1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Solomon]Rockets not in the class of NBA's elite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lady_Di, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Ditto, who cares if we have been, are now, or will be considered elite. We're elite if we win late in the playoffs and not if we don't.

2. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Unless losing in the 1st round is now considered being an elite team, we're not elite. We're Sweet 16 good and that's about it.

3. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

Not many saw the 1994 Rockets as true title contenders.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

can't disagree with the content, but i do disagree with him being a condescending ass.

5. respect_roc

respect_roc Member

My lying eyes tell me that this team has shown a distinct ruggedness and toughness which I haven't seen before. So they would probably not be a title contender but my lying eyes tell me that they'll bust their behinds trying to win every game.

And that's really all one can ask of them.

On another note, all the elite teams have been playing together for more than 60 games. This team has only played together for 13 - so if they keep improving over the next 17 games, I don't think any of the elite teams would like to meet them in the play-offs.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

ROFLMAO !!!

I NEVER....NEVER...said that.

:D

DD

7. yobod

yobod Member

What exactly is he trying to point out by writing this article? And what's with the timing of it? Why the hell would you, as a LOCAL SPORTS WRITER, not want fans to be excited about the team that YOU'RE COVERING?!? This is something I NEVER understood about Houston sports writers.....do they not understand that the excited fan is more prone to read, and talk about their team than a fan who's team they feel is not likely to succeed?? If you don't believe me, go check out the message boards of teams like the Grizzlies, Kings, and T-Wolves. They are ghost towns because fans jumped ship a long time ago. Now go check out the message boards of the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, and Cavs. It's night and day because there's a lot more to talk about when your team is winning, and the city is rallying around them. I freaking hate the Chronicle so much.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We don't have to win a championship to make a success out of this year. That is what he doesn't realize.

Almost every team in the past twenty years that I can think of (with Boston last year being the only exception) has had to build up to the championship; get close, but fall short. The Rockets haven't even been able to get to that point. To me, if we can break the first round glass ceiling, maybe upset another round, then that would establish a tradition in our team that would set us up for even more success later down the line.

Another thing: this team is better this year because we have no pressure. Last year Tracy brought it on himself as usual. Injuries, complaining about Yao being out...none of that is on this team this year. Only fight. No looking back, no expectations, no excuses.

We WILL pass the first round this year.

9. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

[ClutchBBS] Solomon not in the class of Chronicle's elite

10. davidghall

davidghall Member

What Solomon fails to realize is when he compares our road record to the likes of the Cavs, Celtics, Magic, and Spurs is 95% of those road games happened when we were running out our Ringling Brothers lineup that mainly consisted of a one legged McGrady jacking up bricks.

Last years team overachieved during that 22 game win streak. I think we can all agree on that. It was a good team, but was highly fueled on emotion with Yao going down. When I compare this years team to last years, Yao is CLEARLY an upgrade over Mutombo. Scola has improved, especially at rebounding. Shane might have slightly regressed. I would take Artest over last years McGrady. Rafer was playing unbelievable basketball during the streak, but Brooks' game is almost at that level.

Now we look at the bench..we have an improved Landry. Hayes is always Hayes, then add Mutombo to the bench for spot situations. We have two guys we can go to in Wafer and Barry as opposed to Head, and we all know how awful Head was, especially in the playoffs. Brooks looked lost at times last year as a backup PG. Lowry is anything but lost.

This is a GREAT Rockets team and I think if we play the series of our lives against the Lakers in the WCF, and draw the Cavs in the finals, we can win it all!

11. conquistador#11

not even when we were winning championships, were we considered part of stern's chosen ones. It's what makes it fun, only now officiating has gotten more corrupt and makes it a more difficult fight. But I believe this team can play with the best of them. They don't give up.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think I'm a realist with the Rockets and I agree with Solomon, but I will say that as long as the rockets avoid Utah,La, and to a extent Portland, they have a pretty good shot. A ideal scenerio would be Houston as a 3rd or a 6th seed playing N.0. in the 1st rd then playing Sa in the 2nd. If that happens, I think the Rox have a good chance at playing La. Could they beat La? I doubt it, but maybe someone on Odom twist a ankle or something then they'll have a pretty good shot. To me, the clear cut team in the east is Boston. Cleveland has been abused since Wallace went out, Orlando isn't the same without nelson.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Being an elite team is one thing...

Actually winning a series and championship is another...

I don't think it is accurate for people to bring up past series or the Rockets from previous years, because this is a new team with alot of new players and young players who were rookies last year.

