1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Breaking Down the Rockets Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2010.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

That is probably why we don't go after a Super Max player like Bosh, Wade or LeBron. The rest of the team would make no sense.

btw, Yao is not worth the max. Probably more along the lines of $13-14 million

2. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I was getting down on this team. Now I'm excited again and probably will reup on the seasons. The Rockets sure know how to keep a guy hooked! I'm really gonna miss Landry. He was my fav player.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

"...50k for an outhouse in Idaho" :grin:

Great read!

4. southtexan

southtexan Member

Believe it or not every GM does that, It's called Standard Operating Procedures.

5. mic

mic Contributing Member

Great writeup, Clutch. :)

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao will get the max simply because other teams will offer him that much to revive their franchise.

look at Rashard Lewis, he's not worth the money he's getting paid, but the bidding was high.

it's like ebay.

7. zilches

zilches Member

Nice read, Clutch. I hope that all the players on all the teams involved thrive and flourish from the trade. From what I've read, it sounds like they were all ready for and deserving of a change.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Professional work by Clutch.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Great work by Clutch. As long as Morey is on the team, we will have a good chance to improve every year. I hope that we can get Bosh, do not know Amar'e deal who would cost lots for us, I guess he is the one would end in the Knicks.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I hear ya, but I think the only teams that will offer the Max to such an injury prone center who isn't even a franchise player will be teams that have horrible decision makers. Bad front office = horrible team. I highly doubt Yao would betray us for more money in his last productive years with a team going nowhere.

11. ScoobyUT

ScoobyUT Contributing Member

I love you Clutch. :p

12. conquistador#11

No way kenny thomas had the same following as Landry did. seeing landry leave, made me feel almost as sad as the day that we traded horry and sam.
    Landry might have been undersized but he could score over many bigs in the post.

I do love the trade.

13. realmustang

realmustang Member

Battier makes about $7 million next year and Scola will probably be resigned for about the same amount. That's 14 -15 million already which would be about enough to match a max salary. May have to throw in another non-rotation player. Remember, Battier and Scola were already offered to Phoenix along with some 1st round picks. They can make that exact same offer to Toronto in a S&T. I don't see how Toronto could turn that down. Only hang up is that Bosh would have to agree to be traded to Houston.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol...you are claiming that every single GM does that, yet some would still be dumb enough to fall for it? ya can't have it both ways, kid.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

My mind goes blank with all the trading rules, accounting techniques, and other financial considerations. I don't know how you guys (Clutch, Bimathug, Carl Herrera, etc.) keep up with all that stuff. No offense, but the financial chess games just don't light my fire. I am basically a "what happens on the court" fan of basketball. However, I appreciate the technical knowledge of contractual issues you guys have. it is part of the game. You guys must be lawyers or accountants. For me, I like to the see the ball go through the hoop, and I think more of that is about to happen.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Clutch, I think there's got to be some clause on those draft picks. That's just insane.

Mastermind Morey can easily screw the Knicks, but come on....Walsh couldn't figure that out?

Then my friend, he's an ID10T.

17. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Interesting account of the last minute Landry option. Having not followed the rumors very closely, I didn't know that was the thing that unlocked the deal.

Overall, I'm just amazed that the Knicks couldn't get a little more leverage. By all accounts, all 3 teams got what they wanted, but from the NY side of things, this deal wreaks of the deals that CD used to make - the big picture issue is taken care of and the headline reads well, but over the next few years, the depth chart gets shorter and shorter.

Besides letting talent and assets just expire (sorry Jeff), I felt the Rockets HAD to turn McGrady's contract into something because the ensuing media blitz McGrady would have gone on to undermine the Rocket's reputation and make us look bad in the eyes of the other players and general public could have actually done some REAL damage. Did the Knicks not realize this? Would Morey and Les actually let this happen?

I may be completely wrong, and NY may be the next Boston Celtics that buys a championship through free agency, but I think this is a seriously high risk strategy by NY that is likely to end in another Isaih Thomas-like era for them.

18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Exactly. Market value = what other people will pay.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Pocket Rockets

Knowing that morey almost made a deal for an expiring amare, do you think his game plan was to test amare out for this season knowing they would have some money in case he left in the offseason? And then subsequently use that money to acquire another star forward?