1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Breaking Down the Rockets Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2010.

1. worzel gummidge

It appears they didn't structure it to get a TE out of Rodriguez.

Knicks don't hold any draft rights and Kings only have the rights to Bodiroga who they might have too much respect for to deal him as a junk asset.

2. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

This summer it is going to be Battier + Scola + Jeffries + our 2011 1st (comes with Knicks switch option) + NY 2012 1st for Chris Bosh.

Why we do it: We get a legitimate superstar and deny other teams the possibility to get him.

Why Toronto does it: Finally get some defense and defensive leadership on that team in Battier. Get another international guy in Scola who still has many effective years ahead of him to help offset their loss at the PF spot. Jeffries is just an expiring contract to them, but he might help instill a defensive mindset along with Battier. They get 2 1st round picks which are immediately more valuable because they probably just screwed the Knicks out of getting top tier free agents in 2010. Thus, the Knicks will suck, but probably not enough with D'Antoni pushing the pace to get a top 5 pick.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The only part you left out was sign and trade. Toronto would need to do that with Bosh and we'd do it with Scola. Would hate to lose both picks, but we're talking about Bosh. Anyway, a possibilty.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This is seriously probably the best piece I've read from you clutch. The Rockets future is as bright as it has been in very long time IMO. I'm looking forward to watching the team in the final stretch, playoffs or not this has been an intersting and fun season. I have to admit though, I'm really looking forward to the offseason because I truly believe Morey will land one of the big name free agents and the Rockets will be contenders once again.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Great writeup on a trade that will go down as the pivotal event that turned around this franchise.

I'd like to note, for the record, that I had the same thought before Clutch's excellent write up...

If we go after bosh with the NY picks, Toronto has to know that shipping bosh to us increases the value of the very draft picks that they are to get in the S&T. See this thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=182412&page=1

Could it be that the Rockets use the very assets that NY sent to us (Jefferies and NY''s picks) as the centerpiece of a deal that robs them of the max FA they seek?

It would be like those moments in movies where the horrible ironic truth is revealed, and the villian's face goes from joy to anguish, and the camera zooms in to see Donnie Walsh go

"NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"

or

"What have I doneeeeeee?????????????????????"

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Well, on the Kings trade, Houston sent out $3.9 million and received back $13 million, leaving $9.1 million for which they would have had to use a TPE. It is not clear that this came out of the $14.4 million TPE they received for the deal with NY. They would have obviously had to do the NY trade as non-simultaneous if they needed the TPE for the Sac deal. Do you know if such info is listed anywhere for the general public?

Actually, I don't consider nba.com authoritative for the way the trades are broken down. If nba.com reports a 2-for-2 deal, it might very well have been 2 separate deals, using different exceptions for each one. I reference nba.com because I don't see anything better.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can you just imagine the reaction in New York if James/Wade are off the table? Clearly, you can. Brutal!

8. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

this should be a stick

9. Rileydog

It will be interesting if we wait until after Lebron and Wade decide. Obviously, the value of the NY picks would diminish if Lebron signs with NY.

But if we wait it out and Lebron and Wade decide to stay with their teams, there's a great chance that just the 2011 swap rights or the 2012 pick would be enough to land Bosh (with other players to be included).

The possibilities are mind boggling.

10. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Darn good article. It will be a lot of fun going into next season, and some of the off-season variables could make it a tremendously interesting time for the team and fans. I'm excited to see what the last of this season holds for us and what kind of momentum we can bring into next year.

11. AB423

AB423 Member

I was just thinking about Kevin Martin's shooting mechanics and was wondering if he were to take a last second shot would he be able to shot over defenders with long wingspans since it seems that he shoots in front of his face instead of shooting over his head?

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree. Considering how much fun the deadline was this season, can you imagine what this summer's going to be like? Off the hook!

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Clutch, thanks for a succint but complete write up on what transpired. What Morey did was absolutely fantastic, and could be just what this franchise needed to perhaps become elite again (one more move for a star PF needed IMO).

I am sending $20 to the tip jar for doubting Morey as part of my atonement.

Glad to be eating crow.

14. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

exceptional writeup clutch. Love the read, informative and exciting at the same time.

The thought that we have assets to trade for Bosh is exciting, infact the whole Rockets scenario/situation Morey has put them in is exciting both now and in the offseason. Morey deserves more money.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Knicks would have needed a $23m trade exception to do what you're suggesting (which they obviously did not have).

Simplify it into what is incoming and what is outgoing for the Rockets:

Incoming:
    Kevin Martin ($10.2)
    Jared Jeffries ($6.5)
    Jordan Hill ($2.5)
    Hilton Armstrong ($2.8)
    Picks ($0)

Outgoing:
    McGrady ($23.2)
    Landry ($3.0)
    Dorsey ($0.9)

In one transaction, we moved McGrady for Martin, Jeffries, Hill, and Armstrong (combined $22m is actually less than McGrady's salary).

In 2 more transactions, we traded Landry for "nothing" and Dorsey for "nothing". Net result, we have a ~3.1m trade exception for Landry and a ~1.0m trade exception for Dorsey.

1 person likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Or how about if their next target, Bosh, signs with the Rockets? This is the master plan. :)

17. Rileydog

All of this was made possible because Les Alexander had the brains to hire Morey and Morey was astute enough to pick Carl Landry (over the vociferous objections of Clutchfans that wanted Big Baby)

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The only problem with your scenario is that, the key factors in whether Bosh/Wade or Lebron comes to the Rockets is not what sign and trade/expiring and draft pieces the Rockets have to offer, in fact they are at best secondary factors and at worst irrelevant. The only factor is where Wade/Bosh/lebron want to play, not who toronto/miami or clevland thinks they can get the most back from if they had to do a sign and trade for any of them.

The only way the Rockets become players in a sign and trade for Lebron etal is IF and ONLY IF they express to their team that they would ONLY want to go to the rockets and threaten to either sign for the MLE or sign outright with their secondary (if they are refused a sign and trade with the rockets) team thereby depriving their original team with any assets. For example lebrons informs Ferry he wants to go to the Rockets... Ferry says no, wants him to resign... Lebron's only option now is to either sign with the rockets for the mle or resgin with cleveland or sign with another team with cap space.

Either way it is an unlikely scenario that he can either force a sign and trade with an over the cap team or ends up with the rockets. But if even if it were, to happen, (say lebron forces the cavs to sign and trade him to a team thats over the cap, say the spurs) the amount of asset the team has is irrelevant. If lebron says, either sign and trade me to them or I'll walk leaving you with nothing... the Cavs can either call his bluff and let him walk or capitulate. In the end its all dependent on the player deciding where he wants to go.

20. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Absolutely...when I mention "momentum" going into next year, I mean that as much in terms of "fan enthusiasm momentum" as I do "team/franchise momentum." It's going to be fun to be a fan given the patient realism we've had to have this year. :)