It's one biggest misconceptions in sports, for instance if the Buffalo Bills became a successful team next year (even reach the Super Bowl), some writers or fans may allude to the Bills past success (and failures in 4 Super Bowls) and mention TO's presence in locker room or outbursts that may effect team's chemistry in big game. Sometimes, it can be relevant, but other times it is totally not relevant. Past success or failure are not relevant in future occurences and that moment.

Last year's Devil Rays were loser in every season of their existence and not nearly as wealthy as the other teams, yet the end up in the World Series. After beating a much more talented Red Sox and White Sox teams, two of three previous World Series champions, even winning a few games on the road.

Atlanta should not have taken Boston, last year to 7 games. Because, they failed to win 40 games and were definitely not an elite team. Yet, they probably gave the Celtics a bigger scare than the Pistons and 10x more competitive than the overhyped Lakers. I know Boston probably had their guard down against Atlanta, but still 8th seeded, 37 win team gave Boston a better series than Laker team that almost won 60 games and breezed through the Western conference.

I could say the same thing about the 07' Giants, 08 Cardinals, 06-07' Cavs, 03-04 Pistons, or 2001 Patriots. None of those teams were elite in any sense of the word. If we want to throw around the elite word, The Giants had no business beating the Cowboys and Packers at home in the playoffs, while it was travesty for them to beat the undefeated Patriots. Maybe, but it happened.

08 Cardinals had no business putting Atlanta away like that, shredding the Panthers and beating the Eagles. Unexpectedly giving the Steelers a very tough Super Bowl game.

We all know about the Pistons vs. Lakers in 2004. Even without Karl Malone, most critics weren't giving Detroit much of chance to win against the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. I remember people, like Stephen A. Smith saying ... oh this is going to be a pathetic NBA Finals with one of these teams (Indiana/Detroit) actually playing the Lakers. "It'll be over with after the 1st game." While, the ESPN NBA analysts were all in unison as no one chose to the Pistons, except one lone writer who had them winning in 6. Strangely, the Pistons rocked the Lakers and won in 5. Also, Larry Brown in that series probably proved he might have been better coach than much a more successful Phil Jackson. Or at least when it comes to X's and O's.

You never know .. . it doesn't really matter, if we are elite or not. Being elite is somewhat of an abstract term depending on your definition. Are you talking about eltie in the regular season, the playoffs, or over a period of time and decades. It doesn't really mean anything, especially if you don't eventually win a championship. Dallas, Sacramento, Minnesota, and Phoenix all were elite in this decade, did it work out for them?

I'm probably on the bandwagon that say why does a championship have to not be possible this year or at least getting to one? It's not like the Rockets have to face an MJ team, an outstanding shutdown defense (except Spurs), or a team with dominant center on it (Wilt, Dream)? Most people are ready to give the Lakers are free trip to the NBA Finals, but they have to earn it. I don't think they are quite as automatic as people make them out to be. Witnessing the Phoenix game, the Portland game, and their lack of success against stopping above average big men. If they have play a team, like Phoenix or Utah in the first round, that's not going to be easy without Bynum. Even with him, they still don't have answer for Shaq, Yao, Amar'e (if he had played), or Tim Duncan.

14. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Of course we're not in the Elite sector of the league. An Elite team doesn't collapse in the 4th every other game.

16. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Great post. I for one feel like the team we've seen the past 13 games is the real ROCKETS this year. This team will continue to peak as it approaches the end of the season and I really do believe the WCF is the Houston Rockets' to lose this year.

The Shane/Artest tandem defensively at the 2/3 positions is not hype. These 2 guys compliment each other very well and it will be because of these 2 that teams in the playoffs will have difficulty getting easy baskets and scoring in general. A wing can stay hot from the outside for so long. Sooner or later, they're going to want to take it to the rack and our Team defense as manifested the last 13 games is getting better and will continue to strive towards the postseason.

I'm one of the advocates that defense wins championships, and in the Rockets case, that is no exception. Rockets might now win a ring this year (remains to be seen) but they can certainly win series because of their stellar defense.

I can't think of any other team in the league (Boston included) who are better equipped defensively than the Rockets.

17. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

the way he concludes his page long bull**** indicates that he is a worthless tool

18. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Now you're trying to stir the pot. :D

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You HAD to listen to him? :D

20. harryrms

harryrms Member

An ideal scenerio would be us as the 2nd seed playing N.O. or Denver in the
    1st rd then play Spurs (3rd) in the 2nd. I see a 60% chance getting to WCF
    that route. And if we have to play Utah along the way, put Chuck in on
    Boozer and play Yao 25 min on whoever is not as good a shooter, like