1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Breaking Down the Rockets Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

do you mean 2008 playoffs? great article clutch.

3. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

game-winning block in Game 3 of the 1998 NBA playoffs?

Quick edit Clutch... article is excellent otherwise.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Recruiting the beat writer? i sincerely hope that you are overselling that, and that's not the complete truth, because that's just bad, shady business and an easy way to get blackballed from future trades.

I love the trade just as much as the next guy, but, as the saying goes "you can sheer a sheep many times, but skin him only once".

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Great article/write-up and another good photoshop of Martin. Well done Clutch. Thanks

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Great write up Clutch. I love the breakdown how the trade went down. Morey is someone you do not want to play poker with.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Clutch,

Great, specific analysis. What you wrote is different than what I've read by the beat writers and others on this board. It really puts the trade into perspective.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about Kevin's health, but I think in a better environment, things can change.

Hilton Armstrong is the piece that excites me right now. I think he's an undiscovered talent that has been overlooked. RA may give him his chance.

Also, Jeffries is a solid player, as you wrote. He starts for Knicks and plays with defensive efficiency, but is, like you wrote, disgustingly overpaid.

I'm excited for the playoff push, which starts tonight!!

1 person likes this.
  8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I am so ready for th rest of this season and the offseason because I have the feeling that the puzzle is coming together now. Morey is going to drop a bomb in the offseason in the form of Bosh, Amar'e or a mystery guy who knows with Dork Elvis.

9. worzel gummidge

Package those NY picks in a trade on draft night (safest option), or agree to a deal on July 1st (safe option), or hold onto them (playing dice in an alley)?

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

bullardfan, The Veeg -- thanks for the heads up. I'm getting old if I'm typing 1998 to mean 2008. :)

cardpire -- I changed the wording to more reflect my meaning.

11. worzel gummidge

On second thoughts a July 1st agreement might not be that safe. All it would take s a premiere free agent to agree with the Knicks on that day. Those picks go from being worth a potential franchise player to $3M cash considerations, ie if they can find a buyer for a low pick.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So Scola was offered instead of Landry at first. I just never heard it from Morey outright, prolly never will since Morey is PR conscious about that stuff.

Clutch, do you know the worst case scenario of those Knicks draft picks? Like if the Knicks get the #1 pick in 2011 and are in the top 5 in 2012? Are the picks pushed back a year or is it forfeiture of the rights? And if they are pushed back a year are the stipulations the same or removed?

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

PHX may trade Amare for less than the picks though. I think Toronto is going to want too much.

14. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

TC = SCAM COMPETE

15. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Regardless of where the draft picks end up being, this was still a great hall. Morey is extremely good at what he does, evaluating talent, getting what he wants out of a deal and the bluffing that goes along with it.

Clutch, was the proposed Amare deal our proposal or theirs?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think like most of us I hate losing Landry, but he does remind me quite a bit of another high energy, undersized, fan favorite power forward we sent to Sac Town... Kenny Thomas. I love Landry's play, but I believe we got out at the perfect time.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So, the sign and trade option is the preferred route because the Free Agent player can secure the highest max contract from his own team before being traded?

But wouldn't we still need to match salaries in that trade? meaning we would have to gut the entire roster to get Bosh? We would have Bosh at the super max and Yao at the max, Kev-mart at $10 million and 12 what? league minimums?

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also it is good for the team trading him as they get something back in return instead of the player just walking away.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My feeling all along has been that Morey wants Bosh and he has placed this franchise in an excellent position to get him this summer. We have draft picks, talent stacked overseas, some expirers (Jeffries, Battier, etc) that would probably worked for Toronto if Bosh decides to leave.

We are definitely in for an interesting summer. Imagine getting Bosh and also retaining Luis and Kyle, definitely instant championship contenders.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't know if I agree with you assessment as undiscovered talent. But the Rockets may have no choice but to give him a shot at backing up Hayes. All of the big men off of the bench outside of Jeffries are foul machines including Armstrong.