1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span Scout Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZmXXDndVHY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZmXXDndVHY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

For the Higher Quality one
    http://files.filefront.com/Vspanwmv/;5436805;;/fileinfo.html

If you don't feel like downloading the huge torrent file and then on top searching for the V-Span clips to scout him then this is for you. It's the Greek game vs Qatar or however you spell them, Im to tired to look it up.

I added everything I thought should be added, from brain freezes to good stuff.

My scouting notes:
    I didn't realize he was so quick~ I also didn't realize what a freaking awesome passer he is. From all the people who say he goes left ect.. I saw him go both ways equally which is a really really good thing cause he was just as effective going both ways. His shot looks nice but it was either he was off or he is one of those guys who has a pretty ok looking shot that doesn't fall, I would need to see more then one game to make a conclusion on that but his freethrow shooting hit nothing but net for all of his attempts so maybe he is a good shooter, I don't know.

He is pretty fearless, I saw him try to box out some tall centers and bang with them, it was funny~he got destroyed though there but who wouldn't, its the effort and heart that counts. But the fearlessness is a good thing as he slashes to the basket alot. Even when he gets denied as there is a clip of it he just didn't stop from slashing to the basket to either go for the bucket or pass it off.

Sorry but again, I loved the way he passed the ball, on offense it just seemed like he was in control and his 4th quarter play broke the game open from being pretty close to being a blowout. He is definitly a project nontheless, his defense is decent but not up to what JVG will expect, he needs more work there. Also as I said above, he should work on hitting his 3's(althoughas stated it could of just been an off night behind the arc) and.. well.. that about wraps it up. It was good to finally see him play and my hopes for him are alot higher now. ;) :)

Also, it seems his shot is money inside the arc

#1 Realjad, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He has problems on his release from long range. He has a tendacy to hold the ball too long and he is gripping it too tight in an effort to muscle the ball in instead of just relying on his legs for those bombs. Just rock back on his feet, flex and let 'er fly. McGrady will teach him how to pull up better.

I like him because he is rough and tumble. Looks like his body can sustain abuse quite well. He's no weak, skinny tweaty bird out there.

He needs to work on the 3 pointer and he needs to develop the look away pass and become more deceptive and he will be very good.

3. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Remember that the team he is playing againts is Qatar. Team China is better than them if that tells you anything.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Yeh but I really was surprised how athletic Qatar was, they came out ballin'~ playing almost perfect basketball, then it stopped...and stayed that way. They hung in the game though until the end when V-Span decided to finally dominate :cool:

While they were insanely athletic, it just goes back to the ole saying

skill and teamwork>athletic and no iq

Which is EXACTLY why we got rid of Swift!! ;)

5. luhbron

luhbron Member

Wow, I think we have something here. He reminds me of Marko Jaric.

Look how well the offense moves without the ball. No one stands still.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Thanks for the vid.

Honestly, I am not that impressed, but I think he will improve in NBA. The team Greece was playing is Qatar, and looks like they had hard time pulling away. I see him ptretty much only going with one speed to the hole and dish. I dont see good PG skills in him.

7. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

He will have a greater chance to succeed in NBA than most of the Europe players.

He is not soft at all and he is fearless of body contact.

Maybe his shooting is not that good/consistent as Macijauskas/Jasikevicius.

But he can do other things(defense,passing) to help team win.

And watching him playing in the one of the best/complicated defense system in this tournament, you will know he wont find any problem in learning JVG's system.

He could be the biggest surprise for our team next season.

8. soulonh

soulonh Member

roc got a good guard.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Completely agree that passing is the biggest asset he will bring to the Rockets. He can pass off penetration AND he can feed the post from outside. His outside shot is very suspect. We can hope for the best. At least he tries on defense. The "want to" is 50% of the battle.

The only reason Qatar got out to the big lead is because Greece didn't press. Once they were down 25-8, Greece pressured the ball the rest of the game and Qatar never recovered. Plus so many times Qatar couldn't rebound to save their lives.

10. kingkow

kingkow Member

I doubt that we need his shots that much. Just make sure he drives and draws the fouls, make those shots then its all good

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

V-Span is at is best against man on man defense. That is one reason he will actually do better in the nba than over in international basketball. The pick and roll with him and Yao will be deadly.

12. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I like the fact he shared the ball well. His teammates didn't always make their shots though. Also was impressed with the driving. On most of the drives in the video, he beat the man away from the pick. when you can beat a defender to his strong side (side he is not being picked on), it shows quickness. Still just Qatar though.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I've watched both of Greece's games and I would say his biggest asset is his ability to control the tempo of the game. He doesn't start for Greece and inevitably they get behind. They were losing to Qatar by 16 points early in the second qtr and went in the half leading. They were losing to Lithuania 38-48 early in the second half. When Vspan took charge and led them to a 14-4 run and a 56-52 lead. He was almost involved in every play scoring passing and stealing the ball in that stretch. It is almost like he can will his team to victory. It's not like he is so much more talented than others but it is like he is so confident and under pressure he gets better. Forget about instant offense he is intant everything.

For those who think he is not true pg well i would have to emphatically disagree. He does exactly what you want from a pg, he controls the flow of the game. He will have to improve his shooting touch but he can hit an open 3 in the NBA. It's just that noone on Greece draws double teams except for him so rarely does he get a wide open look. On the Rockets that will absolutely not be the case. Also 3-point shooting is the one thing a player can improve. Look at Bibby his 1st season with the Grizzlies he shot 20% and last season almost 40%, Billups 1st season 33% and last season 44%. Vspan's shooting will improve and I would venture to say he already is better than Rafer. He will need a little development time to adjust to the NBA but he should be are starting PG at some point. So now the key is will JVG give the rookie the opportunity to develop on the court

#13 Old Man Rock, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  14. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Gotta love his penetrate and dish. Yeah he can't hit the 3's too well but man he moves pretty well without the ball. I'd love to see vspan, novak, tmac, battier and yao all on the floor at once. lotta hustlers who will move around, rebound, space the floor and dish it out to an open novak/battier/tmac.

and hopefully he'll be in there makin open layups and penetrating more than skip did last season. geez.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah that was what I noticed in both games. He created so many open looks for his teammates and they could not convert. But with Battier Tmac and Yao on the court, the rockets should fair better.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

thanks so much for the flick and the work that went into it.

I think we have a player here. He really seems to have a head for the game .

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

My biggest worry about Span was that he wasn't very quick. He looks pretty damn fast in this video, though. Passing looked really good, too: Always nice to have another guy who can run the break.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He isn't that quick but he seems to have a knack for getting around his man in one on one situations. Like someone said earlier, he will benefit from the NBA tradition of man to man defense. He could be a good energy guy off the bench for us. He defense against quicker PGs should be interesting.

19. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Dude - Thanks for the Vid - Awesome Work !!

I agree w/ the penetrate and dish - Span was creating a ton of open looks for teamates by getting deep into the lane. He has that Casell-like deceptive quickness

20. Summer Song Giver

He seems in on a lot of the action, that is a good thing. His shot is not beautiful but goes in at a respectable clip. His dribble drive and dish is very good, but his finish doesn't seem to be where it needs to be. All of this being from one game though it is pretty encouraging, he is always around the ball and involved in every aspect of the game, seems to have a nose for the game, and uses smarts to compensate for not being the most athletic. I like his dribble drives, he seems to dribble the ball three to four feet out in front of himself the simply catches up to the ball, he pushes the ball out to where he is going and then catches up to it. Fun to watch :)