birdman and do not want to see him on the Rockets.

Same goes for J.R. Smith.