1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[McGrady] Team & Agent Agree To Work On Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tomato, Dec 28, 2009.

1. tomato

tomato Member

tmac has left rockets as team and agent agree to work on trade, source tells y sports

via Adrian Wojnarowski's twitter 5 minutes ago
    http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is official.

DD

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Marc Stein is reporting this also.

It's safe to say....

"Tmac no longer believes Adelman's lies"
    :grin:

4. tomato

tomato Member

BTW, unthreadworthy? I thought it'd be cool since this was the first time somebody's citing a (hidden) source saying it's definitively over.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Over/Under by next weekend???

ABOUT FREAKING TIME :grin:

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is unfortunate but all you can do at this point is try to make the best of things. I have confidence Morey has something up his sleeve.

7. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

McGrady and Rockets to part ways, seek a trade
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Dec. 28, 2009, 6:35PM
    icon Print
    iconShare
    iconDel.icio.us
    iconDigg
    iconTwitter
    Yahoo! Buzz
    iconFacebook
    iconStumbleUpon

Tracy McGrady’s tenure with the Rockets, which began with predictions of multiple championships and "great things happening in the City of Houston," is likely over.

The Rockets and McGrady came to a "mutual agreement" Monday to seek to trade McGrady , a person with the Rockets with knowledge of talks between McGrady’s representatives and general manager Daryl Morey said.

With Rockets coach Rick Adelman still unable to predict when McGrady will get significant playing time, McGrady’s representatives asked that the Rockets trade McGrady.

Morey declined comment on Monday.

McGrady will not play while the Rockets seek a trade. A person with knowledge of the Rockets talks with teams said no trade is imminent, but that the Rockets had not been very aggressive in seeking a deal.

McGrady is in the final season of the extension he signed with the Rockets before the 2004-05 season, making his expiring contract worth nearly $23 million potentially valuable to a team seeking to rid itself of rich, long-term contracts.

The Rockets would likely be willing to take back a longer contract if it also got them a player they wanted, but could not make that sort of trade happen when McGrady salary was covered by insurance. Such a deal could be even tougher with McGrady not playing, though trades motivated by salary-cap implications are more common closer to the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

McGrady said last week that he hoped to sign with the Rockets again next off-season to remain in Houston, but that if he is traded, "Whoever gets me is going to get a "hungry… player. I don’t care if I go to the damn moon. It doesn’t matter.

"I’ve been hungry since I came back from my surgery," he said. "I rededicated myself, refocused, moved to Chicago, worked out the whole summer there. It was every day just grinding, just pushing. I’m not even supposed to be playing right now so that really tells you how hard I’ve been working. I wasn’t supposed to be playing until January or February. If you asked anybody who had (microfracture surgery) it probably took them a year to really feel full strength. I feel fine right now."

McGrady said he had agreed with the plan to limit his playing time to seven to eight first-half minutes, but believed after six games without any physical setbacks that he was ready for a larger role.

A two-time scoring champion and seven-time All-Star, McGrady averaged 3.2 points in an average of 7.7 minutes this season, making 7 of 19 shots. Of his 19 points, 10 came in one game, a week ago against the Clippers.

McGrady’s top-scoring season with the Rockets was his first, when he averaged 25.7 points with 6.2 rebounds and 5.7 assists. He entered this season averaging 23.1 points per game with the Rockets, but struggled with injuries through much of his six seasons in Houston, playing just 47 games in 2005-06 because of back issues and just 35 games last season because of the knee problems that led to his microfracture surgery in February.

He has been a second- or third-team All NBA selection in three of his first five seasons with the Rockets. The team never advanced past the first round of the playoffs, however, until last season when McGrady was out.

Whether because of the relative success in recent seasons when McGrady has been out, or the frequency of the Rockets’ lineup changes, teammates said they are not distracted by the latest issues with McGrady.

"We just keep going," Aaron Brooks said. "Everybody has a job to do. It’s the same old story. Nothing changes.

"We always wish the best for Tracy. We can’t do anything about what goes on with them. You guys are about the only ones talking about it. We don’t talk about it. We let that happen. We let it play out. We might joke about it. We might joke about the media talking about it. That’s about it."

Even after McGrady received permission Saturday to return to Houston, most teammates said they did not know until they boarded the bus in New Jersey.

"We don’t think about it and don’t let it effect us," Chuck Hayes said. "We stay focus and get ready for the game. We only have control of the game and how we play. It is an on again, off again type deal. But our opinion doesn’t matter. We just play the game. We just see what you write."

With McGrady limited, Rockets coach Rick Adelman said he was unsure how to both use McGrady and maintain the style and chemistry that led to the Rockets’ surprising 18-13 start.

"I don’t want to do something and we lose whatever positive vibe we had, even though it’s nobody’s fault," Adelman said on Saturday. "I want to see how this goes and how he was going to play in those six games. I understand fully seven or eight minutes is not an easy thing for a player to just do, although he knew he was going to play those seven or eight minutes so it was a time to do whatever you can do in those seven or eight minutes.

"If you start putting somebody in the game for 20, 25 minutes, somebody’s not going to play somewhere else. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Where are we going to go and keep the rest of the guys moving forward."

Throughout the season, however, McGrady did not seem in the Rockets’ long-term plans. Though many references have been made to how the Rockets would proceed next season when Yao Ming returns, McGrady was not mentioned in those terms, with the goals this season a mix of immediate and long-term considerations.

"We want to win as many games as we can," Rick Adelman said. "We want to be the best team we can be and we want to develop our young players."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6789894.html

Also posted about 10 minutes ago in the chronicle.

1 person likes this.
  8. hello2

hello2 Member

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I almost started this thread so I say it's worth it. This is pretty definitive and the other threads have gone so deep now this would be missed by 90% of the people who opened them.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

11. ibm

ibm Member

saw this coming since the weekend. yes, i knew it would be sooner than the trade deadline.

good for all.

12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

there we have it folks.

we'll miss you tmac. hope we get something good for you!

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

hope we don't lose Scolandry in the process.

14. worzel gummidge

More lies from Wojnarowski

15. GoRoxFromDC

GoRoxFromDC Member

sorry for the unnecssary repeat thread didn't see this one --

Anxious to see what DM pulls off. As i tell my friends, In Morey I Trust

16. tracymclady

tracymclady Member

i dont get why they cant just play him. if he sucks then they have the right to bench him if not thats good. actin like ariza is averaging all-star numbers, hes had more 2-15 nights then iverson. its not like tmac didnt train in the off season he only worked with the best trainer the guy who worked with jordan. we better not see eddy curry in a rockets uniform

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have my fears that Scola is going to be packaged but if he is I expect an All Star or near All Star in return.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It was bound to happen soon.

19. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

Hopefully it's soon.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

"I had the last laugh"

-Rick Adelman (quietly to himself)