1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Solomon]Rockets not in the class of NBA's elite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lady_Di, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/03/big_night_for_rockets_not_that.html

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am not reading this article i just wanted to say after all that crap solomon tried to pull around the trade deadline and all i just want to say i am not a fan of his crap.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Its funny that most of those losses are from garbage teams. I wonder if that factors in.

Title contenders or not, I don't get my hopes up. I'm optimistic and know we can beat anyone if we're on our game, even the lakers. After last year though, I'm just watching and enjoying what we're doing.

4. ThaShark316_28

Jerome bout to catch heat for this..

5. Deepbreath

Deepbreath Member

excuse me, but whos the writing guy?

6. Classic

Classic Member

Somebody get Solomon a dry blanket.

7. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Solomon is one of the most useless writers I can remeber in this city. He just writes/says stuff to stir the pot. Thank goodness I don't have to hear him on the radio anymore.

8. jackie_moon23

jackie_moon23 Member

I can't say that I disagree with him. Like a guy posted earlier, I'm just enjoying what they're accomplishing and hope they do something special. All Solomon is saying is that we're not in the same class as Cleveland, Boston and L.A., possibly not even S.A. or Orlando now. He's not saying we can't beat them, but our accomplishments to this point don't merit the same kind of credit those teams recieve.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The only way we can be in the class of the NBA's elite is to prove it in the playoffs.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with some of this to a point.

I think we are not an elite team, but on a tier just below the elite....

The difference is we are the only team that can still improve, and I do think if things break right for the Rockets they could be a contender.

To me they are a darkhorse at best right now.

DD

11. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Well, we all know who are the true Rockets fans! :)

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Realistically, he has some good points, but what annoys me is that he neglects the fact that the teams who are in line to win it all don't always do. We are a darkhorse, I'm sorry but he can't completely rule us out. The thing I hate the most about sports writers is that they seem to always pick the safe bet. Look, we read sports articles for opinions, opinions aren't always right. Show some balls and write something that isn't what everyone else writes. Say the Rockets are contenders, say that they can beat the Jazz, the lakes, the hornets, the spurs... It's easier to count us out and be wrong if we win, than to build hope and be wrong if we lose. Teams come back from the loss of their star player and win big all the time. The lakers and the celts are who we think they are: beatable. Everyone wants to automatically say it's going to be LA and BOS, or LA and CLE, no one in the sports community has the balls to say and support with evidence that it won't be. Until a writer comes up and shows some gumption, these articles just waste time. OP it's a good read, but the guy is spineless.

13. AXG

AXG Member

Honestly, the only teams I don't want to meet in the Playoffs are the Lakers and Jazz. Any other team I feel the Rockets have a great shot at, especially the Nuggets or Blazers.

14. jogo

jogo Member

I'm not sure why people disagree with this article. Maybe Solomon is a jerk or has written bad stuff in the past, but this article seems pretty spot on to me. Our road record is awful for a team that would like to contend. Remember the recent loss to Chicago? Our chances of advancing in the playoffs are really tied to getting home court in round one. Even if we win our 1st round series (against Portland or somebody) then we likely face the Spurs in round 2. I hate the ****ing Spurs but even I know it's incredibly unlikely that we beat them if they have home court advantage. It only gets worse after that. The article is right: if we want to go into the playoffs and feel like we can win on the road then we need to win some of these huge road games at the end of the season.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

More useless than Dick Justice? Dick Justice just won an award for all of his nonsensical pot-stirring.

16. Fatty FatBastard

Agreed. We will be better next year with a healthy McGrady.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree with most of what he said. This team is better than a year ago. Anyone who knows the rockets predicted us to go on a run later in the season. We are not elite. The Lakers, Celtics, and Cavs are. It's likely that we could put up a fight in the playoffs and still lose to an elite team (like the Lakers).

Not much of what he said was really wrong here.

18. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Thats great and all, but we do have some nice road wins against good teams.

On that, where can I find our road record against teams above .500?

The one thing I am optimistic about is that in the playoffs, we won't have to play the Pacers, Knicks, Bulls, T-Wolves, etc.

19. Deepbreath

Deepbreath Member

i think the only difference btw rox and the so-called elites is that we are more likely to collasp in the 4Q.

IF we keep tough till the end of the game, we are elite

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Tell us something we dont know. No crap we arnt as good as a healthy lakers or celtics team. That doesnt mean we are down for the count. If we play hard in the playoffs, we could defin. get to the WCF. I think we will all be happy with a 1st round win.