1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopsworld Article]NBA PM: Best Trade Ever? (Scola from Spurs)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I thought the Kobe trade from Charlotte was one of the worst trade ever. Scola trade is also the worst...you just never know the future. Some can predict the future talents like Morey....

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Scola is a heck of a human.

3. 2rings

2rings Member

The article didn't mention the best part - not only was it a very lopsided trade, it was with an inter-divisional rival! Making it all the better and all the more improbable; likely Morey's finest hour

4. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Ha!Ha!Ha! The Rockets got the last laugh when Spurs traded Scola for Spanoullis! Greatest trade ever!!

5. Dei

Dei Member

No. You start the 5 that best play together. We've had sixth-men who were better than the starters because they were more productive that way - mostly scorers who carried the offense when the scorers in the starting 5 sat out; which can be the case with Scola.

And, honestly, I think Chuck complements Yao better. I still think his performance in 06, complementing Yao was superior to any of Luis' years doing the same. He weaves around for rebounds, keeps people out and does the dirty work better.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I recall my feeling at the time was that their must be some down side to this Scola guy that we dont know about for SA to let us have him so easily. And while SA did a very humanitarian thing by letting him play somewhere else in the NBA, since he couldnt crack their rotation, it also seemed odd they would do this kind of deal with a division rival.

I dont know if this was the "Best trade ever", or anything like that, but it certainly rankes as one of Houston's better ones. Without question, Scola turned out to be better than SA ever thought, and perhaps better than even Houston anticipated at the time also.

7. Francis 4 ever

not even close...

kobe for vlade- 5 rings
    tractor traylor for dirk- MVP, finals appearance.

even the heat trading for shaq got them a ring

randy foye for brandon roye

scottie pippen for polynice

kareem for scrubs

barkely for horneck

moses for scrubs.

as much as i like scola (he is my favorite player) he isn't a blip on the radar of the most one sided trades

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Spurs were ahead of everybody else about 10 years ago. Not anymore. Almost every team is scouting overseas nowadays. The pick-and-stash strategy is also picked up by a lot of teams. This is why overseas players are drafted higher and higher now. No way you can still get a Ginobili or a Scola in the second round.

9. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

We didn't deny the Spurs contender status. They have been contenders for the past decade. Scola never even played a game in a Spurs outfit so we don't even know what impact he would have on that team.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think it ranks second to the Celtics getting parish and the 3rd overall pick(McHale) for the first overall(Joe Carroll)