1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinions on deer hunting...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Behad, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I got this in an email today, and I am still ROTFLMAO over this. It sounds like something Jim Rome would say. Personally, I agree with every word.

. The worst of the so-called non-sports is by far deer hunting. What kind of jackass has the stones to lay out bait for starving animals, build a camouflaged condo to hide in so the deer can't see him, bathe in deer urine so the deer can't smell the stench of the 2 day old chicken wings smeared on the bright orange safety vest he's wearing, then wait until some half witted deer walks into the sites of his high powered fully automatic rifle and call it a SPORT?! How is this a sport? No. Drop one of these inbreds into the bush blindfolded and naked with a 3 day walk back to civilization and let him go one-on-one with the antlers. Then maybe I'll call it sporting.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I agree with every word!!!

------------------

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

"Bathe in Deer Urine" -- how did he make the deer pee on him?

When my parents went house hunting recently, they looked at a house next to some woods that had a beautifully decorated yard, with immaculate landscaping, and a swing on the back porch. The scene overlooked an automatic deer feeder in a little clearing on the edge of the woods. The owners said that they loved to sit out on the swing in the morning and watch the animals come by and eat the corn.

We went inside, and found an equally beautiful house with probably a hundred stuffed animal parts on the wall -- everything from deer, to birds, to a fox and even little squirrels.

They didn't buy it.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

Deckard likes this.
  4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

It's been years since I've been deer hunting...actually over a decade. I never really shot anything though---except dove and quail season overlapped with deer, and I always shot a few of them. (my sister used to make this recipe with quail that was just too damn good to pass up). I never really shot deer because 1) they're just so damn beautiful, and 2) I'd much rather have a good filet mignon.

Still, just being out there....those were literally, the best memories I have in my life. This is especially poignant to me because it was my brother-in-law that used to take me hunting.....and he passed away yesterday.

I'd like to tell you how ALL sports were born of warrior games before the age of Christ--these games centered around hunting and fighting. I'd like to tell you how because the deer's natural predators have been virtually exterminated, deer hunting serves a useful purpose in keeping deer from dying a much more tragic death of starvation. I'd like to tell you how there's no such thing as a "half witted" deer." I'd like to tell you what a caricature of deer hunting that description is.

But I know not to walk into a New York bar in a cowboy hat and start talking smack about those “damn Yankees.” I know I’m vastly outnumbered here, and I know there are plenty people who can argue the other side with just as much emotion—and who have their own statistics and arguments to discredit my statistics; just as I have arguments to discredit theirs.

Still, I’d like to go on record as saying that I disagree with this assessment on deer hunting.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

Deckard and ICanDunkOnYao like this.
  5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

6. JT

JT Member

Deer hunting (and any type of hunting) is far more sporting than the way you got the last hamburger, steak, ribs, bacon, chicken, etc. that you ate. That poor cow, lamb, hog chicken, etc. didn't have a chance. [​IMG] At least the deer has a chance to escape. Almost every deer hunter has missed from time to time.

------------------

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I have been deer hunting but I didn't shoot one nor would I. I went more just to see what it was like. I'm glad nobody shot one while I was there. I just don't believe shooting animals is in my nature. I cringe driving by all the dead squirrel roadkill to and from work every day. On that same trip, some a-hole almost blew my head off supposedly showing me how to use a rifle. The gun went off and I was just lucky that it wasn't pointed at me. I was like...your an idiot man...a complete idiot. If this is the mentality of a hunter, then stay the hell away from me. All of the other people who were there were in total shock this supposed pro hunter accidentally discharged his rifle. What a moron? That turned me off real quick.

But, I have had deer meat and I do find it tasty. Also, the only reason I would support deer hunting is to control the deer population. I do not believe it is a sport, however, because some idiot can sit in a deer stand while being quiet and shoot some defenseless animal trying to eat to survive. In my mind, it is more like cattle ranching.

