1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinions on deer hunting...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Behad, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Never done it but have little problem with it. Not a gun enthusiast of any kind, but actually think knowing how to shoot, particularly in it's relevant context, is a skill we want a portion of our population to have. Also, I think animals above a certain size need to have their numbers regulated.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have been deer hunting, and most of my family, especially the ones from South and West Texas deer hunt quite a bit.

I like the IDEA of deer hunting way more than the actual hunting.

I really enjoy going out to the ranch, having a campfire, shooting guns, hanging with the guys and all the stuff that goes along with the hunting.

I also enjoy the hunt (we don't hunt at feeders), the walk, the stalk and everything.

I enjoy the whole thing right up until the second after I pull the trigger.

Then I have to field dress the darn thing and haul it back to camp, clean it, gut it, skin it, butcher it. I hate that. This is one of the reasons I've mainly switched to quail and dove hunting. After you pull the trigger you just put it in your pocket. (Bacon wrapped dove that night in camp)

I do enjoy chicken fried backstrap, so there is a "happy" ending for me (not the deer).

As for deer hunting in general, I have no problem with people enjoying it. The deer population is grossly out of control on many parts of the country, so have at it.

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Deer hunting is old....blasting hogs from a chopper is where it's at.

APORKALYPSE NOW

1 person likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yes lets give up the traditions of mankind from the past MILLION YEARS because in the past 50 years we are more used to buying meat in plastic wrap.

Nut up. You guys remind me of women. Actually scratch that. All of your grandmas would skin a rabbit and cut the head off of a chicken faster than you could blink.

1 person likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What an old thread.

Deer Hunting is not a sport.

Hunting for sport is terrible.

Hunting because you like the way the meat tastes, is just fine. If you have a problem with hunting for food, you better be a vegetarian, because the domestic breeding and slaughtering of animals that we buy from the grocery store is more inhumane.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly right.

I'm not a vegetarian. I have a lot of respect for vegetarians. This is the most humane, environmentally sound, and probably the most healthy diet.

I'm not a hunter. I have a lot of respect for hunters, especially if they don't use automatic feeders and dress their own game. Hunting is much more honest and humane than raising and slaughtering animals in a factory environment.

I have zero respect for non-vegetarians that criticize hunting. This is the height of hypocrisy.

7. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Use to slow walk brush & forest till the mid 1970s till i got to busy used a Ruger 44 carbine open sights no time to use scope. But got to busy and quit. I never believed in all this deer piss and stands and camouflage & crap. Just walk into the wind and keep your eyes and ears working.
    Now days just use http://guides.oldfashionedliving.com/Venison_Houston_TX-p1577948-Houston_TX.html Its cheaper and faster then what these so called high tech hunters are doing now.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is this the longest off-season in history? Seems like we're seeing more old threads bumped than usual this summer. Haven't read every bit of this one, but I wanted to chime in on something said earlier. I'm not an avid hunter and haven't had the experience in a very, very long time, but for me, it was never the blazing away that appealed, but rather the hunt itself, being out in nature and listening. Moving and staying as quiet as possible, attempting to be in tune with the sounds most of us never notice. There's a beauty to creeping in the forest and heavy cover that is difficult to describe if you haven't done it. An underlying tension exists, to be sure, a measure of excitement you keep tapped down because you are listening. Far too many of us don't, blundering about like an elephant in the bush, and missing 90% of the beauty surrounding us, ever present, yet ignored. That's what I always loved about the hunt. Not killing things, but finding them, and finding that peace, as ironic as it sounds, that exists when you make that conscious effort to blend in with, and be a part of, nature all around you.

If I hunt now, I hunt with a camera. Yes, an aspect is missed, but the essence is there. We all have some part of this in our nature, hardwired. It's good to let ourselves go and accept those feelings, from time to time. You'll notice those things to often passed by. Beauty, quiet, camaraderie if someone is with you. The nod, the raised eyebrow, and there is the prey, reduced to ones and zeros with a click of your finger, but more than an image remains. The memory remains, and the city is far, far away.

#68 Deckard, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't consider it a sport but I do it.

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Check out all those old time posters! popeye, achebe, DREAMer, et al.

Necrobump FTW! Now chase down my thread on the rodeo.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think this ranks as the best historical pull of an old thread ever!!

sergeant at arms/Behad started it and
    oeilpere was the last poster.

then Pole restarts it by vindicating rimbaud.

and it was an 11 yr old pull.

This is so awesome on so many levels.

Maybe Clutch can correct me...but he converted to vBulletin after this...I did not know a year 2000 pull was possible after the day everything died (Hakeem signing with Toronto).

#71 heypartner, Sep 2, 2011
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

When I went searching for it, I thought it was Jeff that I was mouthing off to, but I couldn't find that discussion (if it existed). My apologies anyway, Jeff.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So you found this in the current cf.net/vBulletin search engine

I did not think that was possible for posts made before Hakeem signed with Toronto. The day Hakeem signed was the biggest spike on the server by far than anything ever before. The old software blew up in our face, and Clutch moved to vBulletin. I thought we couldn't salvage the posts, only the members. That was like a two day IT event for Clutch and I. I guess I don't remember correctly.

#73 heypartner, Sep 2, 2011
  14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I roll with this clan when I go huntin

[​IMG]

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Why are you hanging out with my sister?

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your sister is the First Lady? Nice!

17. ILoveTheRockets

Only gays and women hate deer hunting.

What's next? Fish are suppose to be caught and released?

1 person likes this.
  18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Man, you are a dick. For real.

19. Asian Sensation

Only hillbillies and WT like deer hunting.

20. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I've done the hunting from a deer stand and don't have a problem with it. If you eat meat, you should shoot and dress your own deer at least once - it gives you appreciation and respect for life.

I haven't done it for a couple years - my buddy's deer lease is too far away and I don't like the sitting and waiting aspect. I'm also definitely not walking through an unknown forest making myself a potential target for a trigger-happy hunter.

So if I'm going to go after something, it's going to be fish from a kayak.

As far as the health issue goes, I'll give my ten cents: processed food and sugar is what is making us unhealthy. If you stay away from that and don't overeat, you will likely be healthy. It's easiest to get the needed nutrients as an omnivore (particularly fat-soluble vitamins), but you can stay healthy as a vegetarian if you work hard at it.

Veganism makes it really hard, and raw foodists and fruitarians are just being silly (to put it kindly).

If Jeff is still a vegetarian after 10 years, I'll take my hat off to him - most western vegetarians don't last that long for a variety of reasons.