1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinions on deer hunting...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Behad, Oct 11, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

ROFLMAO!!!

I've never understood how anyone could stand putting an animal head on the wall like a trophy. Trophies are given for winning a competition and last time I checked there were no direct competitions between men and deer. I liked the writers idea of dropping these "Karl Malones" into the bush and really seeing their survival skills!!

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think Jeff is a vegitarian, so he was kinda saying "you know my feelings about this." I think he's a tree hugger also. [​IMG]

------------------
    "It's not a matter of if we will win the NL central, it's by how many games." Barry Larkin

3. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

I never grew up in Texas.

But I have lived here for a long time.

(True Story)

I hunted Deer, Moose, Duck, Quail throughout my early life in Canada. We hunted for meat. Never took antler trophies. We stalked the animal. Heavy snow. Cold winds. You and him. One animal and you. Heavy bush. If you got lucky you ended up with 200lbs of meat. Enough for Mom and my ten brothers and sisters to eat. Used some of the hair and feathers for tying flies. Fished a whole lot. Still fish today. But I don't live there anymore. So I don't hunt anymore. Except with a camera.

I was a strict vegetarian for about six or seven years in there somewhere ( my hippie dippie Woodstock sixties) and so renounced all rights of humans to hunt other animals. I am no longer a strict vegetarian.

Hunting in Texas is not an art. Not a science. Not a sport. It is a commercial enterprise to buy expensive things. If you have enough money you can purchase all the things that you need to make the act as easy as possible. Not even difficult.

Buy yourself a stand made from titanium and complete with heater, microwave and a "noiseless" toilet. Buy a semi-automatic Weatherby rifle with a Zeiss Lens scope for about three thousand dollars. Pay a couple of hundred dollars to someone to show you were they live. Stand up and blow that oversized German Shepherd-sized buck to smithereens. Pay someone to carry the 100 lb carcass out to the closest taxidermist. Then pay him a king's fortune to put your puny manhood on the wall.

Nope I don't hunt anymore. But then I doubt there are many people in Texas who do hunt. The sport here should be called "consumerism".

They BUY. Not HUNT.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

What exactly is the difference between a strict vegitarian and a non-strict vegitarian?

[​IMG]

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

6. rascal

rascal Guest

Unless the tree has consented to be hugged, wouldn't that actually be a form of molestation? Sounds pretty insentitive if you ask me. [​IMG]

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

RocketsPurveyor

There are any number of old and new "classes" of vegeterianism.

Some are "lacto-", meaning they exempt milk from their ban on animal products (meaning they eat cheese and drink milk, etc...) . Some are "ovo-", meaning they exempt eggs from their ban on animal products (they eat eggs, cake, omelets, etc ...) . And there even newer and more exotic combinations out there.

A strict vegeterian eats only those products NOT associated in the growing, preparation, processing or substance of animal contact.

Some "strict V's" do not use any article of clothing, untensil, etc... that has contacted any animal. This would include: shoes, belts, leather bowls, bone handled knives, etc...

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Behad: GR-8 got it right. I think I've been over how I feel about killing animals and, yes, I am a tree hugger. [​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

To add to oeil:

Vegetarian: The traditional vegetarian was one who did not eat animal by-products of any kind. Today, it is someone who does not eat "animal flesh" including beef, pork, poultry, fish or any other form of animal flesh.

Ovo-Lacto: This term is fairly recent and basically means the same as above. The difference is that some vegetarians do not eat any meat, eggs or drink milk (see below). In other words, NO animal by-products. Ovo and Lacto stand for those who eat eggs, drink milk or do both.

Vegan (pron: VEE-gun): This is technically the new form of the traditional vegetarian. A vegan is someone who does not eat any animal by-products including flesh, eggs or milk.

Fruitarian: This is a new version and someone who will not eat any plant that must be destroyed in the process of eating. A tomato, for example, is fine because it is the fruit of the plant. Broccoli, on the other hand, would not be ok because it IS the plant.

Most all vegetarians do their best to avoid animal products sold as part of clothing, etc. Leather, bone, suede, ivory, fur, gelatin and others are avoided as much as possible. I have my man-made Allen Iverson Reebok's on now, for example.

I know you can't fix EVERYTHING. The rubber in my shoes is a chemical by-product that isn't particularly good for the environment, but you just do your best.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited October 11, 2000).]

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff,

For our Canadian friends vegan is pronounced more like (vay-gan). [​IMG]

Crisco, I liked your post a lot. You're gettin better. [​IMG] I will still crush you on the court, tough.

Hey Jeff, what did you think of my ethics post? I am interested to see what another vegetarian (although not as extreme as I am!) thinks about such a statement.

Go hug a tree, everyone, you'll feel better.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

Funny Post. [​IMG]

But seriously, I thought the only true Texas "huntin'" toilet was a tree! People have been doing their business behind a tree in the great outdoors for centuries.

Kind of makes you re-think hugging that tree, doesn't it. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

12. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Hilarious, my wife and I were having this exact discussion this weekend.

Put 'em on the glass, I say.

If you're going to eat meat, then by all means you should be able to kill the animal yourself, lest ye be a hypocrite. I'm calling myself out on this one since I started eating chicken this past January (after a 10 year lull). I tend to think that I would have an easier time killing a chicken than I would a sophisticated mammal such as a pig or cow.

(I stopped reading at about the 15th post, so I'm not sure if this was already said).

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

13. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I've never been deer hunting, but I've wanted to ever since I was a little kid, and I still do. In fact, a friend of mine has invited me to go sometime this year.