They might as well just process deer the same as cattle. That way...the deer can be killed immediately with the least amount of cruelty. God forbid you shoot a deer and it still runs around alive while in massive amounts of pain. How would you deer hunters like to be shot? Huh? Yeah...right!

Ted Nugent is the biggest moron hunter of them all in my opinion. You can hunt...you must be a MAN....NOT.

Surf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited October 11, 2000).]

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think anyone calls eating your dinner a sport.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

10. Surfguy

Sport was not the right word although this may be the only exercise some of these hunters get so it may very well be sport for them. Or you might call it lounging [​IMG].

------------------

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, I'll get into this.

First, I have not, nor will I ever go deer hunting. It is against my nature to end the life of any other animal. Aslo, I don't like guns.

Second, I think it is dumb to call hunting a sport. It is a passtime. If people went out and killed deer with their own hands, then I would call that a sport (that also would be a justification for the "top of the foodchain argument).

However, I will support Pole here a little.

Many throw their arms up about how horrible hunting is. However, if you take it from a purely ethical standpoint, hunting is far better than eating a steak.

The reason for this is that the deer, at least, died in its natural habitat, in its natural glory. There is less trauma in death this way as well - it is sudden, just as with the attack of a lion or whatever (actually, more sudden).

The cow/pig/chicken is far less fortunate and tortured.

So don't be so quick to bash hunting and hunters.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

12. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

There are 2 sides to this situation. There are those who hunt deer like it was a game and there are those who hunt for food.

I am completely against those who hunt for "sport" and are only interested in how big the antlers are, so they can show how macho they were killing a deer with thier automatic weapons. There is no glory in showing off your kills. This is not a necessity in life any more. On the most part, we are not hunters and warriors like our ancestors. Hunting for glory is sad.

On the other hand, there are people who live in the country who actually eat what they kill. A lot of money can be saved on groceries when you have a freezer full of meat. Hunting is a necessity for some folk. I understand that have no problems with it.

I also do not have any problems with Ted Nugent. While I do not always agree with his views on everything, I have no problems with his hunting. I also have no problems with his program for teaching kids to hunt. Nugent is a bow hunter. What he teaches requires patience, determination, practice, and respect. It takes a lot of skill to hunt with a bow. He is not about slaughtering animals just for the sake of killing them. He is all about how to survive on your own. He teaches you to be self-supportive. He teaches you to respect nature.

I'm no Ted Nugent apologist but having grown up in a tiny hick town in East Texas, I can understand where he is coming from (on the most part). Country/mountain life is WAY different than living in or near the city. Populated areas have the convienience of having services that do things for you. When you live in an area where your closest neighbor is say, a mile away, then you tend to do more things for your self because that is more convienient then driving a few hours to the closest town.

I'm sure Ted would not approve of the many yuppy urbanites who "hunt" just for "sport". That is not survival. That is genocide.

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

13. Surfguy

I certainly don't want to come across as a negativist toward deer hunters. Like I said, I don't think it is much of a sport(if you want to call it that), I don't think there is much of a challenge there, etc. . But, if you as an individual have no problem shooting a helpless animal, then by all means feel free. Myself...I couldn't take a life like that....no matter how small the brain is. But, life and death struggles are a part of everyone....noone is excluded.

As Crisco says....we are all guilty for eating meat which came from somewhere where somebody had to kill an animal. And we definitely do need to control the deer population and hunters are one of the current best ways to do that. If you are killing animals to eat them, then that is what it should be all about. But, too often then not, it's more about the rack or the head. Woah...look at the number of points on that buck rack! Ooooh.....ummm.....who gives a ****....I would rather see a 12 point buck survive to have more points on it's rack!

Since bears take a lot of human lives, it's only fair that Ted Nugent take a lot of bears lives [​IMG]. As for the shooting of exotic animals by bringing them in, letting them roam around a fenced area while someone can shoot one for a trophy mount....I say screw you you aholes.

