1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GM wants Teddy, HC wants Clowney, Owner wants Manziel?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

The Ravens won the super bowl the year before and their defense was average at best... Bobby likes to make the straw man argument. Especially considering in the last decade Pittsburgh and Seattle are arguably the only two teams to win a super bowl with a dominant defense.

What happened to Baltimore last year had a lot to do with Ray Rice falling off a cliff and losing Boldin. People with agendas tend to focus only on the particular to make their point and ignore the entire picture.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes but those teams kept drafting defensive players (and 0-linemen) in the early rounds to improve the defense.

Carson Palmer had a 51 QBR and the defence was top 7 in the league. I think it had more to do with the defence than the QB.

A decent QB + an elite DEFENCE > an elite QB + mediocre DEFENCE. That's my point. Feel free to disagree but I think history proves me right.

3. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

Defense is important but we're talking about the impact of a single player. The QB is always the most important player on the team. There are exceptions, but almost always the QB has a much bigger impact on the game and the teams overall record than any other SINGLE player. Watt might be the best player in the NFL, but we only won 2 games last year.

Bobby is comparing the entire defensive unit to the impact of the QB. Not the same.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Just the same those teams defenses have been good for YEARSSSS but they still had losing records. And Seattle won a super bowl and their defense is built on none-1st round picks and free agent cast offs. The only big time 1st round pick on that defense is Earl Thomas who is a safety... And that's the ONLY team in that group with a championship.

In the new era of offense _ history proves you wrong. "Dominate" defenses that win championships are far and few between.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

None-1st round picks? But what round did they find their QB?

6. Remii

Remii Member

The 3rd round... So I'm taking that you believe every team can do that... Here's one for you _ what round was their best pass rusher Bennett drafted in...??? He was undrafted.So why burn a #1 pick on Clowney.

You see. I can do that too :)

7. Remii

Remii Member

Pittsburgh best pass rushers... Porter was a 3rd round pick and I believe Harrison was undrafted.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The QB "could" have a bigger impact than anyone else, or you could just pencil in a game manager like the Niners or Seahawks. There are many ways to win, you don't "need" a dominant QB, and actually most recent SB's have been won by teams without dominant QB's. The most recent SB, the team with Wilson beat the team with Peyton, before that there wasn't a dominant QB in the SB at all because teams with Brady, Manning, Rodgers and so on failed to make it but teams with Flacco and Kap made it. QB's like Flacco, Wilson, Eli, and big Ben aren't anywhere near the caliber of QB's like Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, or Brady yet recently it hasn't mattered.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm actually not suggesting that the Texans should pick Clowney. I'm just defending the argument to build the defence. If they believe adding Clowney makes a bigger upgrade to their defence than Manziel (or any of the other 2 QBs) makes to their QB, then take Clowney. An very strong defence is just as important as finding the right QB. Since they are not doing it through free agency, they better be doing it through the draft.

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Sounds like healthy dissent to me. Do you agree with your co-workers on everything?

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just draft already

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I agree I am really sick of all the hype and speculation leading up to this draft. Its ridiculous for the draft to be almost 3 months after the season is over. MLB has their draft in the middle of the season and the NBA has theirs 1 week after the season is over with no problems at all.

13. Raven

Raven Member

If the Texans draft Clowney, I expect Manziel and Bortles to be gone by the 2nd round, probably even Bridgewater. At that point, don't waste a 2nd or 3rd on a guy who probably isn't the answer. Just go with one of the dozen rejects hovering on the fringes of the league, suck it up, and look to get your QB next year.

But I hope they draft Manziel at number one, so it doesn't come to that. :)

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Too many teams have found their QB's in the 2nd or 3rd round for me to suggest a defeatist attitude, especially in a QB class this deep. Just because there isn't any top tier talent at the QB position doesn't mean that there isn't numerous guys that could be molded into "your guy", if BOB is half the QB guru he's touted as he'll be able to work with one of these guys in the 2nd or 3rd allowing the Texans to take the BPA and still addressing the QB position in the same draft.

That said, we're looking at either Fitz or Keenum starting for us next year no matter who is drafted, no matter what round they're drafted in.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Then wait until the third round. Is there really much difference between what's left in this year's second and what's left in this year's third?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They could very well do that, I think it just depends on what is on the board when 33 comes around and what offers are on the table for the pick.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Forget that... Wait until the 4th or 5th round. O'Brien said there isn't much separation in the quarterbacks so why spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on one if that's the case.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Russell Wilson is just a " game manager?" LOL

He extended plays with his legs and found receivers on the run. He would scramble to pick up first downs. He made plays. You can't win a Super Bowl without a playmaking QB.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure he's a bit more than your run of the mill game manager because he does have good wheels, but his role on the team is to be a game manager. RW isn't taking over many games with his arm, it's just not how he's properly used. Also the BS "You can't win a Super Bowl without a playmaking QB" line is just wrong. The Seahawks would have beat the Broncos in the last SB with literally any QB in the NFL, their defense and running game was that dominant. Now getting there is a different story, they needed a QB who would protect the ball and essentially do no harm while throwing the ball maybe 20 times a game, other than when they went up against SF and another game manager with wheels, Wilson threw the ball about half as often as the other QB.

You would expect most teams to ask their top tier QB's (guys like Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees)to throw the ball around 35-40 times a game in the playoffs, you simply can't ask someone like Kap or Wilson to do that, they just aren't that kind of QB.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yes, Wilson is a game manager.

They were also one of the top (and most frequent) running teams in the league.