1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopsworld Article]NBA PM: Best Trade Ever? (Scola from Spurs)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Sep 7, 2010.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

NBA PM: Best Trade Ever?

By: Yannis Koutroupis Last Updated: 9/7/10 5:20 PM ET

Scola Rubs Salt On The Wound: The San Antonio Spurs typically don't find themselves on the losing side of deals. They've been one of the league's most dominant teams over the past 10 years largely in part to their front office's brilliance and patience. They've managed to win four championships since 1999 all while staying under the luxury tax and making minor tweaks rather than major moves. Limiting spending is a philosophy that has held a lot of franchises back, but rarely affected the Spurs until 2007 when they dealt Luis Scola, the best power forward not in the NBA at the time, to the Houston Rockets. Back then it was something that the Spurs looked at as necessary, but it's something that they really regret now.

After years of failing to reach a buyout agreement with Scola's club overseas the Spurs gave up on trying to add him to the team. They felt with the roster they had in place, which featured a newly re-signed Matt Bonner and Fabricio Oberto along with Ian Mahinmi, that there wasn't room for Scola or forward Jackie Butler. So they traded them to Houston for Vassilis Spanoulis and a second round pick that eventually turned into France's Nando De Colo, who averaged eight points and two assists in the World Championships.

"As an organization we felt responsible to let Luis pursue his dream of the NBA and this was the best opportunity to realize his value," said Buford back in 2007. "With our roster intact it would appear unlikely that neither Butler nor Scola would impact our rotation."

Count that as one of the rare instances where Buford was dead wrong because since finally making his way to the NBA in 2007 Scola has been flat-out productive. Meanwhile De Colo and Spanoulis haven't played a game in the NBA. Scola has yet to miss a game and has steadily improved each and every year. He averaged a career best 16 points and eight rebounds last season and has carried over his strong play to the FIBA World Championships.

Earlier today there was a matchup between Argentina and Brazil that greatly intrigued the Spurs and their fan base. It featured Scola taking on Tiago Splitter, who will be making his NBA debut with San Antonio this season after being drafted by them in 2007. Drafting Splitter also factored into the Spurs decision to trade Scola, so a strong performance by him would have helped ease the pain.

Over the years Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich has made no secret about his anger over how things played out with Scola. He once said that it made him so upset that he wanted to spit and he probably felt just as fired up today after watching the show that Scola put on.

Scola continued on his tournament-MVP pace with 37 points, nine rebounds, and three assists. Splitter put forth 10 points and five rebounds himself, but it was very clear as to who the superior player was. Splitter will ultimately determine his worth to the Spurs during the regular season, but fantasies about how great Scola could have been as Spur live on. He had 14 points in the fourth quarter to help lead Argentina past Brazil, further cementing himself as the best player in the tournament.

While San Antonio thinks about what could have been the Rockets are sitting pretty with one of the best power forwards in the league that they got for an absolute steal. Coach Popovich suggested forming a trade committee that could veto lopsided deals when the Memphis Grizzlies traded All-Star power forward Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers. But in that deal Memphis landed Marc Gasol who has developed into a very solid starting center and the cap space to trade for Zach Randolph, who had an All-Star year for them in 09-10. All the Spurs got for Scola, an ideal player to put alongside Tim Duncan inside, was some cash and two players who will never see the court with Duncan. Looking back there's no question which deal was more uneven and today just helped further illustrate that.

What do you think of the Luis Scola trade now that a few years have past? Did Houston pull off one of the best deals in league history when they acquired him? Leave your thoughts below!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17268

2. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Steal of the decade.

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Best. Trade. Ever.

Great, no doubt. I don't know about best ever. I'm kind of partial to the one that landed us Clyde.

5. shutkip

shutkip Member

It was a great trade, but I don't know about steal because Thorpe was a former All-Star and left us without a starting power forward. IIRC, that was why we moved Horry to PF that year.

Not to say, I'm glad we won that championship :) .

6. pge71188

pge71188 Member

David Robinson must be rolling in his grave.

7. Da Dream

Da Dream Member

"Meanwhile De Colo and Spanoulis haven't played a game in the NBA."

really? wrong!

8. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that the Dirk trade is one of the more lopsided trades as of recent memory. Dirk, minus the fact that he whines a lot and chokes when it counts, is one of the best PFs of the decade.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Bottom line.

[​IMG]

10. uchlha

uchlha Member

Pretty sure he meant since the trade went down.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Never has this pic been more apropos.

1 person likes this.
  12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yea, agree, OT was a VERY important player for the Rox and I am sure it was a very difficult move to make but also necessary.

I still remember Pop being really pissed after that game in SA two years ago when Scola went off. Great trade for the Rox and one that can be looked upon as a turning point for the franchise.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

wooohooo go luis, wreck on those chumps, i love anything that makes the spurs look bad. i pray we win a championship with luis so I can throw it in my friends faces that are spurs fans.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Even though Pro-Rockets; I'm still not a fan of Poopsworld articles.

15. dartherus

dartherus Member

The difference was that Scola was so PROVEN in europe and FIBA tournamnets, had great tournaments and great games since junior competitions, playing against current NBA stars who were top draft prospects in their time.....

People in such a stubborn way denied him a chance that he would translate such success into NBA, even in the Rockets, he would be denied minutes, only after Landry trade he got enough minutes and showed a 20/10 performance, despite Brooks and Ariza hogging the ball....

The point is that Scola is capable of so much, not just scoring, but also intangibles and leadership....perhaps his so extreme team awareness is what prevent him from erupting into beast mode more often....if the coach tells him to start off the bench or take less shots, he would accept it for the sake of the team....

It happened even in Europe, when he was the superstar and captain of the team, it happened in the Argentinian NT...

It's good for the team such attitude of accepting a minor role, but it confuses some fans into thinking that he's less capable, only because he takes less shots or accepts minor roles if needed.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sounds like the guy who wrote this got back from work saw the box score from the game and had to write something, anything about Luis.

17. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Abosalutely, scola is literally a beast, that's it.... you can't deny it....

18. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

I was actually surprised that it wasn't a Bill Ingram article.

19. Raven

Raven Member

My favorite Rocket.

;)

20. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

I think he meant after that trade happened.