Surf

------------------

14. Behad

OK, everyone has had their say, now let me have my rebuttal:

To start with, I did not make up this quote, it was emailed to me. I do think it is funny because it is true. I have a cousin who owns about 500 acres in east Texas. I went with him once when I was younger and this is what I saw: A deer feeder, in the middle of a field of oats, next to a small stream. He had a stand set up next to a tree on the edge of the field. Now this feeder and stand have been there all year, and no humans live within 200 acres, so the deer in the woods have been eating uninterrupted for 11 months. So the morning of the first day of deer season comes, and he crawls out of bed at 3 in the morning. (I did not go, I could not bear to watch.) He treks out to the stand, slips the barrel of his 12 guage out the little slot in the stand, and waits. Now everyone, try looking at this thru the deer's eyes. For eleven months, the deer has been eating at the same feeder, grazing on the same oats, and drinking at the same stream. The only human contact he has had was once a month, the same human who he may smell now has brought food for him to eat. So dawn comes, deer walks to same place to feed and drink, and BAM!, he gets a 12 guage deer slug thru the chest.

Somebody please explain to me how this is a sport!

Now I know several of you here have made the argument "How is this any different than slaughtering cattle for meat markets or grocery stores?" Well, it isn't. My cousin did, in effect, raise the deer to be slaughtered and eaten, which I only mildly object to. But wouldn't you call that deer farming, not hunting?

But hunters are often referred to as sportsman. Why? What is sporting about how these deer are being killed?

There are many people in this world who go deep into the wild, into the prey's habitat, and track and kill animals. This is hunting. What these yahoos descibed in my first post are doing is not hunting. Yet every year, on the first weekend of November, they pull out the shotgun the have not used since last year, pay money to the deer lease owner, pack up several cases of beer, run to their cabin on the lease and hope to shoot a deer.

These are not hunters, nor are they sportsmen.

Deer farming is no different than cattle farming. Hunting to provide for your family is the same as farming.

But the a$$holes who plan their entire vacations around November 1st, whose main concern is "getting that 10 pointer to hang on the wall", who basically act like the description in post #1, are who this rant of mine is directed at.

You know who you are, and I suspect most everyone who has posted in this thread know as well.

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

15. Surfguy

Shooting a deer with a shotgun instead of a rifle....not that's cold. I would think a shotgun spray blast would not do the trick as well as a high powered rifle slug.

The sport is you have to aim, you have to build muscle to hold the gun and prevent the butt from kicking you in the face, you have to pose for your fat guy(most of em) in a hunting outfit with dead deer pictures, you have to slice up that deer into many pieces when your done, and you feed some bones to your dogs so they can splinter in their throats and stomach and die a grisly death of their own [​IMG].

If your not hunting to survive or for food, then it's all about machoism anyway. Who can get the most racks, the biggest deer, the most quail, the biggest bear, the closest call, the best shot, the bloodiest battle, the most exotic animal, blah blah blah..... [​IMG].

------------------

16. Behad

He used deer slug loads in his shotgun.

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

17. Surfguy

Shows how much I know about killing deer with shotguns [​IMG]. I like shooting cactus with shotguns....now that is fun. Although, technically am I not taking the life of the cactus. I am guilty as charged...case closed.

------------------

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

CACTUS KILLER!!!!!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

19. Behad

Just out of curiousity Jeff, what does "no comment" mean? If you had nothing to say, then why post no comment? Isn't this like the "non-denial denial" Woodward and Bernstein used when reporting on Watergate?

What are you hiding Jeff? [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Deer hunting sucks.

There is a reason people began to domesticate other cattle and other animals you know. So they would no longer have to go hunting.

I guarantee you if the deer had machine guns in his antlers and started spraying back that 99% of the deer hunting population would stop doing it.

Of course, this all leads to questions about fishing,etc,etc also

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.