1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayweather Vs. Pacquiao I

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by sugrlndkid, Jan 31, 2015.

1. VanityHalfBlack

I'd say this is going to be an evenly boxing match. It will go the distance. It will resemble the Jones jr vs hopkins II bout. Both slow and old and 5 yrs past their prime.

2. dragician

dragician Member

what's the agreed fighting weight?

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

No way its like Jones-BHop II, at least I hope not. Jones was already a shot fighter by the time that happened. Floyd and Manny are still two of the best fighters in the world.

Agreed fighting weight is 147. 60/40 Split in favor of Floyd, both using their normal gloves and no rematch clause for either fighter.

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man, I'm so excited, I don't even know what to say. My gut seems to agree with the favorite, especially since Pac's opposition has been less than stellar lately, and he really didn't prove anything in his fights post-KO (to me).

So call me weird, but I found the way May announced the fight kind of strange. Just a social media post on "shots." Not twitter or whatnot. No huge announcement, no huge promo tour either right? I mean, I get it, you don't have to promo the fight for fans like us, but for the general public? A la ODH vs. Mayweather? I don't know how the promotion was for that fight, but the whole world knew about it. Even "non-boxing" people.

Again, just seems weird.

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

Well, per usual for Mayweather, he was looking to capitalize monetarily on this ordeal since he is invested in Shots. That's why he was upset about the fight leaking since he wanted to announce on Shots... contractually, he was given the right to make the announcement. Anyway, I find Mayweather's unabashed worship for money a bit disturbing.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Don't know what "Shots" is. :confused: I heard it through SportsCenter's facebook page.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This should be funny

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/man...is-own-entrance-song-for-the-mayweather-fight

Hopefully Mayweather walks out with Bieber.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ApG8XVjlV1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. ferrari77

Was just thinking about this fight and wondering

Isn't it a sad indictment on boxing that this fight would have been the most anticipated fight of the decade if it happened in 2010 or 2011/12 when everyone wanted it too AND YET it is still going to be considered the most anticipated fight (of the last 10+ years) in boxing?

I'm still gonna watch though. Plus I'm definitely returning to watching 24/7 for this fight after skipping 24/7 for all the other Mayweather fights and Pacquiao fights.

9. ferrari77

Also, I wonder how pissed off Amir Khan must be. He thought he was next in line to lose to Mayweather and now Pacquiao cuts in front of him in the line(even though Pacquaio might say "i was here first I just told so and so to keep my space in line").

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think they said no 24/7 or All Access for this fight. Can't have Floyd telling his version on All Access where he is the/an executive producer, and have 24/7 tell a different story.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

there will be similar stuff though just not under that banner.

12. astros123

astros123 Member

khan said he wants to see the fight and doesnt blame mayweather that hes fighting pacquio......

13. ferrari77

Ah ok thanks for that. I figured he'd be bitter but I guess he still has levels to get to. Marquez is out there for him if Khan wants to test himself.

Thx. I figure both HBO and Showtime will air the behind the scenes feature-whenever they decide what to call it and how to go about airing it.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol how is it sad? its only sad it took this long to happen. i mean, why wouldnt this still be the most anticipated fight of all combat sports? its so rare that two of the best, who also happen to be the most popular, are in the same weight class and are facing off.

Other than the Super Bowl, can you think of any other events that will be bigger than this fight? Not even just the USA, this is a global event. There is nothing sad about this still being the most anticipated fight in sports. Because the fight is bigger than the sport itself. This fight transcends boxing.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Because Manny is not that good anymore and it should be an easy win for Mayweather's no-risk point your way to victory style. Not excited at all to see it, but will anyway. I'm just planning to hear everyone complain after the fight because how much of a let down it was. All I'm going to say is what do you expect from a Mayweather fight?

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has lost one fight where he lunged into a punch. He was beating up jmm. The loss to Alexander was a travesty. No way he lost that. It was just the judges.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He never fought Alexander. You're thinking of the first fight with Bradley

1 person likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

I agree. The more I think about it, this could be one for the ages. This match is going to be nothing but style and it's going to rule so hard.

19. what

what Member

some of the best fights are at the end of elite boxers careers.

boxing really don't have any superstars these days, but for the purest out there, there are some great fighters.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Freddie Roach says Al Haymon is paying potential Pacquiao sparring partners, more money to stay at home then to spar with Manny. LOL its starting to get heated

http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...ther-camp-blocking-pacquiao-sparring-partners