1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corey Brewer Traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 19, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of Troy Daniels and two second round picks for Corey Brewer?

1. YES

662 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. NO

44 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love this. And to think, we still have our core and our NO pick. This move is going to make several positions better. Can't wait to see it on the court.

2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Holy shiiiiiiiii! I want to see more of that this year!

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

DUDE! that is incredible! even if brewer wasnt coming here! and its on fisher!

bravo.

4. i3artow i3aller

:eek: Poor Tr3y :rolleyes:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Did <a href="https://twitter.com/MyFoxHouston">@MyFoxHouston</a> just use a pic from a video game for ex <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets">@HoustonRockets</a> player Troy Daniels? Wow! <a href="http://t.co/l7LTKmCXnN">pic.twitter.com/l7LTKmCXnN</a></p>&mdash; J Ceynar (@Jpceynar) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jpceynar/status/546146141159444480">December 20, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  5. Mattician

Mattician Member

I think he'll be a good fit. He should help on transition.

6. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Yeesh if we get TJones back soon and land a quality bench addition or two by the next deadline we may actually have a pretty darn good bench after all. How is this team doing so well!??

7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I really liked troy, he just didn't work hard enough on his defense. I knew he was out when Mchale basically said he didn't get "up on people" in an interview.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

LMAO!

1 person likes this.
  9. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

So does this mean we can stop playing Joey Dorsey? :rolleyes:

10. Ghost_of_Akeem

We need Dorsey to play the enforcer role. We put him in to goon out on the other team and take out their best guy if possible.

No mercy, if he gets tossed that's fine. He served his purpose which is to make the other team suffer a potential loss thus becoming less effective.

11. Ghost_of_Akeem

Rockets need to go 80's Pistons with this squad. Make the other team fear suiting up, play physical and give no quarter.

12. Asian Sensation

I'm late to the party but I just wanna say I love this move. We are now 1 big step closer. The final piece will be a borderline Star at the PG spot like Dragic or hopefully a big man like Millsap, Horford or Gibson etc.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Any of those three bigs would do the trick. Problem is you like them. So do I. Most importantly, their team too. With the way Chicago and Atlanta are playing, I do not see how Morey will get one of those guys.

14. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Thats not going to happen... Dorsey isn't taking anyone off their game except the Rockets...

REBOUND THEN PASS THE BALL BIG FELLA!!!

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am excited to hear that Corey is enthusiastic about joining the Rockets. I welcome him and Shved to our team.

16. Asian Sensation

It can be done. With Morey anything is possible. Remember 3 years ago when Kevin Martin was our best player? Look where we are now. With the price of Donuts increasing and other assets like Papa being just that an (Morey's favorite word). The chips are aligning.... We're ready to make a splash.. Just need a few more things to fall into place or fall out of place for other teams. "Soon".

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I am going out on a limb and state that both new players will help us tremendously, only because they have had substantial NBA experience, especially Brewer.

You add Brewer, Alexey, and the returning Terry, who we badly missed for the past two games, and we are talking about some good depth right there.

The frontcourt depth is still a problem, made worse by the prolonged absence of Jones. Dude was beasting in the 3-4 games he played for us. Dang injuries.

Above all, we need all of our players to get and stay healthy. Things are looking up for the Rockets at 19-6.

18. Ghost_of_Akeem

The mindset needs to change, we have meat on the team now. Meat is good but it needs to be used effectively.

Opposing teams want to throw in scrubs to hack Dwight and other frontcourt players and send them to the line.

It's time we make them pay for this by sending out an H-town Goon squad that Vernon Maxwell himself would be proud of. Stomp these ****ers into the ground and make them beg their coaches not to send them on to the floor.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The people who keep emphasizing Brewer the defender are really missing his true value and one of the big keys to what made our offense so good last year. Skimming through this thread, I could only find two mentions of what is really important about the Corey Brewer acquisition.

Props to these two for pointing it out.

The truth is Corey Brewer is pretty much an average all around NBA player, but he is ELITE in transition.

I would HIGHLY recommend people read Dr. Of Dunk's article quoted above and then watch the Brewer highlights video where he scored 51 against the Rockets. If you pay attention, you will note that 30 of those points came off of transition plays using the same methods outlined in the article.

If you take a look at the 2013/14 vs. 2014/2015 team stats:
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/fastbreak-efficiency

You will note that Houston's 2014 fast break efficiency dropped by nearly 30% from 2013, dropping us from 1st to 10th. (Mostly due to losing Parsons). It's no secret last years team and this years team have taken a complete 180 in terms of offensive and defensive effectiveness. Rebuilding the offense is the logical next step in improvement.

Please also note how much Minnesota's transition efficiency increased (26%) when they nabbed Brewer away from Denver in 2013:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/fastbreak-efficiency?date=2014-06-15

Now it's worth mentioning that Denver didn't lose a tremendous amount of transition when Brewer left but they did lose some. Could be anomaly, or maybe I'm full of ****.

Make no mistake. This was a calculated addition by Morey to help address a huge weakness in the Rockets offense. I see a lot of folks talking about three point shooting, but remember the other part of our system is lay ups and the best way to get a layup is in transition.

#579 larsv8, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Finally! Glad it's him and not Rondo, but not expecting much although he can't be worse on offense than Garcia.