My grandfather had the deer "trophies" and turkeys, and quail, etc on his wall. All my uncles and cousins hunt, and my Dad hunts. I always liked the stuffed animals on the wall. We weren't a wealthy family, nor did we live out in the country, so the total number of trophies was not overbearing (as I've seen in some houses)

Why is it "worse" to be excited because you shot the biggest deer you've ever seen, than to shoot an average deer and not put it on the wall? You've seen trophy fish on walls haven't you? Well, in that case the entire fish is wasted (as far as I know). With most other game most of the meat is still used.

In Texas the deer limit is 2 deer per season, I think you can kill 3 if one's a doe, or if you kill one with a bow during bow season. But, my point is that these hunters aren't going out every weekend and slaughtering hundreds of deer like with the buffalo in the old days. There's been years where I know hunters who didn't kill any deer.

And, also why are deer any more valuable or sacred than cows? They aren't. I can't imagine what the ratio of deer to cow killings is per year.

I don't have a problem with someone saying that they couldn't kill a deer, because it's not in their nature. That's fine. But, put them in a situation where they have to kill a deer or boar or chicken or something to live, and I bet they do it.

Deer hunting is, in effect, no different than picking up a slab of ribs from the grocery store. Why begrudge the hunters their pleasure in "picking out their particular ribs"?

Also, I don't think anyone can argue that bow hunting is not a sport.

Now, vegetarians of all levels can tell me all day how they don't eat meat. That's fine. That's a lifestyle choice. But, they'd have a hard time convincing me that is the way all human's were meant to live. Mainly, because there are other animals who do eat meat, and we have teeth made for eating meat (not just meat, but including meat).

Jeff, that whole not eating a carrot or whatever, because it's the whole plant thing cracked me up.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Although I don't approve or disapprove of people eating meat... I also wanted to say that I find it humorous when religious people that are always separating human animals from non-human animals w/ discussion of souls, etc. use the very inherent similarities that we have w/ other animals as justification for meat consumption. The systems logic doesn't seem to work too well in dealing w/ the multiple issues.

Regardless, the funniest quote I've seen in a while was by the pro-snowboarder Brian Thien when he said "if eating animals is wrong then why did God make them out of meat". LOL.

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

15. rimbaud

Supporting Member

DREAMer,

I am going to bite on your last statement.

Now, I am not trying to convince anyone to adopt my belief systems, but I have to challenge the statement that our teeth are made for eating meat.

The day that I see you chase down a cow or deer (or even chicken, for that matter) and are able to rip through the skin and chomp easily on the raw meat underneath, then I will agree, otherwise...uh, no.

Our teeth are mostly flat with canines that are very minimal. If you compare our teeth structure to another animal it would be that of a primate. What do they eat? Fruit, vegetables, and the occasional dung beetle. [​IMG] Additionally, they have stronger jaws than we do.

Internally, our intestines are much longer than those of true meat eaters, causing the putrification of waste before it passes.
    Our bowel walls are rough and have pockets, theirs are smooth - again leading to a problem digesting and passing meats.

Also, our bodies have a horrible reaction to cholesterol - something found only in animal products.

I will stop here because there is no point in continuing. If simple science(biology) has a hard time convincing you, then there is nothing further I can add.

------------------

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The "not eating a carrot" thing wasn't a joke. There are people who treat plant life with the same sacred reverence many of us treat human life. That is not to say they treat humans worse, just that ALL life to them is sacred.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I dont know how or why people would like to kill animals and call it a sport. Killing defenseless animals is not a sport. Yeah I eat steak and chicken, but they are raised to be eaten. Going out in the woods and shooting any kind of an animal or bird is just plain wrong.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads & Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN!

REDSKINS SUCK!!!!!!!!

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Rimmy, if you want to get literal about it, one of the definitions of sport is - an active pastime; diversion.

I think it is funny that behad is critical of hunters, yet is an active "smoker".

I'm not going to criticize hunting because I eat meat, and I am just as guilty of killing defenseless animals as they are. The only difference is that I don't kill the animals, just buy the food. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. That works for a lot of unpleasant truths.

I'm still working out my beliefs though. Right now I believe it is okay to eat animals. Whether that is something that has been engrained upon me from society, or a concious, well-reasoned decision is something I am still coming to grips with.

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Jeff, Rimbaud....Which institute of higher learning did you learn all of this "simple science?"

Dreamer....Remember, Jeff and Rimbaud presented information to you that is pushed by those who believe that humans should not eat meat. Just as cattle ranchers would have you believe you should have a big steak with every meal, their “studies” have results that are slanted in favor of their arguments.

Get on the net and look at different curriculums for differing universities. Almost without fail, they will show that humans are and should be omnivorous—just as they have been as they have evolved over the past several million years.

Surely, Jeff and Rimbaud could find some “real” studies (by that, I mean a study done by a respected university and not www.meatstinks.com )that slant the argument in their favor, just as we could find some that slant the way of the Atkins diet. As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

[This message has been edited by Pole (edited October 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Pole (edited October 12, 2000).]

20. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Pole,

You are right. JAMA, Oxford University, Harvard U, Am. Nutritional Institute, Cambridge, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Association for the Advancement of Science, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, the Lancet, American Heart Journal, etc...
    are all biased. They represent extremes of science.

Looking at scientific diagrams of anatomy is also biased.

Reports presented by the National Dairy Council, National Egg Board, and the National Livestock and Meat Board - all private organizations - are much more unbiased.

I agree, by the way, that we are a little omnivorous - insects and probably the occasional rodent would be just fine, as it is with most primates.

------------------