1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That New Orleans pick is starting to look good.... (FINAL: Will be 18th pick)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 21, 2015.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

NBA All-Stars from the past 4 years taken outside of the top 10 picks:

Kobe Bryant
    Jimmy Butler
    Marc Gasol
    Roy Hibbert
    Jrue Holiday
    Kyle Korver
    David Lee
    Kyle Lowry
    Paul Millsap
    Steve Nash
    Tony Parker
    Zach Randolph
    Rajon Rondo
    Jeff Teague
    Klay Thompson

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I want to package our NYK (#31) and Pels (#10-14?) picks to move up for this guy. NBA ready and can do it all!!!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nice

Rocket River

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

if Morey is drafting for need instead of potential

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

No. Cauley-Stein could be both BPA and need... WCS could already be an elite P&R defender and solid rim protector in the league.... he is that good.

Tyson Chandler but 21 years old.

6. showa13

showa13 Member

I'd love Cauley-Stein with this pick, but we need a PG. I doubt Russel from Ohio State would fall to us, but Tyus Jones will be there and I think he has Chris Paul/Mike Conley potential

7. basketballholic

Don't see that myself. He looks very small to me. And I think we favor bigger, longer point guards. I have been watching Jerian Grant. I think he is either Horace's or Harvey's son. About 6'5". Very long at the point. Sees the floor well and makes the right plays. Great passer. And finishes well at the rim and looks for contact. But...not a good outside shooter. Would like to see if he has some Jimmy Butler in him and will work hard to improve his outside stroke. He's got plenty of size to make his distance stroke work without straining.

I would not use #14 on Jones if we keep it. I'd either try to get Kevin Looney or possibly Jerian Grant or possibly go all-in and trade up for one of KAT or Russell (probably not possible), or even consider punting the pick for a less protected pick in next year's draft.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

if Morey is drafting for potential it will be another PF
    he is not going to draft a C or PG

9. valorita

valorita Member

We are destined for the 14th pick.
    We should just permanently be alloted that slot.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Curious why you make that statement?

Pat Beverley 6'1"
    Jason Terry 6'2"
    Isaiah Canaan 6'0"
    Jeremy Lin 6'3"
    Brooks 6'0"
    Tony Douglas 6'2"
    Goran Dragic 6'3"
    Kyle Lowry 6'0"
    Ish Smith 6'0"
    Wil Conroy 6'2"
    Rafer Alston 6'2"
    Steve Francis 6'3"
    Bobby Jackson 6'1"
    Mike James 6'2"
    John Lucas 5'11"
    Vassilis Spanoulis 6'4"

Those are most of the point guards from the Daryl Morey era. Only 4 of them are above 6'2" and of those, only Goran Dragic and Jeremy Lin (both 6'3") every had any amount of measurable playing time. VSpan is the only PG at least 6'4" and he only lasted one season and was gone.

I have no problem with your logic on who to draft or why to draft them I just don't think Daryl Morey shares your logic. If the best point guard available (according to Daryl Morey) is bigger and longer then I think he drafts him, but if he is built more like Kyle Lowry or Aaron Brooks then I don't think he hesitates to draft the smaller point guard.

If the best player available is someone other than a point guard then don't expect Daryl to draft a point guard. The one thing we should have learned about Daryl is that he never, ever drafts for need. Daryl always drafts the best player available or the player with what he thinks has the highest upside.

11. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Heck, we got jones and dmo after 13/14...get a player of that quality and there should be no complaints.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tyus Jones is a true PG, a Mike Conley type, perhaps not as good as him. He isn't an elite talent like Chris Paul.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

By the way, the nbadraft website has us drafting a PF from Kentucky, Trey Lyles. I could see that. Chuck Hayes PF (Kentucky), Patrick Patterson PF (Kentucky), Terrence Jones PF (Kentucky).... Trey Lyles PF(Kentucky)?

- Would Daryl see him as a possible replacement for either Jones or DMo once their rookie contracts are up?

- Does Daryl think paying both DMo & Jones what they are almost certainly going to get on the open market is good for the team?

Both DMo and TJones are going to be free agents in the summer of 2016 which is the year of the big salary cap jump. If both players stay on their current trajectory then some team is going to back a dump truck full of money to their door step.

- Dwight Howard has the ability to opt out that summer so we could be in negotiations with him as well to retain his services.

- Coincidentally, Kevin Durant will also be a free agent that same summer so the Rockets will almost certainly be going hard after KG.

I'm not saying the Rockets will go into the draft looking for a Power Forward, but they may already know they may not want to pay both DMo and TJones in the summer of 2016. If that is the case then drafting a rookie scale PF in 2015 with the ability to replace one of them off of the bench in 2016 makes all of the sense in the world.

And to be clear, I'm not advocating drafting Trey Lyles or suggesting he is even worthy of a lottery pick. I haven't seen him play a single second. My only intent is to point out that DM will draft the best player available regardless of need or how stacked/thin we appear to be a a particular position. Remember Aaron Brooks.

#173 crash5179, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You need a big name to get money off other teams, for example Dallas was the only suitor willing to give Parsons the max, and Cuban only did it for personal reasons. You need to be somewhat of a "rising star" to be given money, and I don't think Tjones and DMo have that kind of hype yet, at least when you compare them to bigger names like Greg Monroe for example. Let's see what happens in FA but I would be extremely suprised if DMo and Tjones get deal at 10M up...unless it's due to inflation because of the cap increasing as well.

15. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

I could see us getting Devin Booker. Great 3pt shooter

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It happens fairly frequently that when multiple teams with cap space(in this case all of them) lose out on the handful of true stars, that teams with space start overpaying for the next available pieces. I could see either Dmo or Jones being the beneficiary of that kind of deal depending which teams are spenders and what their needs are.

17. saleem

He is slow and lacks size.

18. omgTHEpotential

Do others possible selections at that spot have no flaws?..

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He's 6'6

20. saleem

I never said that, I feel that his game may not translate well until a couple of years later. I would prefer to see a more ready player, or a player with more upside.