1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span Scout Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

cool ^^ I'll make another clip if you guys want for that aswell. ;)

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Cheers. That would be really nice Realjad. :)

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Before you say this kid is a better point guard than Rafer Alston maybe you should see him in one NBA game. We blew out China by 40 twice. The team Span is playing "against" would get worked by China. If thats not level D competition I dont know what is.

To Old man rocks view on Span as point guard...

Edit I meant the team he was playing against Qatan would get beat by China.

#43 RudyTBag, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  4. rocketsmetalspd

This guy has something about him that I believe will make him a goo fit for the Rockets. V-Span has some qualities that you can't discount the guy. He will be the spark off the bench and he does not look wimpy. :D

5. basketballman

basketballman Member

No offense but you have no clue what you're talking about.

6. basketballman

basketballman Member

Just to elaborate on the above, just in case someone didn't understand. I don't mean to offend any chinese people here but Greece has a much better team than China.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Exactly, I'll settle for seeing him in some pre-season games before conceding the starting PG position to him just yet. I just don't see that V is a better ball handler or distributer of the ball than Rafer and his outside shot is just as suspect and isn't that the reason everyone sees Rafer as a backup PG because of that erratic shot. Yeah he hustles and drives to the basket but I have not seen one clip of him taking anybody off the dribble and dunking the ball like Jason Terry or Dwayne Wade. I hope the kid works out but Jasikevicius who had a better and longer resume coming out of the Euro Leagues didn't take Tinsleys job away and didn't set the league on fire.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Please stop posting!

eh, Thank you...

9. butch mcrae

butch mcrae Member

I never said he was a bust, i simply questioned his fit on the rockets. He will get better, thats expected. But it is very hard to change a player's game.

The other moves just made more sense. Battier's game brings what we lack, outside spot up shooting, perimeter defense, a starter who can play off yao and tmac. Lucas brings speed, outside shooting, depth at the pg, a third string spark. To me, vpans game is just too similar to rafers. I thought the reason JVG was specifically asking for 3 pgs last season is because he wants rafer to split minutes with another proven solid pg who brought something different than what rafer brings. we know what skip brings to the table, we just want it in less minutes. too many minutes and rafers game is erratic, splitting his minutes with a polar opposite such as a mike james, makes his game highly effective. you get your shooter without denying tmac and yao their touches. vspan just seems more like a project rather than a proven guy. I'm not saying he is not gonna get better. But for us to be in win now mode, the fit is just weird, thats all.

I don't want him to be a bust, I want him to be the incarnate of bobby sura, is that asking too much?

10. ty185

ty185 Member

In all fairness, I think knot probably meant the team vspan played AGAINST, instead of WITH. In that case, I could agree with him, and let's see what can he do against a better team than Qatar first. :)

11. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

The guy is right. I watched China play Qatar last year (or the year before) in the Asian Basketball Championships and Team China had no problem beating them. As I said earlier, they are worst team than China.

I also don't like judging a player off of a highlight mix because you can make ANYONE look good with a highlight mix. If you were able to tell how good somebody his based of a highlight mix, then Stro would be a superstar. :D

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I know for some of you this is the main source of news about Rockets but there are other games being played besides what is posted. For example the Greek team blew out Germany a week ago in CHina and Vspan was the player of the game. They played a solid game against France a team loaded with NBA players and Parker was healthy then. This is the same France team that blew out Brazil a few days afyter Brazil almost upset USA. It's also the same France less Parker that gave Argentina a run for their money in the WC's and Everyone knows how Argentina beat USA in Athens. They beat Lithuania 2 nights ago and les you forget Lithuania almost beat USA in Sydney and Athens. So please don't tell me they are playing level D competition. They are in the toughest group in the WC's and irregardless of who they are playing Spanu is playing well and getting better each game.

Oh and for those who want to defend Rafer over him. I never said he was better than Rafer I said his 3 point shooting is probably already better than Rafer's 32% shooting. And I will concede I could be wrong. As for ready to take Rafer's job. Of course he is not ready to do that. Not only does he have no NBA experience, he has to come in and learn one of the most completed defenses. Not to mention the fact that he is coming to a new country and a different language and he won't get any sympathy from a coach who has no tolerance for rookie mistakes. But from what I've seen and I've seen more than most he has what it takes to make it in the NBA and in time should be better than anything we have right now. I know that is a bold statement but it is based the guys whole package. He passes well he plays defense well he know how to jump into the passing lane to get steals he knows how to get position for charges. And he is like ice when the game is on the line. So you can disagree with that but don't misquote me.

13. basketballman

basketballman Member

Fair enough, but he played just as well against Lithuania who is better than both Qatar and China. I think it's ok if people are not convinced because they haven't seen him in NBA action, but personally I believe he will be a very good player for the Rockets.

14. Old Man Rock

That wasn't highlight mix that was most of the plays Spanu was involved in good and bad. You don't put charges and blocks against you in highlight mixes. He even left out a good steal before he shot those technical free throws for a break away foul not to mention a couple good passes where the player didn't convert.

15. Old Man Rock

Let me clear up what I was trying to say. I was refering to anyone who might believe he is a bust and not specific to you.

As for him changing there is not much about him I would want to be different. IMO His game is perfect for the Rockets he only needs to improve on what he already does. As for being a copy of Rafer. I don't see that. In fact I would go so far as to say he is more like Mike James. Of course he can't shoot like James but that is one area I believe most NBA players can improve if they so desire. Hell Mike James is living proof of that. His first full season in the NBA he shot under 30% and last year he shot over 44%. Add to the fact that he will eventually play better D and play with more intensity and be the consummate team player with no egocentric hidden agendas and I think he could develop into a solid starting PG for the Rockets for many years to come. Of course that is just my opinion.

As for him playing like Rafer I actually playing more like James than Rafer and

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if he can't shoot then the the defense roll out inviting the outside shot. much like avery johnson he will have to hit that outside jumper consisitently or the defense will back off the pick and roll.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

is he like sarunas marcuilonis (however you spell it)

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bingo. Like all new players to the NBA, a "book" will be "written" about V-Span once everyone figures out his tendencies and weaknesses. How he adjusts once teams focus on taking away his strengths will be the story of his first season as a Rocket.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yea, I was talking about Qatar , not Greece. Dont get me wrong I hope Vspan does well, but Its just over the top to say he will take Rafers position come mid-season.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member